SONY NW-ZX500
Nov 3, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #5,957 of 8,639
Actually I was looking for confirmation that the US version sold here locally does not suffer from volume caps.
From everything I've read, the version in the US is not volume capped. However, there's a caveat to that. Conceivably, a unit could be sold in the US yet is the EU version. You'd have to check with the seller and confirm.

Nov 3, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #5,960 of 8,639
Some products, I hesitate to order from a merchant to whom it may be difficult to return. Being that it's a Sony product, I wasn't worried in the least when I purchased from accessoryjack.com. I've seen it offered on Amazon in the international version, but even that's probably coming from a source outside the US. If you're that worried, buy from B&H.

Nov 4, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #5,961 of 8,639
Anyone compared the dragonfly cobalt sound quality wise vs the ZX507? Is it on par?

Nov 4, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #5,962 of 8,639
Anyone compared the dragonfly cobalt sound quality wise vs the ZX507? Is it on par?

I used to own both, now I only own the ZX507. Very different sound signature. The ZX507 is closer to the Red than the Cobalt. From what I remember, the ZX507 is warmer. I found the Cobalt a little harsh to me with a much higher noise floor. I was getting listening fatigue very quickly <15mins with the Cobalt and I could not stand the hissing.

With different headphones/IEMs and sound preferences, the Cobalt could be a good option but it was not for me. I enjoyed the Red quite more but the ZX507 a lot more than both.

Nov 4, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #5,963 of 8,639
I used to own both, now I only own the ZX507. Very different sound signature. The ZX507 is closer to the Red than the Cobalt. From what I remember, the ZX507 is warmer. I found the Cobalt a little harsh to me with a much higher noise floor. I was getting listening fatigue very quickly <15mins with the Cobalt and I could not stand the hissing.

With different headphones/IEMs and sound preferences, the Cobalt could be a good option but it was not for me. I enjoyed the Red quite more but the ZX507 a lot more than both.

Oh that's bad news. I'm reading so many different opinions on the Cobalt - some say it's more relaxed and natural compared to the Red, others say its bright, and others say its warm.

Nov 4, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #5,964 of 8,639
Hate to be the harbinger of bad news. No volume cap removal on the EU version. If you're within the return time frame, do it and purchase the international, Japanese or Chinese version.
Yes, I know but for the international version, Amazon is not delivering in my country and from Ebay or other small shops, I'm afraid about potential warranty problems.
I still hope some day the removal will be possible.

Nov 4, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #5,965 of 8,639
Apologies in advance for newbie type question but seriously wrestling with strategy forward. Currently own Shure Aonic 4, wired and wireless, have lived with Mac, ITunes, iPods, etc. I very much want to up the game sound wise, particularly with respect to classical music. Priorities are audio, stress free transfer of music, streaming desirable but not crucial..
Wm1a?
507?
iPod Touch 7.. flac files ... added dac?
Ugh!

Nov 4, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #5,966 of 8,639
Oh that's bad news. I'm reading so many different opinions on the Cobalt - some say it's more relaxed and natural compared to the Red, others say its bright, and others say its warm.

That's why I ended up buying both to be honest. I had the red for a long time then the Cobalt came up and was supposedly so much better and refined sounding so I bought it too. Yet, I didn't like it at all. Lesson learned, again! :)

I still think that they are way too expensive for what they are. The ZX507 sounds better in all aspect to me.

Nov 4, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #5,967 of 8,639
Apologies in advance for newbie type question but seriously wrestling with strategy forward. Currently own Shure Aonic 4, wired and wireless, have lived with Mac, ITunes, iPods, etc. I very much want to up the game sound wise, particularly with respect to classical music. Priorities are audio, stress free transfer of music, streaming desirable but not crucial..
Wm1a?
507?
iPod Touch 7.. flac files ... added dac?
Ugh!
Wm1a no streaming, iPad touch limited to max 256gb, and only AAC Bluetooth, not FLAC, but gets bit -perfect to DAC. 507 up to a terabyte with Microsd, LDAC Bluetooth, FLAC and DSD, good battery life with stored files, 8hrs streaming apps, but fast charging battery.

Nov 4, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #5,969 of 8,639
I sold my Cobalt after getting the ZX507. It has a different sound sig and is rather good itself but prefer Sony Sound.

I had zero hiss even with my SE846's unlike the Red I had. It was little difference to my Fiio BTR5 and that is even better via balanced.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #5,970 of 8,639
I sold my Cobalt after getting the ZX507. It has a different sound sig and is rather good itself but prefer Sony Sound.
What's the difference?is Cobalt more clinical/etched?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back