Sony NW-ZX300
Jan 30, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #12,181 of 12,862
Loving the FE +
Thank you @MrWalkman for this update!

Wish I had my Z7M2 with me to enjoy it more! Currently listening with my travel pair 1AM2 to "Into My Arms" by Giant Rooks on repeat as it is one of my regular test songs. A lot more details can be heard. This song really showcase the FE Plus as described in firmware notes. Simply beautiful!

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #12,183 of 12,862
Brilliant work @MrWalkman!! I have been pleasantly surprised with the new plus tuning. I didn't expect it to measure up so well against my new DX300. I'd say the DX300 still has the larger, more grand soundstage and better layering but this new plus firmware makes it sound like there's a lot more power coming through the little ZX300. Pretty awesome how much improved the ZX300 can get with your firmware tweaks. Thanks for the hard work :)

Jan 31, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #12,184 of 12,862
Holy smokes the pairing with balanced zx300, Andromedas, direct source on, and FE plus is just sublime. Can it get any better than this by using dsee, dc phase analyzer etc? Curious to know your configurations as well folks but well done, MrWalkman! Breathing new life to this dap

Jan 31, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #12,185 of 12,862
Holy smokes the pairing with balanced zx300, Andromedas, direct source on, and FE plus is just sublime. Can it get any better than this by using dsee, dc phase analyzer etc? Curious to know your configurations as well folks but well done, MrWalkman! Breathing new life to this dap

I'm glad you like it!

On my WM1A I usually use DSEE AI, DC Phase Linearizer set to Type A Low, and Vinyl Processor set to Standard.

In the end it's up to you to experiment and see what fits you best :)

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #12,186 of 12,862
The ZX300 will be my first device where I'm able to use a balanced connection. I'm a believer in cables making a difference on home hifi, having done some testing with various interconnects on my set up over the years. Sightly different I know, but naturally i'd like to have a play around with balanced vs unbalanced on the ZX300, particularly given the countless reviews I've read.

I have a few questions regarding going balanced, and I'm also after some recommendations too. But knowing the potential of opening up the cable can of worms, lol, is it ok to fire away here, or should I take it elsewhere? I have no wish to derail a thread. If the latter, can someone please point me in the direction of the most suitable thread. Thanks.

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #12,187 of 12,862
The ZX300 will be my first device where I'm able to use a balanced connection. I'm a believer in cables making a difference on home hifi, having done some testing with various interconnects on my set up over the years. Sightly different I know, but naturally i'd like to have a play around with balanced vs unbalanced on the ZX300, particularly given the countless reviews I've read.

I have a few questions regarding going balanced, and I'm also after some recommendations too. But knowing the potential of opening up the cable can of worms, lol, is it ok to fire away here, or should I take it elsewhere? I have no wish to derail a thread. If the latter, can someone please point me in the direction of the most suitable thread. Thanks.

Most of the aftermarket cables are just being mentioned on all other threads, especially on IEM threads. You can also check the DIY thread. I'm not aware if there's a thread dedicated only to aftermarket or replacement cables.

Jan 31, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #12,188 of 12,862
Thanks pr0b3r. i'll let loose with some cable queries here then.

1) Any suggestions for budget friendly .78mm 2pin to 4.4mm balanced cable for my NFAudio NA2 iems please? These have a 'warm' sound to them and if the ZX300 also leans towards 'warm', should I tend towards silver over copper cable to help 'brighten' everything up a bit? By budget, I mean ideally nothing north of £30.

2) I'm assured by Hifiman that my Edition S can take a balanced cable (I assume nearly all headphones are inherently balanced, it just depends how you cable them?) They have a 3.5mm output on just the left ear, not both. I'm struggling to find a single 3.5mm balanced to 4.4mm balanced cable. Am I missing something here, and need re educating, or do such cables exist but are hard to find?

3) Assuming I source balanced cables for both sets of headphones ( The iems will be no problem ) can I use a 4.4mm female to 3.5mm male adapter so that I can then use my Cowon M2 without the pfaff of changing complete cables over? As I understand it, it is safe to adapt balanced cables to unbalanced using an adaptor, just the other way round that can end up blowing up your source? And if that understanding is correct, why are unbalanced to balanced adapters allowed to be sold if they can damage your source?

Any links to recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 31, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #12,189 of 12,862
2) I'm assured by Hifiman that my Edition S can take a balanced cable (I assume nearly all headphones are inherently balanced, it just depends how you cable them?) They have a 3.5mm output on just the left ear, not both. I'm struggling to find a single 3.5mm balanced to 4.4mm balanced cable. Am I missing something here, and need re educating, or do such cables exist but are hard to find?

The part of the cable that connects to the headphones is indeed 3.5mm, but it has 4 poles, and not just 3 like a single-ended 3.5mm would be like.

4 poles means it's a balanced connection in the case of the Edition S, and you could use this cable to connect your Edition S to a 4.4 mm balanced port: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-4mm-BALANCED-Audio-Cable-For-Hifiman-Edition-S-headphones-/184003535252

1612114507466.png

See how the 3.5mm part has 4 poles/rings - this part goes into the headphones.

Jan 31, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #12,190 of 12,862
The part of the cable that connects to the headphones is indeed 3.5mm, but it has 4 poles, and not just 3 like a single-ended 3.5mm would be like.

4 poles means it's a balanced connection in the case of the Edition S, and you could use this cable to connect your Edition S to a 4.4 mm balanced port: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-4mm-BALANCED-Audio-Cable-For-Hifiman-Edition-S-headphones-/184003535252

1612114507466.png

See how the 3.5mm part has 4 poles/rings - this part goes into the headphones.
Thanks, yeah TRRS, rather than TRS? I think that was the only one I turned up as it was also on Ebay. £44.99 is a bit more than I was hoping to pay.

Jan 31, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #12,191 of 12,862
Thanks, yeah TRRS, rather than TRS? I think that was the only one I turned up as it was also on Ebay. £44.99 is a bit more than I was hoping to pay.

TRRS, but there are more 3.5 TRRS types, like for those headphones with in-line mic/remotes, so it's a TRRS balanced.

Regarding adapters, a 3.5mm male to 4.4 female can work:

1612115085394.png

For a single-ended connection out of a balanced one, the 4.4 connector also has a ground, and in that case you could use a 4.4 male to 3.5 single-ended female adapter, but you would only get around half the power of the balanced port, so it may not be worth it.

One thing is that not all player manufacturers are using the ground pin on the 4.4 connector (like Sony on their WM1A/Z and ZX300).

Also, the 2.5 mm balanced connector doesn't have a ground if I'm not mistaken, so a connector like this won't be possible.

1612115249939.png

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #12,192 of 12,862

As a cable is always connected between the DAP and the IEM, I believe it is proper to discuss the synergy of the cable for the DAP/IEM being used, so either thread is a proper place to discuss the components that make up the system (DAP, cable, IEM). After all, you can't get music if any of the parts are missing.

However, I am sure there are also threads that are focused on cable materials, braiding, insulation, insulation, shielding, connectors, etc, as a subject in it's own entirety, and less on the DAP/IEM, so if that is the discussion desired, then yes, those specialized threads would be better for that type of discussion.

Regarding cables, the best way is at a store where you can try them. And some advice is:
- don't jump too quickly. Try a first impression, and a 2nd, and a 3rd. Don't jump into the deep end right away. Ease into it to learn what is available, and what you like. And what is affordable.
- read reviews, but be aware that different equipment and synergy, or just the wrong fitting earbuds, will five entirely different results from what an experienced reviewer experiences. But reviews are necessary to get a beginning idea.
https://headphone.guru/the-aftermarket-iem-cable-shootout-part-1/
https://theheadphonelist.com/category/reviews/cable-reviews/

- watch your budget. It is too easy to overspend, and unfortunately, everybody does exactly that. Keep a balance. Or at least try to.
- try cheaper, lesser-name cables first. If limited budget, this is the way to go.
- the cable should also be easy to use/pack up. One with bad egonomics will get used less often.
- be clear on what you are looking for in the music first. i.e. I look for more micro detail/stage, for vocals, and jazz/classical. And Pop/Rock. Transparent, not harsh. Copper did not give what I wanted. Gravitated towards silver. (pure, not plated). Currently finding that hybrid combinations have some sort of magic to them. Take a look at Hansound Aegis and Kimera for a hybrid. Agni for a silver cable. I happen to like Hansound, but they are not that widespread. Take a look in the stores, or web sites, for others. Effect Audio, Plussound, PW Audio, Brise, ALO, etc.

- Be aware that first impressions can be misleading. Like going to Future Shop and hearing a speaker that is artificially boosted to impress. But when you take it home, you find you cannot live with it.

And it all takes time, and learning, and mistakes. Many mistakes. All part of paying the dues.

Oh, was your question whether you should try 4.4 balanced? I would say definitely.

Jan 31, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #12,193 of 12,862
TRRS, but there are more 3.5 TRRS types, like for those headphones with in-line mic/remotes, so it's a TRRS balanced.

Regarding adapters, a 3.5mm male to 4.4 female can work:

1612115085394.png

For a single-ended connection out of a balanced one, the 4.4 connector also has a ground, and in that case you could use a 4.4 male to 3.5 single-ended female adapter, but you would only get around half the power of the balanced port, so it may not be worth it.

One thing is that not all player manufacturers are using the ground pin on the 4.4 connector (like Sony on their WM1A/Z and ZX300).

Also, the 2.5 mm balanced connector doesn't have a ground if I'm not mistaken, so a connector like this won't be possible.

1612115249939.png
Thanks for talking the time to help. You may have to bear with me I'm afraid :frowning2:

This is where I start to get confused I'm afraid, even with the simple diagrams. I sort of understand the various tip ring sleeve configurations, and where mics can also work into the equation, but I still don't fully understand the grounding processes involved. In a nutshell I don't want to be plugging anything into the 4.4mm balanced output of the ZX300 that might risk shorting it, so I'll be avoiding any uses of adapters there. But am I correct that I can use an adapter from a 4.4mm jack to plug into a 3.5mm unbalanced without any risk of harm? This would be just to go back into my Cowon without changing the balanced cables ( I realise I wouldn't be getting a balanced signal from the Cowon as it doesn't have a balanced output anyway).

Apologies for being a bit slow. The more I find out on this subject the more confused I seem to get. I've only ever been used to using simple 3.5mm and 6.3mm unbalanced set ups.

Jan 31, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #12,194 of 12,862
But am I correct that I can use an adapter from a 4.4mm jack to plug into a 3.5mm unbalanced without any risk of harm? This would be just to go back into my Cowon without changing the balanced cables ( I realise I wouldn't be getting a balanced signal from the Cowon as it doesn't have a balanced output anyway).

Yes, it sounds of something like this:
1612116867998.png

Myself I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0827VZVSW/

Jan 31, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #12,195 of 12,862
As a cable is always connected between the DAP and the IEM, I believe it is proper to discuss the synergy of the cable for the DAP/IEM being used, so either thread is a proper place to discuss the components that make up the system (DAP, cable, IEM). After all, you can't get music if any of the parts are missing.

However, I am sure there are also threads that are focused on cable materials, braiding, insulation, insulation, shielding, connectors, etc, as a subject in it's own entirety, and less on the DAP/IEM, so if that is the discussion desired, then yes, those specialized threads would be better for that type of discussion.

Regarding cables, the best way is at a store where you can try them. And some advice is:
- don't jump too quickly. Try a first impression, and a 2nd, and a 3rd. Don't jump into the deep end right away. Ease into it to learn what is available, and what you like. And what is affordable.
- read reviews, but be aware that different equipment and synergy, or just the wrong fitting earbuds, will five entirely different results from what an experienced reviewer experiences. But reviews are necessary to get a beginning idea.
https://headphone.guru/the-aftermarket-iem-cable-shootout-part-1/
https://theheadphonelist.com/category/reviews/cable-reviews/

- watch your budget. It is too easy to overspend, and unfortunately, everybody does exactly that. Keep a balance. Or at least try to.
- try cheaper, lesser-name cables first. If limited budget, this is the way to go.
- the cable should also be easy to use/pack up. One with bad egonomics will get used less often.
- be clear on what you are looking for in the music first. i.e. I look for more micro detail/stage, for vocals, and jazz/classical. And Pop/Rock. Transparent, not harsh. Copper did not give what I wanted. Gravitated towards silver. (pure, not plated). Currently finding that hybrid combinations have some sort of magic to them. Take a look at Hansound Aegis and Kimera for a hybrid. Agni for a silver cable. I happen to like Hansound, but they are not that widespread. Take a look in the stores, or web sites, for others. Effect Audio, Plussound, PW Audio, Brise, ALO, etc.

- Be aware that first impressions can be misleading. Like going to Future Shop and hearing a speaker that is artificially boosted to impress. But when you take it home, you find you cannot live with it.

And it all takes time, and learning, and mistakes. Many mistakes. All part of paying the dues.

Oh, was your question whether you should try 4.4 balanced? I would say definitely.
Thanks for the detailed reply. A few takes from it.

When I played around with interconnects on my hifi years ago, testing was exactly what I did. I was able to put a deposit down at a local shop and take home several sets of cables to play on my system at home and come to a conclusion. It wasn't easy! Some cables sounded 'better' on some tracks than others and vica versa. It took me a while to settle on an overall winner.

Budget - I was always told a rough budget guide for cables should really be about 10% cost of your source material. It's a fools errand to go spending big on cables if you haven't the expensive equipment to justify them. I stick by that advice.

Materials and sound signature - Without going in to too much detail. I suspect I'll be looking to open up more detail given the Dap and headphones I'm pairing.

In an ideal world I'd walk into a local hifi shop and have a play around with various cables, but that isn't an option unfortunately. Bearing in mind what I said earlier about budget too, I'm just looking for a well recommended cable really that should meet my needs. I'm no audiophile, getting older and just happy to listen to my music on the best gear I can get for my budget, rather than try to over analyse the sound and forever chase upgrades.

I'll read up on those links, thanks. In the meantime, any general recommendations you may have in and around the £30 or less mark would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back