Sony NW-ZX300
Jun 29, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #12,766 of 12,862
But how should they tune it? Its an digital amp. It amplifyies the signal exactly as is.

To tune it, they would have to modify the signal (apply EQ or anything like that) which would be visible in measurements (and it is not. All Walkmans from all regions measure 100% identical)

If you don't use direct, everything you adjust/modify and so on can be seen in measurements. As soon you use direct, everything is 100% perfectly flat as it is supposed to be.

So direct means that. The Song is send to the amp straight, without any modification. And as the amp is an digital amp, it will always produce the same result if you give it the same signal. There is nothing between the amp and the headphone except the LCs and even they can be left out (and they are very simple electronic gates, they are incapable in modifying the sound).

So except the Software, there is just nothing that could modify the sound and when using direct, the software does nothing (scientifically proven). So every walkman, no matter the region, should sound the same and does sound the same.
And does NOT sound the same, there are clearly noticable sound differences between the regions (at least for me and many others). And yes it is done in software and by how the dac is initialized on boot up, the hw is indeed identical across the world but it is programmable hw just like the products the use a fpga

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #12,767 of 12,862
Hello fellows, i recently purchased another used ZX300 silver edition (US version) and updated it to the Sony OFFICIAL Firmware version 2.02 (latest), and i'm already having a used black edition ZX300 (Japanese version) with Mr. Walkman One Firmware installed on it with the setting; Mr. Walkman One fw WM1Z, MX3, Normal mode. I tested both units with DT 770 Pro 80 ohm headphones on the standard 3.5mm jack, and what i noticed that both units produce the same exact sound quality when playing Standard 44.1kHz/16 bit FLAC files and with DSEE enhancement is on and all playback/output settings are the same on both units, but when playing 88.2kHz/24bit HR FLAC file on both units, the black ZX300 with Mr.Walkman One WM1Z fw mod produce higher quality sound with more defined Bass and higher tone than the silver ZX300 with official Sony fw (see the screenshot image in this post), so is there any reason for this? and with this case in mind, i need to know if it is really worth it to install the Mr.Walkman One WM1Z fw mod also on my silver ZX300 unit over the official Sony fw?
may be you can feel the full potential of Mr.Walkman One WM1Z fw mod on ZX300 on the 4.4mm jack?? i would really appreciate if anyone has a good explanation .... thanks in advance :wink:

zx300_v2.jpg
Anyone can answer my question here please?

Jun 29, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #12,768 of 12,862
Anyone can answer my question here please?
I haven't tried the 4.4 balanced output yet, I'd like to burn the 3.5mm first and then move to 4.4.
But many users and reviews say that the recommendation they make is to use 4.4 mm since you will take advantage of your DAP, and if your headphones are compatible with balanced cables, fence redundancy, it is best to use 4.4 mm

Jul 12, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #12,769 of 12,862
Has anyone measured the output impedance of the phone outs on the ZX300?

Aug 15, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #12,770 of 12,862
Hi. Can anyone recommend a few sets of bluetooth earbuds/iems for use with zx300?
Don't think I'd be able to install any apps (for use with bluetooth earbuds) on zx300, so have to connect automatically.
Thanks!

Aug 15, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #12,772 of 12,862
Aug 16, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #12,773 of 12,862
I should have qualified, around $150 or less; for use in gym mainly.
I've used my Soundcore Liberty 3 pro with my ZX300 before with good results.
I think Soundcore have newer models out now too, but I'm happy enough with mine for listening on the go. I suspect you'd be very happy with them in your gym use case too.

Sep 17, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #12,774 of 12,862
A300 on Geekbench, running Android 13: https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/2599164

Are they finally give some love regarding OS updates to Walkman players too?

Edit: Didn't meant to post this in this thread, but on the A300 thread :)

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #12,775 of 12,862
A300 on Geekbench, running Android 13: https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/2599164

Are they finally give some love regarding OS updates to Walkman players too?

Edit: Didn't meant to post this in this thread, but on the A300 thread :)
Hello Mr. Walkman, could I contact you via gmail to resolve the bootloop problem on my ZX300?

I have had this problem for 10 months, so I very humbly ask you to resolve this issue, since it is a device that cost me €700, I only used it for two weeks, it cost me a lot and I am not even of legal age.
My native language is Spanish and I still don't write very well in English.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #12,776 of 12,862
YOOOOOOOOOO we have the WM1A/Z display screen for the ZX300 now ?! - showing information about the file being played at the top of the playback screen... That's crazy!

Wishing for an A to B repeat option still, for the Sony Walkmans!
One day...

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #12,780 of 12,862
Guess my ears aren't sensitive enough to discern that, then. In fact, none of those fancy processors made any difference except the EQ and dynamic normalizer (which is just replay gain).
Dynamic normalizer totally kills the dynamic range in an album as it just makes everything equally loud

Users who are viewing this thread

Back