SONY NW-ZX500
Nov 18, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #6,031 of 8,642
I hadn't been using my ZX300 much recently while out walking, I was lazy and just used my Samsung S20 with Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 (TW2) which I bought during the summer. I decided to try the ZX300 with the TW2 this morning while walking and couldn't believe the difference in sound quality versus with the S20, quite incredible. I know from a purist perspective wired will of course be better (I like wirless for walking) but very interesting to hear such a difference having had a few months of S20 + TW2 to ZX300 + TW2.

Placed my order for the ZX507 from Accessory Jack, look forward to its arrival.

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #6,032 of 8,642
Thanks... It's one of those things where I go to look for a cable and realize how little I know about any of this. There's so many options.

Any basic and well made USB C will do. The more expensive ones are often related to their power capacities. Since USB C is now used to charge laptops and all, it needs to be able to manage a lot more power than what the ZX507 can handle. With the ZX507, any will do.

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #6,033 of 8,642
Any basic and well made USB C will do. The more expensive ones are often related to their power capacities. Since USB C is now used to charge laptops and all, it needs to be able to manage a lot more power than what the ZX507 can handle. With the ZX507, any will do.

Well like a good audiophool I figured more expensive must mean better so I splurged and spent the extra $5. Ha ha

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #6,034 of 8,642
Quick note about the latest firmware for the ZX 507 (UK-EU version) - 3.00.07

Very dangerous, watch out.

Nearly blew my ear drum with it's new bluetooth volume management using my Senn Momentum's (which work 100% fine - tested on various devices)

Touching the volume on either the zx507 or momentum once paired and when music is playing would often turn the volume to maximum.

Again, very dangerous. I might get into contact with Sony to complain. Watch out everyone..

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #6,035 of 8,642

Nearly blew my ear drum with it's new bluetooth volume management using my Senn Momentum's (which work 100% fine - tested on various devices)

Touching the volume on either the zx507 or momentum once paired and when music is playing would often turn the volume to maximum.

Again, very dangerous. I might get into contact with Sony to complain. Watch out everyone..
Strange. Doesn't the UK version have a volume cap in order to prevent such a thing in the first place?

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #6,036 of 8,642
Volume cap only ever applied to wired connections - 4.4mm and 3.5mm.
Bluetooth was always exempt which was ironic I know.

I believe in this firmware rollout, which is a major release indicated by the new integer jump, they've tried to "correct" it and apply full volume control over bluetooth. That's what it said in the notes prior to downloading the update.

Luckily I'm experienced and half anticipate this sort of stuff (i.e. botched firmware releases). I've owned a tonne of DAP's (probably 10 astell & kerns, WM1A, 1Z, questyles...etc..)
Didn't have the headphones on at the time, holding them open owing to the annoying way the momentum 3.0 switches itself off when folded.

In conclusion - in sony's attempt to implement EU volume limits over bluetooth they very nearly blew my eardrum.

Well done sony.

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #6,037 of 8,642
Yeah, they did something to block us from side-grading. I had upgraded to Chinese on the latest firmware, decided to try the International firmware, and can't go back to Chinese for the life of me. Chinese is def better soundwise. The sound is very clean and resonates with authority in all diemnsions.
In a blatant case of "misery loves company" I am glad it isn't just me. LMAO...I thought I was taking crazy pills when peeps kept insisting side-grading was quick and easy.

Nov 18, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #6,038 of 8,642

Probably worth trying a factory reset on the ZX507, to see if that will help.

Nov 18, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #6,039 of 8,642
There is a new fw out?

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #6,042 of 8,642
v3.00.07 is the most recent version - it came out 2020-Oct-10

Thats so weird I didn't update my zx507 and it seems it has self auto updated without my notice?

How odd usually we get notifications about it...

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #6,043 of 8,642
I just got a Qudelix 5K and I'm trying to figure out if the ZX507 is outputting in LDAC. I can't seem to find any settings for this. I'm not an android person so I'm a little confused where to look.
I got the Qudelix app from the play store but that doesn't seem to tell me what;s going on either.
Can anyone help out an illiterate?

**Edit... found it... geez, too many years with an iphone .. or maybe I'm just too old.. ha

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #6,044 of 8,642
I am having the Sony NW-ZX507 paired with the new Sony WH-1000XM4 for listening inside my apartment and I am really happy with the level of details and the soundstage I am hearing. For Spotify listening you hear all the details of a lossless compressed audio streaming and with Tidal HiFi I hear most of the details. DSD files play nice and I hear all the micro-details.

On average, there's a trade: you do invest 600EUR on this DAP, 100EUR on the case (I have the Sony original case sold in Asian markets, bought from eBay) and 400EUR on a pair of Sony WH-1000XM4. Are your ears happy with this? Mine yes, as the WH-1000XM4 have internal amplifier and they are way more louder than probably using a pair of earphones connected on the 4.4mm balanced output. The soundstage is great for these headphones and they have a bit more loudness than other IEMs.

To conclude, the WH-1000XM4 are an excellent pair of headphones with the NW-ZX507 via Bluetooth LDAC optimised for sound quality. Does any of you owns the WH-1000XM4 and can confirm?

The WH-1000XM4 uses and internal dac and amp, right? Seems like the 507 is over kill if you are going to use it like that since the amp and dac of the 507 is then not doing anything. You would probably be a lot better off with high quality headphones plugged into your 507 when listening inside your apartment.

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #6,045 of 8,642
The WH-1000XM4 uses and internal dac and amp, right? Seems like the 507 is over kill if you are going to use it like that since the amp and dac of the 507 is then not doing anything. You would probably be a lot better off with high quality headphones plugged into your 507 when listening inside your apartment.

Zx507 is freaking beast when it comes to bluetooth headphones. What ever you hook to it via bluetooth it sounds awesome.

🤣🤣🤣 I even hooked air pods pro and they sounded better than on Iphone it self !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back