Sony NW-ZX300
Dec 13, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #12,782 of 12,862
YOOOOOOOOOO we have the WM1A/Z display screen for the ZX300 now ?! - showing information about the file being played at the top of the playback screen... That's crazy!

Wishing for an A to B repeat option still, for the Sony Walkmans!
One day...
Got the firmware installed finally ! Many thanks Mr Walkman.
It's still running like a champ, the xz300 walkman ; and am using it everyday!

DSC_0113.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #12,784 of 12,862
Am running the Walkman One (WM1Z) - Mod.
And somehow it is missing the Remote Control Button.
Anyone know how to get it back?
As I recall there is an option for it in the settings file.

On stock fw is was region dependent.

IMG_0496.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #12,785 of 12,862
As I recall there is an option for it in the settings file.

On stock fw is was region dependent.
It worked and I have it set now, thank you NC8000 for the info.
So awesome, to be able to change between various settings/ sound signatures in a breeze with this setup, I did not know!

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #12,786 of 12,862
I've the Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones and I'm wondering if they wuld be Bluetooth compatible with the Sony NW ZX100? They're using Bluetooth version 5 and the ZX100 3.0. I used to have a NW A55 which used version 4 and had no problems connecting. Unfortunately I lost the A55 and now I'm looking to buy the ZX100 but I'm not sure if it would be able to connect to my headphones. Or would it be better to just go for a ZX300 instead? Not sure if thr upgrade from ZX100 to ZX300 is worth the money.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #12,787 of 12,862
Hi. The NW-ZX300 has Bluetooth 4.2 (with NFC). I have tried Sony WF1000 earbuds with the NW-ZX300; they worked well but I exchanged them for Bose QC buds - better fit and better NC (IMO). No reason why your WH1000XM4s wouldn't work OK. I haven't used the NW-ZX100 so can't comment on whether it's worth the upgrade. There's an official Sony online user manual that has detailed specifications. New NW-ZX300s (if you can find one) run out at about GBP300 once shipping and customs are dealt with (I got mine new and unboxed a few weeks ago), but (AFAIK) any "new" units will be old stock from Japan, so will need to be switched to your location using something like RockBox Destination Tool software (unless you're fluent in written Japanese). If you can get a used one in decent condition there are third party batteries available and the process for changing the battery is awkward but doable if you're into that kind of activity. If not, Sony Service Centres can replace the battery for you, which costs about GBP75 including labour, parts and shipping.

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #12,788 of 12,862
I used to own a ZX300, then went to a WM1A, then WM1Z. I just got back from Japan and got myself an A306 as a small daily pocketable dap now my phone upgrade lost the SD card support. I just saw a nice price on a local listing for a ZX300, and can't help but want to snap it up. I don't really need it, but I am a sucker for Sony gear, and I am interested to get the Nayparm mod. As I don't want to miss out on this I haven't had a chance to research feedback on the mods and comparisons. Is anyone willing to please fill me in on the sound benefits compared to stock, and also other Walkmans (A306, WM1A etc). Probably I'd choose to the mod to keep the 3.5mm.

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #12,789 of 12,862
I used to own a ZX300, then went to a WM1A, then WM1Z. I just got back from Japan and got myself an A306 as a small daily pocketable dap now my phone upgrade lost the SD card support. I just saw a nice price on a local listing for a ZX300, and can't help but want to snap it up. I don't really need it, but I am a sucker for Sony gear, and I am interested to get the Nayparm mod. As I don't want to miss out on this I haven't had a chance to research feedback on the mods and comparisons. Is anyone willing to please fill me in on the sound benefits compared to stock, and also other Walkmans (A306, WM1A etc). Probably I'd choose to the mod to keep the 3.5mm.

At this point having the WM1A / 1Z, I'd probably just get an Xperia phone instead of the ZX300. BTW, I stand by this as I have an Xperia 1 V

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #12,790 of 12,862
I don't think I've seen any reviews directly comparing standard v modified DAPs - I suspect anyone who has modified theirs will probably say it makes a difference. For my everyday listening, normally on the move, I doubt I'd be able to differentiate.

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #12,791 of 12,862
At this point having the WM1A / 1Z, I'd probably just get an Xperia phone instead of the ZX300. BTW, I stand by this as I have an Xperia 1 V
Thanks. I only have the 1Z now, but due to size and weight it is purely for listening around my home. I'm a big fan of the good old Sony OS, I only got the Android A306 because it was small and had USB-C, but also benefit using it for audio books and podcasts.
The Xperia are nice phones but a bit small for my hands.

Feb 2, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #12,792 of 12,862
I have an NW-ZX507, also in part for the USB, but overall after using it for a while I've pretty much relegated it to a backup. I guess I was expecting it to be a step up from the ZX300, but the audio side is pretty much identical, the slightly bigger screen in practice is no better (and I had to add a matte Brotec AirGlass screen protector to cut down on reflections to match the ZX300 screen quality. I have the USB-C port, but unlike the ZX300, the ZX507 doesn't have a Mass Storage mode. I have a Mac, and as Sony dropped their media content management software I either have to use Android File Transfer (clunky, can't be automated), ActiveSync (very slow), or pull the SD card whenever I sync. With the ZX300 when I want to sync I use Carbon Copy Cloner, so when I plug in my ZX300 USB cable to the Mac it powers up, then automatically synchronises my music library, and ejects - and the ZX300 automatically updates the music library, but on the ZX507 it has to be done manually. Also the ZX507 battery is smaller, and even with all apps removed (apart from Music) it's quite power hungry - battery lasts about two thirds the life of the ZX300 and also nearly double the price of the ZX300. Plus, none of the additional features it has are anything I need. For me, it was a bad decision; should have waited and done more research.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #12,794 of 12,862
I have an NW-ZX507, also in part for the USB, but overall after using it for a while I've pretty much relegated it to a backup. I guess I was expecting it to be a step up from the ZX300, but the audio side is pretty much identical, the slightly bigger screen in practice is no better (and I had to add a matte Brotec AirGlass screen protector to cut down on reflections to match the ZX300 screen quality. I have the USB-C port, but unlike the ZX300, the ZX507 doesn't have a Mass Storage mode. I have a Mac, and as Sony dropped their media content management software I either have to use Android File Transfer (clunky, can't be automated), ActiveSync (very slow), or pull the SD card whenever I sync. With the ZX300 when I want to sync I use Carbon Copy Cloner, so when I plug in my ZX300 USB cable to the Mac it powers up, then automatically synchronises my music library, and ejects - and the ZX300 automatically updates the music library, but on the ZX507 it has to be done manually. Also the ZX507 battery is smaller, and even with all apps removed (apart from Music) it's quite power hungry - battery lasts about two thirds the life of the ZX300 and also nearly double the price of the ZX300. Plus, none of the additional features it has are anything I need. For me, it was a bad decision; should have waited and done more research.

I have an older Mac and it was kind of useless when managing my ZX300. I also have a Linux distro laptop, and it was only a little better.

Recently, the time came for me to get a new laptop. I said, WTH, I'll just get one with Windows 11 and see what that can do. If I ended up hating Windows, I could just replace it with Fedora or Ubuntu or something like them. Turns out Windows isn't that bad, and MusicBee manages the ZX300 better that any other software I've tried. I can even sync my various playlists to the ZX300, something I failed to do with either MacOS or Linux.

Long story short, I'm sticking with Windows 11 and MusicBee. It just works.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #12,795 of 12,862
I don't think I've seen any reviews directly comparing standard v modified DAPs - I suspect anyone who has modified theirs will probably say it makes a difference. For my everyday listening, normally on the move, I doubt I'd be able to differentiate.
I've always had Sony daps, and over the years climbing the tiers from an A15 > ZX100 > ZX300 > WM1A > WM1Z, I've achieved what I deem to be a level up in sound with each one, whether it was staging, details, depth etc. They might be diminishing returns when you come from a financial opinion, but a worthy one for music enjoyment for me.
Having more time to think, the mod is an option, I think the appeal is to own another Sony OS Walkman as it may now be a thing of the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back