Sony NW-ZX300
Feb 10, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #12,256 of 12,862
Hi guys,

Just want to share my thoughts & impression of Mr Walkman's modification Project Z on my ZX300.

I bought my ZX300 2 years ago (in Jan 2019) at a discounted USD487 and I had been using it "loyally" until May 2020 when I bought iBasso DX160 (which was relatively cheaper when new @ USD400 compared to ZX300's USD700 initial price tag). Since then my everyday go-to DAP has been DX160 which I can honestly say is much better than ZX300 with latter left in my drawer most of the time. DX160 has a parametric EQ and bigger output ~800mW (@ 32 Ohm). The sound stage is also wider, instrument separation (imaging) & dynamics are better while the higher frequencies are obviously clearer than ZX300's. So overall my DX160 is a much better sounding DAP than my older ZX300.

Two days ago I decided to try Mr Walkman's Project Z mod on my ZX300. Installation was smooth as I followed closely his guidelines. Bingo! Fantastic results! My ZX300 sounds much better, has wider sound stage, clearer mids & highs. Ironically it's still hard for me to choose between the 2 versions Classic and Pro - sometimes the former is better while on other occasions, latter sounds more musical (to my ears) depending on genres or whether I am using IEMs or headphones. Well done to Mr Walkman, nice work on tweaking on Sony's DSP algorithm. Thank you very much for an ingenious masterpiece. Finally now, my ZX300 sounds almost as good as my DX160.

Out of curiosity, I just wonder if @MrWalkman can add another feature to Project Z mod (maybe call it something else later) that includes VPT Surround (reverb) - which is normally found in Sony's entry-level DAPs like A30-, A40- and A50-series and also its Xperia smartphone product lines such as Xperia Z5, XZ etc 5-6 years back but not in higher-end DAP models like ZX- or WM1-series. I like this feature because it gives listeners like myself a choice whether you want a "studio", "club", "live" or "matrix" virtual 3-D sound stage. Sometimes you just want to change the "ambiance" a bit. I know it's quite gimmicky, nice-to-have kind of feature but if this is possible, why not? Would really appreciate this additional feature...

Well, that's all I want to say. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Hope to get some positive feedback from Mr Walkman. Ciao...

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #12,257 of 12,862
Out of curiosity, I just wonder if @MrWalkman can add another feature to Project Z mod (maybe call it something else later) that includes VPT Surround (reverb)

That is only possible by using one of the AXX players' firmware on the ZX300, which is not a good idea, as you would lose the ability to activate High Gain, for example, or the 10 band eq, etc.

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #12,258 of 12,862
Hi guys,

Just want to share my thoughts & impression of Mr Walkman's modification Project Z on my ZX300.

I bought my ZX300 2 years ago (in Jan 2019) at a discounted USD487 and I had been using it "loyally" until May 2020 when I bought iBasso DX160 (which was relatively cheaper when new @ USD400 compared to ZX300's USD700 initial price tag). Since then my everyday go-to DAP has been DX160 which I can honestly say is much better than ZX300 with latter left in my drawer most of the time. DX160 has a parametric EQ and bigger output ~800mW (@ 32 Ohm). The sound stage is also wider, instrument separation (imaging) & dynamics are better while the higher frequencies are obviously clearer than ZX300's. So overall my DX160 is a much better sounding DAP than my older ZX300.

Two days ago I decided to try Mr Walkman's Project Z mod on my ZX300. Installation was smooth as I followed closely his guidelines. Bingo! Fantastic results! My ZX300 sounds much better, has wider sound stage, clearer mids & highs. Ironically it's still hard for me to choose between the 2 versions Classic and Pro - sometimes the former is better while on other occasions, latter sounds more musical (to my ears) depending on genres or whether I am using IEMs or headphones. Well done to Mr Walkman, nice work on tweaking on Sony's DSP algorithm. Thank you very much for an ingenious masterpiece. Finally now, my ZX300 sounds almost as good as my DX160.

Out of curiosity, I just wonder if @MrWalkman can add another feature to Project Z mod (maybe call it something else later) that includes VPT Surround (reverb) - which is normally found in Sony's entry-level DAPs like A30-, A40- and A50-series and also its Xperia smartphone product lines such as Xperia Z5, XZ etc 5-6 years back but not in higher-end DAP models like ZX- or WM1-series. I like this feature because it gives listeners like myself a choice whether you want a "studio", "club", "live" or "matrix" virtual 3-D sound stage. Sometimes you just want to change the "ambiance" a bit. I know it's quite gimmicky, nice-to-have kind of feature but if this is possible, why not? Would really appreciate this additional feature...

Well, that's all I want to say. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Hope to get some positive feedback from Mr Walkman. Ciao...

I also own both the DX160 and a ZX300. You need to try the previous FEv2 firmware. As much as I liked Project Z and it is very cool I have that option. I feel it is a good firmware for all BA iems as it adds a sense of dimensionality smooths out edgy sounding all BA earphones. The FEv2 actually has the better sound for me as with a lot of people. In fact with the FEv2. I feel it competes with the DX160 easily.. I would try that firmware and see for yourself. Of course all thanks goes out to the Master. Mr. Walman for toiling over these firmwares.

I feel FEv2 has more of a versatile sound vs the Project Z. Which has a warm dimensional basis for its tuning. Very cool to have both on tap whenever I feel like changing up the sonics.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #12,259 of 12,862
That is only possible by using one of the AXX players' firmware on the ZX300, which is not a good idea, as you would lose the ability to activate High Gain, for example, or the 10 band eq, etc.
Duly noted, @MrWalkman.. I guess one can't have everything.. :xf_cool: Thank you for your clarification.. Best regards...

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #12,260 of 12,862
I also own both the DX160 and a ZX300. You need to try the previous FEv2 firmware. As much as I liked Project Z and it is very cool I have that option. I feel it is a good firmware for all BA iems as it adds a sense of dimensionality smooths out edgy sounding all BA earphones. The FEv2 actually has the better sound for me as with a lot of people. In fact with the FEv2. I feel it competes with the DX160 easily.. I would try that firmware and see for yourself. Of course all thanks goes out to the Master. Mr. Walman for toiling over these firmwares.

I feel FEv2 has more of a versatile sound vs the Project Z. Which has a warm dimensional basis for its tuning. Very cool to have both on tap whenever I feel like changing up the sonics.
Thank you for the tips.. Will try out later...

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #12,261 of 12,862
I am certain you will see the brilliance of having both sound signatures. Something you just can't get with other daps. Which actually is like having 4 signatures if your counting classic and plus mode on both top firmwares. Brilliant and gives new life to the old ZX300. Report back and let us know what you think.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #12,262 of 12,862
@MrWalkman

I've had my ZX300 a few years i think. Had got only 550 hrs on it, that's going to climb now, dramatically ! The desire to know what the DMP-Z1 sounds like has diminished now, because i have the sound i've been searching for !

SO HAPPY !!! :) :):)

Well, one week later.....i've added just over 46hrs of listening.....should hit the 600hrs mark tomorrow.....

Your brain does have to adjust to the insane amount of detail, especially to albums you've listened to thousands of times. I'm tempted to try the DMP 300 FEv2 ??.....but i'm still beyond happy with Project Z ( Plus )

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #12,263 of 12,862
One of the wonderful experiences in our hobby is when we listen to an album we’ve heard countless times before, and we hear it anew, big dopamine release. 😁

Feb 17, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #12,264 of 12,862
I've now mastered Kid3 enough for all my needs and made really good progress on album art tagging as a result. So thank you to those on here that suggested it as an alternative to Puddletag.

I'm really enjoying my ZX300 too. All round performance and usability is everything I'd hoped it would be and more. I dug out some old B&W Society of Sound recordings and they've been a joy to listen to! Some of the live recordings have been the cliched, 'it's as if you're in the same room', experience. :)

I picked up a well priced 512gb sd card recently too, and soon I'll be ready to try out MrWalkman's mods. But it's silly question time again I'm afraid.

1) Am I better off using a Windows machine than my Linux laptop to install the firmware? (I have yet to get Wine to work on my Linux system).

2) In simple terms, how exactly do I install the firmware? Once downloaded and unzipped, do I drag and drop it onto the Sony and open it in there? Or do I just run it on the pc whilst the Sony is connected and that installs it?

Sorry for such simple questions. I'm not quite completely computer illiterate, but I have no experience of installing firmware on devices outside of doing simple official firmware on the device itself.

Feb 17, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #12,265 of 12,862
I have no experience of installing firmware on devices outside of doing simple official firmware on the device itself.

It works like with official firmware updates - run the executables as instructed, from your PC.

I recommend doing it in a Windows machine, as I can't vouch that the results will be the same via other methods.

Feb 17, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #12,266 of 12,862
It works like with official firmware updates - run the executables as instructed, from your PC.

I recommend doing it in a Windows machine, as I can't vouch that the results will be the same via other methods.

Thank you. Most appreciated :thumbsup:

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #12,267 of 12,862
1) Am I better off using a Windows machine than my Linux laptop to install the firmware? (I have yet to get Wine to work on my Linux system).

You CAN do it in Linux, but you must be at home in the terminal and with basic bash commands. However you are saving yourself some trouble by doing it in windows or in a windows VM (virtual machine) - it is very smooth, just read and follow the instructions. NB I couldn't make the installer work under Wine.

Feb 24, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #12,270 of 12,862
Hello all. I just got my hands on a 2nd hand zx300... Are there no 3rd party manufacturers making docks for this model? The only model i see is the First party Sony BCR-NWH10.... are there other options?

The short answer is no, probably not, although you could have a look on eBay JP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back