Sony NW-ZX300
Jan 7, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #11,056 of 12,862
aha...works! looks like it was like this by default or the previous owner removed the volume limit but without 'Reset all settings'. The volume is slightly enhanced, 100 level is enough now and i get beeps and warning when increasing it above 80 or so.
It looks like you has the volume cap, if you are getting beeps and warning, as that is what the EU volume cap does. Your Destination: CEW/CEW2 is Western Europe. You need to set the destination to other than EU. Your screen shot with Sound Pressure: OFF says you can get a higher volume, but with warnings.

Also, if you want to use the Bluetooth remote, some Regions do not have that, so need to pick a region that does have it (Region E for Asia/Australia has the RMT-NWS20 BT remote in the chart)).

But you will not see the High Gain setting until you set it to a Region other than Europe, that has it. On the chart, it says these regions have High Gain: CA, CN, E, E2. The chart shows you what regions are uncapped, etc.
https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

BTW, I have not needed to do any uncapping, so I have no first hand experience with this. Other people on this forum have much more first hand knowledge in this area.

Destination codes: There may be some inaccurate information in the table below because of Sony's inconsistent naming scheme. Indeed destination codes sometimes vary from one service manual to another. In doubt, choose "U" (USA), it often a good choice.

Destination code Area Volume Language FM range NW-WM1 NW-A20 NW-A35
J Japan uncapped Japanese only (NW) / multilingual (default Japanese) (NWZ) 76 - 95/108 MHz Line-in recording menu and settings (WMC-NWR1 cable necessary); specific profile setting for MDR-NC31/NWNC33 NC earphones; ATRAC (Lossless) playback* Line-in recording menu and settings (WMC-NWR1 cable necessary); specific profile setting for MDR-NC31/NWNC33 NC earphones; ATRAC (Lossless) playback*
U USA uncapped multilingual (default English) 87,5 - 108 MHz
U2 USA uncapped multilingual (default English) 87,5 - 108 MHz
U3 USA uncapped multilingual (default English) 87,5 - 108 MHz
CA Canada uncapped multilingual (default English) 87,5 - 108 MHz "High Gain Output" available
CEV East Europe uncapped multilingual (default English) 87,5 - 108 MHz
CE7 ? ? multilingual (default English) 87,5 - 108 MHz
CEW West Europe capped and warning [Check the volume level] at some point multilingual (default English) 87,5 - 108 MHz
CEW2 West Europe capped and warning [Check the volume level] at some point multilingual (default English) 87,5 - 108 MHz
CN China uncapped multilingual (default S Chinese) 87,5 - 108 MHz "High Gain Output" setting
KR Korea ? multilingual (default English) 87,5 - 108 MHz
E Asia / Australia / NZ / Tourist uncapped multilingual (default English) 87,5 - 108 MHz "High Gain Output" and "Remote Control" (RMT-NWS20 necessary) settings
MX Mexico / Latin America ? multilingual (default English) 87,5 - 108 MHz
E2 Asia / Australia / NZ / Tourist uncapped multilingual (default English) 87,5 - 108 MHz "High Gain Output" setting but missing "Language" and "Text input" settings
MX3 Mexico / Latin America ? multilingual (default English) 87,5 - 108 MHz
TW Taiwan uncapped multilingual (default T Chinese) 87,5 - 108 MHz

* ATRAC files need to be added in J code so that the device recognize them but you can switch to another destination code later, they will still be recognized as long as you don't rebuild the whole library in the settings.

NB: It is possible to get an English UI (not multilingual though) instead of a Japanese UI as well as a 87,5 - 108 MHz FM range on a Japanese device, switching from "J" to another destination code. This was successfuly tested on a Japanese NW-A850 (=NWZ-A840 with Noise Cancelling). See the picture attached.

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #11,057 of 12,862
fixed, thank you :) i switched to E2 and found high gain output menu, it now has the H on volume indicator. i thought destination is read-only and only sound pressure is modifiable to on or off. Even the volume of bluetooth receiver is something else.
As a personal opinion, and comparing to a pioneer xdp-300r dap i've been using so far, the sound is a bit more detailed and punchier but also has the specific sony sound signature, 'colored' as it is called, the bass is way more powerful but i put it down via the eq. in the past i had a few A series sonys and remember well this, i think those daps still beat most of smartphones in terms of sound quality and even cheaper to medium costing daps.
Beside this bass oriented tuning, all in all, it has a very enjoyable output and more details than the pioneer, which has Sabre dacs inside, good ones, neutral compared to Sony, some might consider this a plus.
i pair the zx300 with my smartphone and i see i can setup the sound using the phone via eq of uapp player which is cool. Hi-fi Tidal playing on zx300. And it goes the other way around, pause, next, prev using zx300 buttons.

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #11,058 of 12,862
First off, apologies - I meant to say Mojave and Catalina. Neither content manager nor firmware updater will run on my machine; in both cases the files downloads OK but installation fails.

That is very strange indeed since I can do it without any sort of problems... wonder what the problem is...

installing windows on a a Mac? Just for a firmware update...!? Nah... finding a friend with a pc is much faster and less problematic...

Jan 8, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #11,059 of 12,862
Ah I see.. I just wanted to know if using the charger adaptor would be too much for it to bear since I don't always have a computer. Thank you so much!
Hello, does anyone know if you could connect ZX300's cable to a fast charger handphone adaptor instead of a running computer for charging?

Thank you for your help!
Thought I'd just mention one other point about charging the NW-ZX300 (maybe it's common to other W/M DAPs). Unless I'm missing something, connecting the device to a USB source will always power the device on, and although you can then switch it off while connected (I mean full power off, not standby mode) it will switch itself back on after a short pause. This happens regardless of whether it's connected to a computer for synchronisation or to a basic wall charger. Obviously it's good to be able to use the device while it's charging, but it would be better to have the option to turn it off while charging rather than extending the already quite long charge time. There may be a reason why it's set up in this way - anyone know?

Jan 9, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #11,060 of 12,862
This is what it's come to. I decided to dump the dumb ass remote and just hook up a lanyard I had to the unit itself. Now it's a backlit full colour remote and I can check track info when I want

R0020801-800x600.jpg

Jan 10, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #11,061 of 12,862
Thought I'd just mention one other point about charging the NW-ZX300 (maybe it's common to other W/M DAPs). Unless I'm missing something, connecting the device to a USB source will always power the device on, and although you can then switch it off while connected (I mean full power off, not standby mode) it will switch itself back on after a short pause. This happens regardless of whether it's connected to a computer for synchronisation or to a basic wall charger. Obviously it's good to be able to use the device while it's charging, but it would be better to have the option to turn it off while charging rather than extending the already quite long charge time. There may be a reason why it's set up in this way - anyone know?
i noticed the same behavior, i plug it into a charger and it boots. i turn it off but starts again.
Another related issue is that whenever it boots or is disconnected from any USB connection, charge, usb storage or dac, it start to create the database. it doesn't take long if nothing changed, i guess it figures this our but is it possible to skip this? is there a menu to tell the player to scan on demand?

Jan 10, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #11,062 of 12,862
Hello, for 3 months I have a Sony NW-A55 of which I am very happy.

I drive it with iems JH Audio Rosie.

They are currently offering in Europe the Sony NW-ZX300 for 400eur ...

Do you think it's worth the change to the last penny?

I will notice a big difference from the normal output or the differences are really only noticed by the balanced output? (I would have to buy an adapter additionally)

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #11,063 of 12,862
No there's no manual scan option. Connecting to USB automatically switches the device on and then keeps switching it on if you switch it off while connected. But switching the device on triggers the database rebuild and there's no way of stopping it.

Jan 10, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #11,065 of 12,862
Because happiness is like wealth, you always have room for more.

Jan 10, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #11,066 of 12,862
Hello, for 3 months I have a Sony NW-A55 of which I am very happy.

I drive it with iems JH Audio Rosie.

They are currently offering in Europe the Sony NW-ZX300 for 400eur ...

Do you think it's worth the change to the last penny?

I will notice a big difference from the normal output or the differences are really only noticed by the balanced output? (I would have to buy an adapter additionally)
Because happiness is like wealth, you always have room for more.
Exact...
That's why I would like to know your opinions

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #11,070 of 12,862
[QUOTE = "joeexp, post: 15408641, member: 403375"] En ese caso, ¿por qué no simplemente invertir e invertir en un Sony NW-WM1A?
Te prometo que serás súper feliz. ¡Llora feliz que con el ZX300, te lo puedo asegurar! [/ CITA]

No necesito eso, ya tengo el ADI 2 DAC que es más portátil ...

Y ahora en serio, ¿alguien puede haber sido dueño de ambos darme una opinión sin prejuicios a mi pregunta, por favor?

Mi pregunta es esta:

Tengo un Sony NW-A55 del cual estoy muy feliz.

Lo conduzco con iems JH Audio Rosie.

Actualmente están disponibles en Europa el Sony NW-ZX300 por 400eur ...

No quiero gastar mi dinero tontamente, pero ... ¿Crees que vale la pena el cambio al último centavo?

¿Notaré una gran diferencia con respecto a la salida normal o las diferencias solo se notan en la salida balanceada? (Tendría que comprar un adaptador adicionalmente)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back