SONY NW-ZX500
May 11, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #7,262 of 8,639
Well that’s a consumer friendly system!
Seems like Sony is still hard focused on developing the 360RA algorithms as we speak. Not sure if it is my new ear photo being more matched up or Sony did some changes again. After uploading new ear photo data today. I felt that I am hearing much stronger 360 surround sound on my Walkman music app playing regular stereo music files.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #7,263 of 8,639
Hi, im using zx505 + newest international fw, can i go back to stock chinese fw?
I went from international to Chinese and didn't enjoy the hassle of trying to get the Play Store on there for USB Audio Player Pro. Turns out, to sidegrade back to international, all was needed is to have the 507 in airplane mode. Of course, you have to have the firmware downloaded and on a memory card...

May 12, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #7,264 of 8,639
Hello. This is my first post on this forum, even though I have been reading it for many years. I've never had a Sony Walkman, and for a while now I have the MDR-Z1R headphones which I love and are my main headphones. Currently they are paired with the Shanling M8 player and form a successful combination, but I couldn't resist trying the Sony + Sony combo, so I bought the ucapped version of the ZX507 on the Japanese Amazon. Yesterday late in the evening I got the package, so there was only an hour-long test. The first impression after opening the box is how small it is, too small for it to sound well. I was prepared for quite a disappointment. But ok, I connected the Z1R via the 4.4 socket and the stock Sony cable, hign gain, volume 85/120 and press play. And I was amazed because it sounded spectacular. Full bass, very open and lively midrange, smooth and detailed treble. A sound with powerful dynamics, very musical and immediately engaging but not tiring. Compared to the Shanling M8, I have the impression that the sound is more aerated, that the vocals (and the whole midrange) are more forward and sound more airy, seductive, more real for me. In addition, the treble is more pronounced, there is more detail there, but there is no harshness at all. As for me, the player sounds great right out of the box, I do not feel any sharpness, lack of bass/dynamics, sybilance etc. I could not even warm it, but of course I will do it, since Sony recommends it.
I am 100% Tidal user, the listening session took place in the native Tidal application, only Hi-Res Streaming was enabled in options and I can without hesitatation say that, in relation to the Shanling M8, I do not feel that there is no bit-perfect here. In a blind test, I would never find it out, everything sounds beautiful. Many say that if you care mainly about streaming, it's better to look elsewhere. Well, I do not confirm this thesis in any way.
From the negatives, unfortunately I noticed one bright (not dead) pixel right on the left edge, but I don't think I'm going to make a problem out of it. These are the first impressions, but it is possible that the Shanling M8 will go on sale one day :)

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #7,265 of 8,639
@herovego
Have you added the MDR-Z1R as wired headphone in the headphone app and do the necessary ear photo profile upload using your smartphone? This procedure will affect the soundstage and imaging you will hear on the Zx507 even if you are just playing offline stereo music files.

Do remember to update the headphone app to 7.5.0 on the Google AppStore as well.

May 12, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #7,266 of 8,639
@Sonywalkmanuser
So far, there was only a quick test yesterday, so I haven't tested any other options/programs yet. By the way, the player came completely discharged and had soft 4.01 installed. So far direct mode seems to be perfect for me. In general, I am not a fan of using equalizers and other software sound enhancers, but of course I will play with DSEE, Vinyl Processor, headphone app etc. and see if it sounds even better. But this is not a priority for me, sound in Direct Mode is the most important.

May 12, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #7,267 of 8,639
@Sonywalkmanuser
So far, there was only a quick test yesterday, so I haven't tested any other options/programs yet. By the way, the player came completely discharged and had soft 4.01 installed. So far direct mode seems to be perfect for me. In general, I am not a fan of using equalizers and other software sound enhancers, but of course I will play with DSEE, Vinyl Processor, headphone app etc. and see if it sounds even better. But this is not a priority for me, sound in Direct Mode is the most important.
Even if you enable direct source, you cannot totally escape from sound processing especially so on Sony Walkman which is known for own unique house sound. Also if you enable direct source, the sound coming from UAPP, Neutron Player and Walkman Music app will all sound different from one and other. the headphone app with profile setup will affect how the zx507 sounds system wide: android audio path and bit perfect path

In my opinion, Sony DSP has come a long way, especially for DSEE Ultimate, which now is quite matured and isn’t as artificial sounding as compared to how it sounded in the DSEE HX iterations. And the DC phase Linearizer is very useful to control how bass transient behaves, it does help to reduce fatigue on heavy bass headphones or improve how BA armature driver bass sound If set right.

Sony seems to have placed a lot of emphasis on ZX507 sound processing capabilities. Even listening to lossy encoded Spotify on the ZX507 feels a lot different as compared to listening on iPhone or Android phone, it’s not about the frequency response but a much more different sound dynamics.

Since you are still on the 4.01, take your time to experience the sound then upgrade to 4.02 once you have heard enough.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #7,268 of 8,639
Hello. This is my first post on this forum, even though I have been reading it for many years. I've never had a Sony Walkman, and for a while now I have the MDR-Z1R headphones which I love and are my main headphones. Currently they are paired with the Shanling M8 player and form a successful combination, but I couldn't resist trying the Sony + Sony combo, so I bought the ucapped version of the ZX507 on the Japanese Amazon. Yesterday late in the evening I got the package, so there was only an hour-long test. The first impression after opening the box is how small it is, too small for it to sound well. I was prepared for quite a disappointment. But ok, I connected the Z1R via the 4.4 socket and the stock Sony cable, hign gain, volume 85/120 and press play. And I was amazed because it sounded spectacular. Full bass, very open and lively midrange, smooth and detailed treble. A sound with powerful dynamics, very musical and immediately engaging but not tiring. Compared to the Shanling M8, I have the impression that the sound is more aerated, that the vocals (and the whole midrange) are more forward and sound more airy, seductive, more real for me. In addition, the treble is more pronounced, there is more detail there, but there is no harshness at all. As for me, the player sounds great right out of the box, I do not feel any sharpness, lack of bass/dynamics, sybilance etc. I could not even warm it, but of course I will do it, since Sony recommends it.
I am 100% Tidal user, the listening session took place in the native Tidal application, only Hi-Res Streaming was enabled in options and I can without hesitatation say that, in relation to the Shanling M8, I do not feel that there is no bit-perfect here. In a blind test, I would never find it out, everything sounds beautiful. Many say that if you care mainly about streaming, it's better to look elsewhere. Well, I do not confirm this thesis in any way.
From the negatives, unfortunately I noticed one bright (not dead) pixel right on the left edge, but I don't think I'm going to make a problem out of it. These are the first impressions, but it is possible that the Shanling M8 will go on sale one day :)

Nice to see another 507 user from our beautiful country. :)

I'd recommend replacing your unit, Amazon's support is excellent and they should help you with it. You'll have issues with reselling a defective unit later on. I tried to sell my 507 for almost 5 months, and in the end, I had to reduce the price significantly, even though it was in perfect condition...

May 13, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #7,269 of 8,639
@smilealittlebit
I welcome too :)
Today, out of curiosity, I wrote to the Amazon support asking if such a defect (dead pixels) makes it possible for me to apply for a replacement. It turned out that there was no problem with it, the consultant filled in the replacement application himself and today the shipment of the new unit was ordered. I hope it will be flawless this time.

May 13, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #7,270 of 8,639
I hope so too, but in my experience, I bought 3 newer DAPs recently and they all had dead pixels or stuck subpixels. They might not appear as soon as you turn it on, but a few hours later they'll get stuck and you can see it at max brightness on black backgrounds at certain angles. I've had it happen to two ZX507s and even my Astell&Kern SR25. Funnily enough, cheaper/older DAPs like the NW-A55 and ZX300 don't have these issues…

May 13, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #7,271 of 8,639

Very nice you like it. It's a warm and musical DAP. Streaming Tidal through UAPP sounds even better but in my opinion playing local files with the Sony app sounds absolutely great.

My unit also has a dead pixel but it doesn't bother me. I've bought a year ago from accessory jack and I would need to send it back for replacement.

May 15, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #7,272 of 8,639
I have started to use mine again after a year of no commute / social distancing / not going out much - so no IEMs.

Not sure if it’s an expiry period or a new Qobuz account but I am having to offline download all my favourite albums again.

the unit gets quite hot and gets cranky about a long queue of downloads (over 50 songs) and it quits unexpectedly. So I am downloading albums slowly one by one...very tedious.

Battery life still really terrible, (as annoying as a first gen iPhone). But size / weight / portabily / sound quality = still amazing.

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #7,273 of 8,639
Any ideas what the last update improved?

May 16, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #7,274 of 8,639
Any ideas what the last update improved?

According to Sony it was just a security update (4.02):

• Provides Security Updates (The security level displayed in the Settings menu will be as of March 2021)

May 17, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #7,275 of 8,639
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back