SONY NW-ZX500
Nov 21, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #6,061 of 8,639
Nov 21, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #6,062 of 8,639
Couldn't resist and ordered a set of the Final e5000 to have a new set of earphones to go with the ZX507 when it arrives (or when I get to use it come Christmas... that will be hard to wait for). I had been reading up on them last week, lots of incredible reviews and at the time they were £219.99 - they then dropped to £159.99 (about €180 for me) on Amazon. The e4000 is also reduced to £89 from £119.
Please share some impressions about the synergy with zx507 when you'll receive it.

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #6,064 of 8,639
I bought the A105. I'm looking now at the battery, and without playing any music or using the player in any way (just with the display on), the battery is already -1% after 3-5 minutes.

I wanted to try a Sony DAP, and I was deciding between ZX507 and WM1A. I actually ordered the ZX507 from Amazon DE. They didn't ship it in about 3 days. In this time, I thought more how I already tried the M11 Pro which also has Android, and I really didn't like how at times Android was slower, and how the battery life was unsatisfactory.

Eventually, I realized I can easily use the Bluetooth Receiver function of the WM1A to stream music from my smartphone, or the USB DAC mode if I wanted to listen to music from my PC - function which is missing on the ZX507. I also liked the idea of having my own music library as well, and having this device only as a music player, without Wi-Fi capabilites and so on. Also, while on the go you don't have internet anyway. You can share internet from your smartphone, but you can as well stream music via Bluetooth Receiver from your smartphone directly.

So I cancelled the order, and I ordered the WM1A instead. It was one of the best purchase decisions I made in my entire life.

Yeah, maybe ZX507 sounds better while both players are running the stock firmware, but that is due to software, and not due to hardware.

With the custom firmware available for the WM1A, the sound quality is amazing, and I can easily leave the DAP in standby, without having to worry about battery drainage. Of course, there is also the function of auto-shutdown after the DAP was not used for a certain amount of time.

Also, why would I want a DAP that I have to do X and Y tweak in order to get more battery life, as the available one is not really enough?

I understand that I may sound biased, especially regarding the custom firmware, but you can easily check out some opinions from others who tried it as well.

I really hope Sony won't release only Android players from now on.

Peace.

Zx507 is a great sounding player with amazing sound and portability. Battery is tiny for android operations. I personally like WM1A in every aspect as compared to zx507 including the sound quality and OS. If zx507 had Sony OS, I will keep both.

My 2019 Sony android oled tv was always slow since day one, switching between apps would restart the tv, turned on and off on its own, will reboot all of a sudden, always busy in background. Finally, it died in 11 months. Sony said they will only replace it with a used set. I will never buy anything Sony+android in that price range ever.

Nov 24, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #6,066 of 8,639
My ZX507 has arrived from Accessory Jack - unfortunately part of my negotiation with my wife to justify the spend was that I'd wait till Christmas - I'm allowed briefly test (with my trusty ie8 that had countless hours of play on my ZX300 and Fiio X3 before that) that it works before it being put away till December 25th... the big kid in me loves the idea anyway of something like this under the tree! Counting down the days...

zx507.jpg

Nov 24, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #6,068 of 8,639
Lol... exactly is same boat... delivery from AccessoryJack Friday, wife allowing for a quick test and then back in the box until Christmas!!

Ha, good to know I'm not alone! I'm sure many others in the same boat. I do also have a set of the Final E5000 on the way and they didn't fall into the negotiation - I might still put them away too, nice to have a new set along with the new DAP on Christmas morning!

Nov 24, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #6,070 of 8,639
There will be enough time to charge the powerbanks 😅

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #6,072 of 8,639
Lol... exactly is same boat... delivery from AccessoryJack Friday, wife allowing for a quick test and then back in the box until Christmas!!
A suggestion for you and @Scuba Devils. You could set the Z507 on loop playback, with an earphone plugged in, and get the burn in done, while it's sitting there waiting for Christmas. Also burn in the E5000 IEM at the same time. You'd have time to burn in both the 3.5mm and the 4.4mm. And then on Xmas day, you're all set to enjoy it.

All you have to negotiate is a setup where the burn in can be done without being disturbed, or disturbing anybody else. This way, it may feel like there is a valid reason you need to wait, other than due to denial or pre-negotiation.

That is, of course, if you believe in Sony's recommendation to burn in. If a non believer, then just disregard the above suggestion.

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #6,073 of 8,639
The ZX507 has really good synergy with the Sennheiser HD25. I don't think I've ever heard the HD25 so holographic and liquid and I've been using them on and off for several years. It also does a great job at making the treble less aggressive. This is running it single ended in high gain / direct mode. People should dust their HD25's off and give it a go.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #6,074 of 8,639
Hey all, is the 507 supposed to have the walkman tape screensaver or is that only the higher end Sony DAPs?
it's only on zx507 and a105. (40 th anniversary of Walkman)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back