SONY NW-ZX500
Nov 8, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #5,986 of 8,642
Hasn’t been an issue. You set your home language when you start.

I have only seen a message pop up in Japanese language once. And that was some sort of ad pop up for Sony’s streaming service (only available in Japan) but that was just the one time. Everything else (for me) is in English. Apps, Google Play store, settings menus etc.

So you can rest easy and expect no weird issues.

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #5,987 of 8,642
Settled on the 507 and ready to purchase. Reside in the states. Prefer black version, but that will mean purchasing from accessory jack versus local approved reseller. Question.. do I need to be concerned with respect to any issues with respect to Japanese firmware, updates, apps such as Apple Music, Tidal, etc being based in the states, but purchasing a Japanese model?
I ordered from accessoryjack.com as well and I'm in the US. No problems whatsoever. Didn't even have to translate for the initial setup. English was already selected as the default language.

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #5,990 of 8,642
It doesn’t work on Tidal, Qobuz or Amazon Music HD

Nov 10, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #5,992 of 8,642
But you can show it off ply playing one of the 4 demo songs in the Sony player app that come with the device. I showed my kid it the other day he thought it looked cool. The cassette type seems to change per file type too!

Nov 10, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #5,993 of 8,642
I have a living room set up using an Ifi Zen Blue Bluetooth receiver.

I have set my 507 up to transmit LCAC at its best quality to the Ifi receiver but I am getting audio stuttering when just a few yards away.

So for now, I am using AptX-HD (which is stable). But I would rather use LDAC @ 990 Kbps.

For LDAC I tweaked the settings in developer mode to try to lock it on the 990 Kbps best quality. But I notice it always defaults back to “adaptive” mode. (It won’t stay locked on best quality mode).

But the audio stutters and is unusable. Does the 507 have a weak LDAC transmission at its highest bit rate?

anyone else struggling to keep their 507 locked on best LDAC quality?

Do I have to reboot to save developer mode settings?

Anyone else having 990 Kbps LDAC transmission issues?

Sorry to drag folks back to my issues

Hey - how come my iPhone AAC bluetooth signal comes out WAY louder to the Ifi Bluetooth receiver than my SONY 507 DAP?

With the 507 transmitting Bluetooth (to the Ifi Zen Blue) - I have the volume for my amp turned WAY up to 90+ and with my iPhone transmitting (to the Ifi Zen Blue) i have to turn it right down to 60?

I don't understand all the bluetooth options in developer mode (but I WANT TO)

Sony 507 volume buttons DON'T work when transmitting Bluetooth
Apple iPhone volume buttons DO work when transmitting Bluetooth

Anyone know why one should be louder than the other?

How can I get more bluetooth juice from the Sony?

WOOPS! UPDATE!!!

It was the "Media volume" slider - I had it on 50% to avoid accidentally deafening myself with my IEMS...

My bad...

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #5,994 of 8,642
I've searched the thread but still don't really understand what the High Res option is in settings. Is it strictly upsamping 320? I'm hearing a big change toggled on/off. OFF - everything sounds a bit more flat and immediate and ON sound is more spacious and holographic, bass is perhaps a bit softer. Is this more than upsampling? I have upsampling option on a couple of dacs but i've never heard such a drastic change. To me High Res sounds like a different sound engine - prob why the player needs a restart.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #5,995 of 8,642
I belive it’s Sony engineers way of allowing hi res files from 3rd party streaming services. But how it’s done exactly I am not sure.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #5,996 of 8,642
Couldn't find much info. Managed to get a very good deal on the ZX507 ($599 AUD brand new). Love it with my Andros and Z1Rs
Just wondering if i don't plan to use it for about 2-5 days, would you recommend i turn it off or will it be ok on standby? What do you reckon?

Nov 10, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #5,997 of 8,642
Couldn't find much info. Managed to get a very good deal on the ZX507 ($599 AUD brand new). Love it with my Andros and Z1Rs
Just wondering if i don't plan to use it for about 2-5 days, would you recommend i turn it off or will it be ok on standby? What do you reckon?
Turn it off. That way, you know the battery won't be drained.

Nov 11, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #5,999 of 8,642
Hi, would you be able to share the deal?
Hi. Fortunately i'm very lucky to be working in a shopping centre where there is a Sony store. They do centre staff discounts (insane right?) and it seems like these "centre partner discounts" are very generous. 40% off the ZX-507 at $999AUD.
I got a sweet deal on the IER-Z1R as well.

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #6,000 of 8,642
Well you are all set then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back