Sony NW-ZX300
Sep 2, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #10,441 of 12,862
I cant seem to get this to work on either my Samsung S10 or LG V40, just doesnt seem to find the devices.

Also, I downloaded a compilation album and its populated my Artist list with every artist appearing on the album making it long and untidy. Is there a way of adjusting the tags perhaps so that they are all grouped?
You are making sure to make the phones discover-able, right?

Sep 2, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #10,442 of 12,862
I have read that the battery life is OK on the new AK. Maybe 11 hours, but check!

I think the A&K will overall be better sounding, but it comes down to preference. They say A&K tend to be a bit forward and exited. I would not know, because I have never heard a single A&K unit. If I were you, I would go by pro-reviews, and user reviews. What HiFi reviewl the a&norma SR15, as 'full and lush'.

The ZX300 is quite neutral, I think. Not screaming hot on detail, and not laid back...…...ZX300 battery life is very good. … It does bug me when the EU volume limiter kicks in about once a month. It stops playback, and pauses until you press OK. (OK that you know you are over EU recommendation volume.)

I think the A&K will have more volume, in single ended at least.

I wanted the Sony for battery life, plus users love it. What pro-reviews there are, were very positive about the ZX300. What HiFi's review of the ZX300 was only four-star. However they only ran it in over a weekend, while Sony recommend 200 hours to be sure.

If I were starting again with no DAP, I would audition the A&K - no question about that. (I would wanted DAP I had to pair with a Chord DAC in OTG mode too. You might want to check that.)

Why not remove the volume limit? It is easy enough to do it these days.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #10,444 of 12,862
I cant seem to get this to work on either my Samsung S10 or LG V40, just doesnt seem to find the devices.

Also, I downloaded a compilation album and its populated my Artist list with every artist appearing on the album making it long and untidy. Is there a way of adjusting the tags perhaps so that they are all grouped?
20190902_191632.jpg
Screenshot_20190902-191528_Settings.jpg

Also, updated to 2.02 FW and yeah seems it's just slightly more emphasized/brighter in the treble, it's subtle though. Meze 99C needed that. Need to try with my IEMs

Sep 2, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #10,445 of 12,862
Thanks for the answer guys!

I don't have a chance to audition one, I'm from uruguay so there is nothing like that in here...
I'm going to new york in november, maybe I could try them in there??
you most certainly cant in NY and you should give it a listen.. also by that time the zx507 would have been launched so you will have more choices.

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #10,446 of 12,862
Mmm... not to sure about that, but i did notice that some songs that i listen daily sounded kinda different compared to what i remembered from yesterday (can't quite pinpoint what's the difference tho, a bit more congested i think? not to sure). I did recently went from headphones to iems less than a week ago tho (ath es700 balanced to xba-n3 unbalanced) so i'm kinda sure that's the culprit and not the fw. Gotta grab a balanced cable soon.

Out of curiosity, just grabbed my es700's to check... yup, kinda brighter IMHO. I often went with +2 treble eq, now i'm kinda fine using direct. I still think 99% of it is my mind playing tricks on me tho (getting used to the n3's), either that or the change is REALLY subtle.

I just upgraded to 2.02.. Yeap, it does sound bit brighter & more detailed than 2.01.. Like Astell&Kern SR15 or am I just imagining things? But anyway, no regrets - SQ now is at least the same or a tad better than 2.01..

I noticed the volume was ever so slightly different - I now have to on average bump up my volume by 10 clicks to get to a comfortable volume. Initially I thought the treble was decreased, but compared that to an amp and it was just my brain playing tricks again.

I decided to buy the remote in the end. Bit of a rip-off, but I'm willing to overlook it this once if it's as good as I think it is in my head.

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #10,447 of 12,862
So another way to look at it is to be thankful that Sony made a specialized small remote for their Walkman DAPs, even though they are not going to make much/any money from it.

Yeah but they used to include remote controls with their walkmans..it's an essential accessory otherwise it's not a walkman imo.

I walk around, catch a bus and order McDonalds or pickup beer and have to communicate with people from time to time so the pause function is essential to me. Unhooking IER M7s is a pain and reaching into a bag or jacket is too much. I had remote functionality in the '90s why is it so hard now. The remote should be wired in not this blutooth crap that I have to get to pair every time I go out and that runs out of batteries. It should have an LED display, heck put mini album art on it these days. Why do we regress in so many ways??

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #10,448 of 12,862
Yeah but they used to include remote controls with their walkmans..it's an essential accessory otherwise it's not a walkman imo.

I walk around, catch a bus and order McDonalds or pickup beer and have to communicate with people from time to time so the pause function is essential to me. Unhooking IER M7s is a pain and reaching into a bag or jacket is too much. I had remote functionality in the '90s why is it so hard now. The remote should be wired in not this blutooth **** that I have to get to pair every time I go out and that runs out of batteries. It should have an LED display, heck put mini album art on it these days. Why do we regress in so many ways??

Because that will drain the battery further than it has to if there's album art.

I like the wireless remote idea: doesn't have to be permanently tethered to a single spot when used.

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #10,449 of 12,862
I have both. they present a similar level of sound quality (balanced). Sony has a wider and deeper stage, with clearer bass, very detailed midrange and slightly smoother highs than astells. sr15 plays strong with a larger verve, also with a slightly insulated, rich in details mids, but with more pronounced highs. both of them take s lot fun of listening. Sony hold longer on batteries, and astell have wifi and streaming

I forget how good the ZX300 can sound sometimes. I used when I went to a fairly local shop yesterday, only for ten minutes. As soon as I hit play, I realised I forgot how good it can be.

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #10,450 of 12,862
Why not remove the volume limit? It is easy enough to do it these days.

I never understood how to do it. I think it meant doing a flash with a modified version of the firmware, which I was worried about doing. I didn't want to risk bricking my ZX300. Someone did once tell me it's not like full flash, but I wasn't sure what to do.

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #10,451 of 12,862
Finally go a balanced cable for my AKG N40. It was the MMCX version of this one on Amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PM3ZP3L/

8 Core Earphones Replacement Cable,**** Silver Plated Copper Upgrade Cable £18

I bought the last one, so the MMCX is no longer an choice with that page. It's a cheap cable but more folk on here said, 'just get a cheap one - it will be better than SE'. Not sure I bought the right cheap one though. Like the Fiio cable is back on stock on Amazon UK. (Although someone said that needs a tiny mod to fit right.)

I know overall though, that better quality cables result in better sound. Can't help worrying that I might have done my ZX300 and AKG N40 a disservice with this cheap cable.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #10,452 of 12,862
Is there any reason to buy this if I’m already using an iPhone XS with the lighting dongle? I’m getting a set of audio 64 iems and wondering if there is any point to upgrading source gear (using Spotify and tidal exclusively).

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #10,453 of 12,862
Because that will drain the battery further than it has to if there's album art.

It would only display art/info momentarily if you pressed a button, that's not gonna use much battery, no more than checking the screen of the unit itself in fact.

I like the wireless remote idea: doesn't have to be permanently tethered to a single spot when used.

Easy to lose and again requires tedious pairing before using. In line/wired power and control is the best way

Sep 3, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #10,454 of 12,862

I walk around, catch a bus and order McDonalds or pickup beer and have to communicate with people from time to time so the pause function is essential to me. Unhooking IER M7s is a pain and reaching into a bag or jacket is too much. I had remote functionality in the '90s why is it so hard now. The remote should be wired in not this blutooth **** that I have to get to pair every time I go out and that runs out of batteries. It should have an LED display, heck put mini album art on it these days. Why do we regress in so many ways??
On the one hand, I agree with you. On the other hand, the little remote is much nicer than the old wired remotes. But aside from personal likes or dislikes, the fact is that time, and progress, moves on. Like at one time, everybody expected a physical keyboard on their phone, but look at how many models have a keyboard now? Resistance is futile! The Borg will assimilate you!

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #10,455 of 12,862
Finally go a balanced cable for my AKG N40. It was the MMCX version of this one on Amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PM3ZP3L/

8 Core Earphones Replacement Cable,**** Silver Plated Copper Upgrade Cable £18

I bought the last one, so the MMCX is no longer an choice with that page. It's a cheap cable but more folk on here said, 'just get a cheap one - it will be better than SE'. Not sure I bought the right cheap one though. Like the Fiio cable is back on stock on Amazon UK. (Although someone said that needs a tiny mod to fit right.)

I know overall though, that better quality cables result in better sound. Can't help worrying that I might have done my ZX300 and AKG N40 a disservice with this cheap cable.
Nah man, you are good. Cables IMO are hype. I have one expensive cable and the rest cheap ChiFi. I only use my ChiFi cables, they do the same job at a cheaper price. Never again paying over $50 for an IEM cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back