Sony NW-ZX300
Mar 6, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #12,841 of 12,862
I've just put in a query to Sony Support for DAPs and asked if they can comment on the saved Sound Settings problem. Not holding my breath...

They'll probably look at as if the sun has set on supporting such an "old player." But thanks for trying!

Mar 6, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #12,842 of 12,862
To be fair I've found Sony to be quite helpful in the past - it can take a while but they usually come back with an answer eventually. In fact I've usually got more sense out of them on legacy hardware than on newer, Android driven DAPs, especially when the query has been about the Android functionality rather than the Music App.

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #12,843 of 12,862
1000030596.jpg

It should be like on the WM1 players. Tapping on a Saved Sound preset should load what you saved, and you save a preset by pressing on the Save Current Settings, which will show a menu to choose to what preset you want to save the current settings.

The Walkman One firmware for the ZX300 actually has the WM1 UI, so it should work for sure.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #12,844 of 12,862
1000030596.jpg

It should be like on the WM1 players. Tapping on a Saved Sound preset should load what you saved, and you save a preset by pressing on the Save Current Settings, which will show a menu to choose to what preset you want to save the current settings.

The Walkman One firmware for the ZX300 actually has the WM1 UI, so it should work for sure.
When you press one of the 3 saved settings you get this dialog which probably confuse people. The message is a bit confusing. It means that the current active settings in the player will be overwritten with the contenst of the selected saved settings but could easily be interpreted the other way round (overwrite the selected saved setting with the current active settings).

IMG_1832.jpeg

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #12,845 of 12,862
When you press one of the 3 saved settings you get this dialog which probably confuse people. The message is a bit confusing. It means that the current active settings in the player will be overwritten with the contenst of the selected saved settings but could easily be interpreted the other way round (overwrite the selected saved setting with the current active settings).

Overwrite the already saved settings (from that slot) with the current(ly set) settings.

This shows up if you tap on the Save current settings button from my photo and then you select one of the 3 available slots.

So tap on Save settings then on a slot to save the current settings to the selected slot, or don't tap on Save settings but tap directly on a slot to load the saved settings from that slot. 😅

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #12,846 of 12,862

IMG_1832.jpeg

Not only is it confusing, it doesn't work, either.

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #12,847 of 12,862
Mar 7, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #12,848 of 12,862
Mar 8, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #12,849 of 12,862
I went back to some old notes and as several have already commented the problem is with the text in the dialogue box that comes up when you go to select one of the Saved Sound Settings. It states "Overwrite the saved settings with the current settings. Do you want to continue?." I don't think it "could easily be interpreted the other way round" - it's just the wrong way round! I'd forgotten I'd tested this when I got my original NW-ZX300 about 6/7 years ago years ago, but never really bothered with the function after that.
For sceptics who thought I wouldn't get a response back from Sony, I got an answer back within 3 days. Less of a surprise was that they answered the wrong question and sent me a link to a very detailed document explaining how to change my sound settings.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #12,850 of 12,862
I went back to some old notes and as several have already commented the problem is with the text in the dialogue box that comes up when you go to select one of the Saved Sound Settings. It states "Overwrite the saved settings with the current settings. Do you want to continue?." I don't think it "could easily be interpreted the other way round" - it's just the wrong way round! I'd forgotten I'd tested this when I got my original NW-ZX300 about 6/7 years ago years ago, but never really bothered with the function after that.
For sceptics who thought I wouldn't get a response back from Sony, I got an answer back within 3 days. Less of a surprise was that they answered the wrong question and sent me a link to a very detailed document explaining how to change my sound settings.

I'm still working at mastering my confusion and setting and recalling settings by trial and error. This mental exercise is challenging for my limited IQ. :grimacing:

Mar 8, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #12,851 of 12,862
I find myself using the ZX300 more than I expected.
I love my WM1Z and it is a pleasure to listen to. Over the years I got addicted to the gains achieved in moving up the tiers with iems and daps - I don't care about diminishing returns, I don't see it that way. The compromise with the larger form of the WM series, and weight of the 1Z is usually not a problem as I only use it around the house, but I realise that it is so much more appealing to grab the little lightweight ZX300 for a quick listen. I have a constant anxiety about dropping my 1Z too.
To celebrate my first post-covid trip to back to Japan I took my 1Z, but with the added weight and bulk of the protective case I really regretted it, and will have the ZX300 accompany me in future.

Mar 8, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #12,852 of 12,862
I'm still working at mastering my confusion and setting and recalling settings by trial and error. This mental exercise is challenging for my limited IQ. :grimacing:
Here's the process - it looks much more complicated than it is in practice :
  • Once you have set up your initial preferences for each item in Sound Settings, these are now your current sound settings.
  • To save these current sound settings, go to the Saved Sound Settings screen.
  • In the Saved Sound Settings screen, click on the Save Current Settings button.
  • You will now see a Choose Where to Save menu, which lets you save the current setting to Saved Sounds Setting 1, 2, or 3 – I will use Sound Settings 1 as an example in the following:
  • Now you have the option to Replace whatever is already in Saved Sound Settings 1 with the current settings (there is also an option to Cancel at this point).
  • If you click OK, you will get a brief dialogue Saved Sound Settings 1, and then be taken back to the Saved Sound Settings menu.
  • You can now go back and repeat the process by modifying your current settings and then saving the Sound Settings as above into Saved Sound Settings 2 (and repeat again for Saved Sound Settings 3).
  • So now you have 3 Saved Sound Settings to choose from, but this is where the confusion arises – how to retrieve one of the 3 Saved Sound Settings.
  • To retrieve Saved Sound Settings, go to the Saved Sound Settings menu and click on the Saved Sound Setting you want to retrieve - 1, 2, or 3.- again I'll use Sound Settings 1 as an example.
  • You will now see the following dialogue: "Overwrite the saved settings with the current settings. Do you want to continue? and the options Cancel and OK.
  • Ignore the dialogue above - it is incorrect and should read the exact opposite: Overwrite the current settings with the saved settings.
  • Click on the OK option and the settings in Saved Sounds Settings 1 will replace whatever current settings are active on the NW-ZX300.
Hope this makes sense...

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #12,853 of 12,862
Here's the process - it looks much more complicated than it is in practice :
  • Once you have set up your initial preferences for each item in Sound Settings, these are now your current sound settings.
  • To save these current sound settings, go to the Saved Sound Settings screen.
  • In the Saved Sound Settings screen, click on the Save Current Settings button.
  • You will now see a Choose Where to Save menu, which lets you save the current setting to Saved Sounds Setting 1, 2, or 3 – I will use Sound Settings 1 as an example in the following:
  • Now you have the option to Replace whatever is already in Saved Sound Settings 1 with the current settings (there is also an option to Cancel at this point).
  • If you click OK, you will get a brief dialogue Saved Sound Settings 1, and then be taken back to the Saved Sound Settings menu.
  • You can now go back and repeat the process by modifying your current settings and then saving the Sound Settings as above into Saved Sound Settings 2 (and repeat again for Saved Sound Settings 3).
  • So now you have 3 Saved Sound Settings to choose from, but this is where the confusion arises – how to retrieve one of the 3 Saved Sound Settings.
  • To retrieve Saved Sound Settings, go to the Saved Sound Settings menu and click on the Saved Sound Setting you want to retrieve - 1, 2, or 3.- again I'll use Sound Settings 1 as an example.
  • You will now see the following dialogue: "Overwrite the saved settings with the current settings. Do you want to continue? and the options Cancel and OK.
  • Ignore the dialogue above - it is incorrect and should read the exact opposite: Overwrite the current settings with the saved settings.
  • Click on the OK option and the settings in Saved Sounds Settings 1 will replace whatever current settings are active on the NW-ZX300.
Hope this makes sense...

Yeah, that does. Thanks! I wonder what would happen if you passed these lucid instructions on to the Sony representative you interacted with earlier?

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #12,854 of 12,862
Yeah, that does. Thanks! I wonder what would happen if you passed these lucid instructions on to the Sony representative you interacted with earlier?
I've already sent them over to Sony. I think they'll acknowledge that it's an error, but given that the NW-ZX300 is an old device and the firmware hasn't been updated in years I doubt they'll be making any changes.

Anyone out there know if there's a way of accessing and rewriting the menu dialogue through a command string?

Mar 9, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #12,855 of 12,862
I've already sent them over to Sony. I think they'll acknowledge that it's an error, but given that the NW-ZX300 is an old device and the firmware hasn't been updated in years I doubt they'll be making any changes.

Anyone out there know if there's a way of accessing and rewriting the menu dialogue through a command string?
The firmware image is encrypted, so the only way to possibly make a change is via custom firmware. Maybe MrWalkman can do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back