SONY NW-ZX500
Nov 16, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #6,016 of 8,639
Welcome!

To answer your question on the XBA-N3, I would recommend getting an uncapped ZX507 to get the absolute best out of those IEM’s. They are noticeably better with more power. The N3’s are quite bassy, and with low powered devices the bass can sound loose and undefined, which muddies up the whole presentation IMO. Conversely, an uncapped ZX507 in high gain drives them beautifully :)

If you don’t intend to stream music, there would be some advantages to going with a WM1A instead, most notably the battery life. WM1A battery life is fantastic. You’d be looking at almost 3x longer life. The other big advantage is the ability to install custom firmware to alter the sound signature of the DAP. There’s a whole thread on headfi dedicated to the custom firmware. Worth checking out. You could also buy a WM1A from a local dealer, as it’s fairly simple to remove the volume cap. The WM1A also has an extra 50mW of power from the balanced port, which isn’t a huge difference really, but it would be handy to have that extra little bit of juice if you plan to drive full size cans.

Just my 2c :)

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I figured that would be the reply alright re the ZX507 capped and the XBA-N3. It would be so easy to just order the ZX507 from Amazon on Prime and have it in a couple of days without any concerns around warranty but not if it would restrict my planned next set of IEMs - although they are actually hard to get now, Accessory Jack are one of a very few I can find them... very tempting to just go for both from them as a result. I suppose also that while I'm not planning spending big bucks on IEMs right now, that could well change in the coming months.

Meant to say also, another reason I was leaning more towards the ZX507 is for portability - especially walking my dog - size and weight vs. the WM1A a consideration but maybe not massively. No local sources for the WM1A - Amazon UK did have some but now showing as unavailble, brings me back to Accessory Jack! Ireland has never been good for DAP stockists, currently one I know of in Dublin and they only carry Fiio and A&K. I actually used to import a number of brands to include Fiio a few years ago but a tiny market so I gave it up...

Thanks again, definitely helped me decide re capped/uncapped. And the WM1A still very tempting, looks such a beautiful machine!

Nov 17, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #6,019 of 8,639
Has anyone use Yate (https://2manyrobots.com/yate) to edit Artwork and metadata on dsf format files?

I have tried, but the artwork still did not display on my Sony ZX507.
It is also interesting, annoying that the software sony player does not always see the covers and not all files with .cue can split.

Nov 17, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #6,020 of 8,639
This is not at all helpful to those who want to use Google services ( I do not), but when the next update is released, I need to remember to upgrade using the Chinese firmware (Google stuff is removed). I have tried to "side"-grade from current International firmware to current Chinese 5 times, unsuccessfully. I'll take the little bit of extra battery life.

Yeah, they did something to block us from side-grading. I had upgraded to Chinese on the latest firmware, decided to try the International firmware, and can't go back to Chinese for the life of me. Chinese is def better soundwise. The sound is very clean and resonates with authority in all diemnsions.

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #6,022 of 8,639
The player able to display the artist name and song title but not the artwork. Just wonder why?

I don't have any issues myself, everything is displayed properly. This a common problem though when you have a music library in many different format and from different sources. Did you make sure all your music was tagged properly including album cover/art? Did you also follow the manual instructions on managing album covert/art through separate files if need be? There is a section covering it, I linked it twice in this thread already. See page 342, post 5125.

I remember the days my music files were a mess for the softwares to try to fix up with very variable results. Once I decided to fix it for good, never had this problem anymore. I take the time to verify and tag properly all my CD rips and download purchase so my music is always well organized.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #6,023 of 8,639
I don't have any issues myself, everything is displayed properly. This a common problem though when you have a music library in many different format and from different sources. Did you make sure all your music was tagged properly including album cover/art? Did you also follow the manual instructions on managing album covert/art through separate files if need be? There is a section covering it, I linked it twice in this thread already. See page 342, post 5125.

I remember the days my music files were a mess for the softwares to try to fix up with very variable results. Once I decided to fix it for good, never had this problem anymore. I take the time to verify and tag properly all my CD rips and download purchase so my music is always well organized.
You also used Yate to do the tagging? And can have different Artwork display with individual song? This only happened with dsf format and I have no issue with flac format.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #6,024 of 8,639
Hey guy tiger is back 😛

Havent anybody noticed as I am no longer able to add my songs to play lists.... Like whata heck happened SONY

I can only add to bookmarks or create custom names to bookmarks and add to favorite but how come no longer able to add to playlist?

But it does read the older playlists so strange.

Nov 17, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #6,025 of 8,639
This is not at all helpful to those who want to use Google services ( I do not), but when the next update is released, I need to remember to upgrade using the Chinese firmware (Google stuff is removed). I have tried to "side"-grade from current International firmware to current Chinese 5 times, unsuccessfully. I'll take the little bit of extra battery life.

I bought the A105. I'm looking now at the battery, and without playing any music or using the player in any way (just with the display on), the battery is already -1% after 3-5 minutes.

I wanted to try a Sony DAP, and I was deciding between ZX507 and WM1A. I actually ordered the ZX507 from Amazon DE. They didn't ship it in about 3 days. In this time, I thought more how I already tried the M11 Pro which also has Android, and I really didn't like how at times Android was slower, and how the battery life was unsatisfactory.

Eventually, I realized I can easily use the Bluetooth Receiver function of the WM1A to stream music from my smartphone, or the USB DAC mode if I wanted to listen to music from my PC - function which is missing on the ZX507. I also liked the idea of having my own music library as well, and having this device only as a music player, without Wi-Fi capabilites and so on. Also, while on the go you don't have internet anyway. You can share internet from your smartphone, but you can as well stream music via Bluetooth Receiver from your smartphone directly.

So I cancelled the order, and I ordered the WM1A instead. It was one of the best purchase decisions I made in my entire life.

Yeah, maybe ZX507 sounds better while both players are running the stock firmware, but that is due to software, and not due to hardware.

With the custom firmware available for the WM1A, the sound quality is amazing, and I can easily leave the DAP in standby, without having to worry about battery drainage. Of course, there is also the function of auto-shutdown after the DAP was not used for a certain amount of time.

Also, why would I want a DAP that I have to do X and Y tweak in order to get more battery life, as the available one is not really enough?

I understand that I may sound biased, especially regarding the custom firmware, but you can easily check out some opinions from others who tried it as well.

I really hope Sony won't release only Android players from now on.

Peace.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #6,026 of 8,639
I picked up a ZX507 locally from a friend but it didn't come with a usb c cable. Does is matter which usb-c to usb cable I get for data transfer? There's one on Amazon that says "56k Ohm Pull-up Resistor" and another which is more expensive says "Anker Powerline II USB-C to USB 3.1 Gen2". Any difference functionally?

Nov 17, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #6,027 of 8,639
I bought the A105. I'm looking now at the battery, and without playing any music or using the player in any way (just with the display on), the battery is already -1% after 3-5 minutes.

I wanted to try a Sony DAP, and I was deciding between ZX507 and WM1A. I actually ordered the ZX507 from Amazon DE. They didn't ship it in about 3 days. In this time, I thought more how I already tried the M11 Pro which also has Android, and I really didn't like how at times Android was slower, and how the battery life was unsatisfactory.

Eventually, I realized I can easily use the Bluetooth Receiver function of the WM1A to stream music from my smartphone, or the USB DAC mode if I wanted to listen to music from my PC - function which is missing on the ZX507. I also liked the idea of having my own music library as well, and having this device only as a music player, without Wi-Fi capabilites and so on. Also, while on the go you don't have internet anyway. You can share internet from your smartphone, but you can as well stream music via Bluetooth Receiver from your smartphone directly.

So I cancelled the order, and I ordered the WM1A instead. It was one of the best purchase decisions I made in my entire life.

Yeah, maybe ZX507 sounds better while both players are running the stock firmware, but that is due to software, and not due to hardware.

With the custom firmware available for the WM1A, the sound quality is amazing, and I can easily leave the DAP in standby, without having to worry about battery drainage. Of course, there is also the function of auto-shutdown after the DAP was not used for a certain amount of time.

Also, why would I want a DAP that I have to do X and Y tweak in order to get more battery life, as the available one is not really enough?

I understand that I may sound biased, especially regarding the custom firmware, but you can easily check out some opinions from others who tried it as well.

I really hope Sony won't release only Android players from now on.

Peace.

Well I had them all and people kmow me as a tiger the walkmam haha
Had love to my so beloved wm1z couldn't find nothing that could beat it. Just nothing he always won. Even won over hugo2!

But 2 years later, I found wm1a and also got a very high end flagship iem the noirs.
I discovered that 1z isnt really sonically right and that it is way too thick and warm. Which lead to some trade offs, like less air , less details in uper trebles. Vocals echoing was never as extended as on 1a.
1a is clean, natural and tuned to the reference sound with a very analogue texture.

So I sold my 1z, yea there was that part where I fooled around and spent 1700 on a romi mod... I dont think it was the best move but I had to try it you know. So 1700 please put over here and say good bye LoL

Then wm1a love and noirs...
Then zx507 came in ! Ohhh now we have more love! Because new sound, new caps and soldering which make things sooo much more cleaner, precised and that sub bass awww to die. It beats 1z sub bass even!

Zx507 is a sound tuning with 90% wm1a and has the fun factor of 1z by 10%

I had zx507 and 1a fighting for 1month! I simply couldn't decide whos staying!
Was hard but then I started to put priorities first
1 streaming

2 new sound I think its better. Yes not as airy as 1a but so much cleaner and precised.

3 the best streaming experience possible, this is like direct source for streaming mode on.

I made numerous tests and no matter what wm1a even via usb hooked to a pc or phone always lost vs zx507 in streaming.
With zx507 there is no performance loss due to phone, usb cable, and unoptimized phone android for audio. And trust me its not behind from wm1a in terms of playing local library, I always use sony music app.

So my dap experience got me here with zx507 and this week I bought hiby R8 so the death match is far from over we have new glorious battles to come !

Mr Tiger Ears
🐯🐾

Nov 17, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #6,028 of 8,639
I picked up a ZX507 locally from a friend but it didn't come with a usb c cable. Does is matter which usb-c to usb cable I get for data transfer? There's one on Amazon that says "56k Ohm Pull-up Resistor" and another which is more expensive says "Anker Powerline II USB-C to USB 3.1 Gen2". Any difference functionally?

I use anker type c to type c 100w lol it does charge as quickly as zx507 allows.

Of you use poor usb c cables your charging speeds will be poor. Also make sure your usb a or usb c thst provides charge is at least 15w and up rated or youl have slow charges...

Anker one of the best options most of there cables are rated 60wat +

Nov 17, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #6,029 of 8,639
I use anker type c to type c 100w lol it does charge as quickly as zx507 allows.

Of you use poor usb c cables your charging speeds will be poor. Also make sure your usb a or usb c thst provides charge is at least 15w and up rated or youl have slow charges...

Anker one of the best options most of there cables are rated 60wat +

Thanks... It's one of those things where I go to look for a cable and realize how little I know about any of this. There's so many options.

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #6,030 of 8,639
Well I had them all and people kmow me as a tiger the walkmam haha
Had love to my so beloved wm1z couldn't find nothing that could beat it. Just nothing he always won. Even won over hugo2!

But 2 years later, I found wm1a and also got a very high end flagship iem the noirs.
I discovered that 1z isnt really sonically right and that it is way too thick and warm. Which lead to some trade offs, like less air , less details in uper trebles. Vocals echoing was never as extended as on 1a.
1a is clean, natural and tuned to the reference sound with a very analogue texture.

So I sold my 1z, yea there was that part where I fooled around and spent 1700 on a romi mod... I dont think it was the best move but I had to try it you know. So 1700 please put over here and say good bye LoL

Then wm1a love and noirs...
Then zx507 came in ! Ohhh now we have more love! Because new sound, new caps and soldering which make things sooo much more cleaner, precised and that sub bass awww to die. It beats 1z sub bass even!

Zx507 is a sound tuning with 90% wm1a and has the fun factor of 1z by 10%

I had zx507 and 1a fighting for 1month! I simply couldn't decide whos staying!
Was hard but then I started to put priorities first
1 streaming

2 new sound I think its better. Yes not as airy as 1a but so much cleaner and precised.

3 the best streaming experience possible, this is like direct source for streaming mode on.

I made numerous tests and no matter what wm1a even via usb hooked to a pc or phone always lost vs zx507 in streaming.
With zx507 there is no performance loss due to phone, usb cable, and unoptimized phone android for audio. And trust me its not behind from wm1a in terms of playing local library, I always use sony music app.

So my dap experience got me here with zx507 and this week I bought hiby R8 so the death match is far from over we have new glorious battles to come !

Mr Tiger Ears
🐯🐾

Yep, that is all with the stock firmware on the 1A and 1Z.

With the latest custom firmware it's just a whole new level, one which I'm 100% confident that ZX507 can never beat

Also, yes, streaming, but again, that can be easily done via Bluetooth Receiver from a smartphone, and streaming from Spotify, it's not like there would be any quality loss or anything.

Sure, everyone with their choice. I was just sharing my 2 cents regarding an Android DAP that requires X and Y tweak to get some more necessary battery life and a faster system, versus a non-Android DAP which only requires installing a custom firmware, for the same awesome battery life, but for amazing sound quality, with holographic soundstage, and a full sound with deeper bass and totally harshless highs which you can listen for days without a single bit of ear fatigue, with impeccable details all around you.

It's like rediscovering your whole music library basically, and this goes the same for other players, like A35, A45, and ZX300.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back