Sony NW-ZX300
Feb 13, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #12,811 of 12,862
Hi there.
I just got a NW-ZX300 "new-opened box" (which I hope it is true, now testing the battery). I have already updated it with Mr Walkman but I was wondering if someone could give me some tips regarding the player.
How long the battery should last for FLAC 16/24 bits usually? Is there a way to get percentage for the battery? Can the play time from the player be reset when doing a factory reset?
Thanks!
You can only get a 4 segment battery level and it is not proportional, the first and last segment is each about 1/3 and the 2 middle segments are each about 1/6 of the total battery time. Continious play time depends a lot on what file format and resoloution you play and what dsp features you enable so could be anything between 10 and perhsps 25 hours. Total playtime counter gets reset to 0 with a full factory reset. Set the 90% battery care option in the gui to on

Feb 13, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #12,812 of 12,862
Take a look as the NW-ZX300 online manual on the Sony website - very comprehensive.

FLAC (96 kHz/24 bit)26 hours23 hours
FLAC (192 kHz/24 bit)23 hours20 hours
I've found the Sony battery life data pretty accurate, and my older unit after 6 years hasn't dropped much below that. There's a basic 4-segment battery bar top-right corner of the screen.
When you state "Play time" do you mean "Sleep time" (i.e. player stops after a set time)? If so, yes: In Playback Settings menu you can turn "Sleep Timer ON and select up to 120 minutes in 30-minute increments.
There is an option to halt charging at 90% to optimise total lifetime of the battery...

Feb 13, 2024 at 4:19 AM Post #12,813 of 12,862
Take a look as the NW-ZX300 online manual on the Sony website - very comprehensive.

FLAC (96 kHz/24 bit)26 hours23 hours
FLAC (192 kHz/24 bit)23 hours20 hours
I've found the Sony battery life data pretty accurate, and my older unit after 6 years hasn't dropped much below that. There's a basic 4-segment battery bar top-right corner of the screen.
When you state "Play time" do you mean "Sleep time" (i.e. player stops after a set time)? If so, yes: In Playback Settings menu you can turn "Sleep Timer ON and select up to 120 minutes in 30-minute increments.
There is an option to halt charging at 90% to optimise total lifetime of the battery...

Thank you for your answer! I was talking about the number of hours the player has been used. I got my answer prior to your message and unfortunately there is no way to check if the seller lied to me about the new-opened box... I just have to trust him I guess.

Feb 13, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #12,814 of 12,862
You can only get a 4 segment battery level and it is not proportional, the first and last segment is each about 1/3 and the 2 middle segments are each about 1/6 of the total battery time. Continious play time depends a lot on what file format and resoloution you play and what dsp features you enable so could be anything between 10 and perhsps 25 hours. Total playtime counter gets reset to 0 with a full factory reset. Set the 90% battery care option in the gui to on
Thanks so much for your answer!

Feb 13, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #12,815 of 12,862
Sorry, seeing NC8000's reply I've obviously given you the answer to a question you didn't ask regarding resetting the play time.
I tested mine with wired earbuds (1More Quad Drivers) and all audio options disabled. Also forgot to mention that the first battery level column above is 3.5mm jack and second is 4.4mm balanced.

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #12,816 of 12,862
Does anyone own an A306?
I'm still considering that used ZX300A and conflicted between saving my money as I am already catered for, or being able to snap up a deal on a good old Sony OS Walkman.
As I mentioned before I have a WM1Z for around home and the recently purchased A306 for work. As much as the A306 is a nice, small, all in one player, the Bluetooth is so weak, and the 3.5mm output is very low powered, something the ZX300 might be able to improve upon.
I have seen comments on the A300 thread where members say they rate the A306 above the ZX300. I remember the stock ZX300 being quite warm, and with my already warm XBA-Z5 almost suppressing the highs, so I don't know if it's the A306 brighter tuning they favour or it has some newer tech specs that have elevated the sound quality. In my experience as I went up through the tiers of the Walkmans (A15>ZX100>ZX300>WM1A>WM1Z) over the years the components and increase in power improved the overall sound quality. In my mind the lower priced, smaller form of the A306 might be lesser specced than the ZX300 that, tuning aside, not be able to compete for some aspects like staging or separation etc? From the custom firmwares we all know what a tuning can do, but for hardware I would like to know if the ZX300 should exceed the A306?
If I don't get it, my other option is to get a dongle like the Fiio KA5 as a higher powered output.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #12,817 of 12,862
Does anyone own an A306?
I'm still considering that used ZX300A and conflicted between saving my money as I am already catered for, or being able to snap up a deal on a good old Sony OS Walkman.
As I mentioned before I have a WM1Z for around home and the recently purchased A306 for work. As much as the A306 is a nice, small, all in one player, the Bluetooth is so weak, and the 3.5mm output is very low powered, something the ZX300 might be able to improve upon.
I have seen comments on the A300 thread where members say they rate the A306 above the ZX300. I remember the stock ZX300 being quite warm, and with my already warm XBA-Z5 almost suppressing the highs, so I don't know if it's the A306 brighter tuning they favour or it has some newer tech specs that have elevated the sound quality. In my experience as I went up through the tiers of the Walkmans (A15>ZX100>ZX300>WM1A>WM1Z) over the years the components and increase in power improved the overall sound quality. In my mind the lower priced, smaller form of the A306 might be lesser specced than the ZX300 that, tuning aside, not be able to compete for some aspects like staging or separation etc? From the custom firmwares we all know what a tuning can do, but for hardware I would like to know if the ZX300 should exceed the A306?
If I don't get it, my other option is to get a dongle like the Fiio KA5 as a higher powered output.

I own an A306, and am still quite happy about it. But I was curious to see what the ZX300 with Mr Walkman would sound so I took the plunge. I have to admit that the sound difference is quite audible. Soundstage is wider, sound is fuller with more resonating bass. After going A to B with the ZX300 4.4mm to A306 3.5mm, the small Sony sounded a bit too bright to me, with a good instrument separation though, but a bit "tin can" sounding. Plus android in such a mall device is really cumbersome and slow even after wiping out all the unnecessary android BS.
So I think I will retire my A306 in favor of the ZX300 and call it a day for now...

Feb 15, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #12,818 of 12,862
I own an A306, and am still quite happy about it. But I was curious to see what the ZX300 with Mr Walkman would sound so I took the plunge. I have to admit that the sound difference is quite audible. Soundstage is wider, sound is fuller with more resonating bass. After going A to B with the ZX300 4.4mm to A306 3.5mm, the small Sony sounded a bit too bright to me, with a good instrument separation though, but a bit "tin can" sounding. Plus android in such a mall device is really cumbersome and slow even after wiping out all the unnecessary android BS.
So I think I will retire my A306 in favor of the ZX300 and call it a day for now...
Thanks for your input, that was what my expectation was. I've been around long enough to know to decipher people's feedback, but some of these members have a decent amount of experience. I like minimalism, but I always find an excuse to buy another item.
Having a long history with Sony daps, I'm surprised how bright the tuning is for the A306.

Feb 16, 2024 at 4:48 AM Post #12,819 of 12,862
I don't know much about how audio quality is affected by working close to or at maximum power output, but it seems that all of the Sony Android units have a much lower output than those with the old Sony OS. My NW-ZX507 has same output as the A306 on mini jack (and on the balanced jack). Also battery is smaller. I guess it's the compromise between battery life, OS overhead and output...

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #12,821 of 12,862
Im planning to get ZX300 though I have a question, does the USB DAC mode only works through Music Center?

It works with anything, like any other DAC.

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #12,822 of 12,862
I don't know much about how audio quality is affected by working close to or at maximum power output, but it seems that all of the Sony Android units have a much lower output than those with the old Sony OS. My NW-ZX507 has same output as the A306 on mini jack (and on the balanced jack). Also battery is smaller. I guess it's the compromise between battery life, OS overhead and output...
No it's because the output is capped for EU units and Android units can't be uncapped.

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #12,823 of 12,862
Feb 20, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #12,824 of 12,862
@Hinomotocho has the same experience with a Japanese A306 so that one shouldn’t be capped
I own both Japanese A306 and ZX300, and on both I need the volume to go up to 80-90 for both 3.5 and 4.4mm while listening outside. My 2 cents is that it is inherent to the Sony s-master HX chipset which can't be powered at a high volume cap overall. Which is why Sony's dap are always lower than the others brands in volume. Only my thoughts though...

Feb 20, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #12,825 of 12,862
I guess it depends on what you're driving. The thing about capping is that the legislation is primarily about the very real issue of the young playing music through ear/headphones for long periods at high volume and developing Tinnitus (which I suffer from mildly, primarily due to standing right up against large WEM speaker stacks at gigs in the 70's Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Floyd, Edgar Broughton and many others). But the limits are based on noise levels, not power output, so all a manufacturer can do is to arrive at a power output that won't allow the db limit to be exceeded on some arbitrary 'phone, so lower power than might be required for some 'phones. With my ZX-300 I have wired 1More quad drivers, and I manage fine at about 75-85. If I'm out and about I use Bose QC Ultra NC earbuds. Purists may scoff but works for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back