Sony NW-ZX300
Nov 18, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #11,911 of 12,862
Nov 18, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #11,914 of 12,862
The player is supposed to reboot, both when doing the first step, and also when doing the second step (the external tuning).

So it's all good.

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #11,915 of 12,862
The player is supposed to reboot, both when doing the first step, and also when doing the second step (the external tuning).

So it's all good.

Your site mentions a MKII version of the DMP300 firmware coming in the comments, is this referring to the FE?

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #11,916 of 12,862
Nov 18, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #11,917 of 12,862
I installed the DMP300FE firmware on my ZX300, very simple process even for those new to using a PC like me. I didn’t try the Japanese region yet since I want to get a chance to hear all the changes with the new firmware.

There is a very demonstrable difference with the new firmware, bass is enhanced with a bit more texture, and as others have reported, the soundstage opens up. Most importantly to me, especially using my EE Odin, the upper frequency glare sometimes prevalent with the stock firmware appears to be gone, more about this as I explore my music library more.

Thank you, @MrWalkman, for your time, knowledge, and generosity. I’ll have to add another donation for all your effort!
+1 on the new firmware with the Odin. Great pairing and no glare! Curious, @jwbrent what sound settings do you have enabled or do you have direct source on? I am preferring the sound with EQ on even with all frequencies flat vs. Direct Source enabled. I tried DSEE for a little bit but prefer the sound with that disabled, may try to experiment more.

Excellent work @MrWalkman, very much appreciated!

Nov 18, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #11,918 of 12,862
Switched my region from CN to J to see if there was an audible difference (there was), and happened to notice the omission of a language setting in "settings". I remember choosing "English" during the initial setup when I purchased the unit ~2 years ago, but has the language setting never existed or was it removed in firmware 2.02?

Nov 18, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #11,919 of 12,862
Switched my region from CN to J to see if there was an audible difference (there was), and happened to notice the omission of a language setting in "settings". I remember choosing "English" during the initial setup when I purchased the unit ~2 years ago, but has the language setting never existed or was it removed in firmware 2.02?
Once you switch to J you lose language selection. So if you ever need to do a factory reset you need to switch to a different region before doing the reset. Otherwise all screens will be in Japanese.

Nov 18, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #11,921 of 12,862
Yes, the Japanese region is the most balanced of all.
With all this talk of region change, I think its time you put your skill to develop a simple region changer for the beloved Walkmans @MrWalkman :)

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #11,923 of 12,862
Hello guys. The StockRevert app from FE edition is not working on my device. The installation on Windows is completed succesfully, but on my player it shows progress bar for a second or so, and player was restarted, still on DMP300 firmware. Maybe the problem was that I have installed a ZX300(A)++ version - does not remeber right now is this a update for DMP300 FW, or only stock - just found this .exe file in my sony fw dedicated folder :wink:

Thankfully I kept the previous version files so with these StockRevert works as expected, also the StockRevertExtTuning (but in this case the update bar also was shown on the screen for the second or so).

Question about region changing - should I reset all device settings to the stock as the SonyNWDestTool tutorial saids? I've restored to stock FW and now I have changed to J region (with just restarting the device manually, without restoring device settings).

Is it ready to instal FE version right now?

Edit:
After rebooting my device (without restoring its settings to stock), scsitool shows that I am on J region now. Is it good to go now?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #11,924 of 12,862
After successfully reverting eventually, please redownload DMP-300 FE from the website to avoid the issues you encountered.

You only need to restart the player after changing the region.

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #11,925 of 12,862
Thank you, I've installed both succesfully, works as hell now, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back