Sony NW-ZX300
Aug 21, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #7,426 of 12,862
Just get a balanced connection and be happy. Your ears will thanks you for it. The balanced jack is more dynamic sounding in all ranges. Soundstage is better including depth and width. More power translates to more punch at at the same volume level. If you going to pay for the ZX300, then a balanced out is madatory. Otherwise, I would just get the ZX100.

I actually don't really like the expansion to the soundstage I get through ZX300 balanced on my New Primacies. It's almost like the music is so diffuse it loses its 'centre' (I'm bad at wording these things). Could just be the degree of separation you get with the NPs tho - I need to try some other IEMs in balanced to compare.

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #7,427 of 12,862
I received a custom 3.5mm SE cable today and decided to try it on the ZX which I've only used the 4.4mm Balanced since day one. Interestingly, the 3.5mm outputs at a much lower volume. Even with HG enabled I had to crank the volume to 102 just for an "appropriate" listening session. Normally on Balanced, depending on earphone of course, I listen at around 68. Time to experiment with my other 3.5 sets.

Aug 21, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #7,428 of 12,862
I received a custom 3.5mm SE cable today and decided to try it on the ZX which I've only used the 4.4mm Balanced since day one. Interestingly, the 3.5mm outputs at a much lower volume. Even with HG enabled I had to crank the volume to 102 just for an "appropriate" listening session. Normally on Balanced, depending on earphone of course, I listen at around 68. Time to experiment with my other 3.5 sets.
If you look at the specs the single ended output is alot less than the balanced. That's why I'm looking to replace my headphones with ones I can swap the cables to go balanced for the higher output to drive them better.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #7,429 of 12,862
^
Yup. I'll be sticking with balanced on the ZX.

Aug 22, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #7,430 of 12,862
The qp1r has more "grunt" and can drive full sized headphones easier, particularly efficient planars which the zx300 struggles with. The zx300 can drive the hd58x relatively well, but I wouldn't be comfortable much past those requirements. The zx300 has a near perfect form and function with an elegant and responsive UI. The qp1r comparatively has a clunky and rather awkward interface with it's control wheel.

The tonal character of the qp1r is good. Overall pretty neutral and doesn't muck up the signature in any real negative way. But this is where the zx300 really excels. It imparts a beautiful tonal balance that is truly impressive for a mobile device. Battery life is better with the Sony and it also offers balanced output which I consider an appreciable advantage given that the performance improves over the balanced output.

Thanks a lot for the comparison.

Was there any change to sq besides staging? Please do keep us informed on how your other 3.5mm se sets fare.

Aug 22, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #7,431 of 12,862
I actually don't really like the expansion to the soundstage I get through ZX300 balanced on my New Primacies. It's almost like the music is so diffuse it loses its 'centre' (I'm bad at wording these things). Could just be the degree of separation you get with the NPs tho - I need to try some other IEMs in balanced to compare.

Besides the enlarged staging, were there any other tonal differences between se and balanced?

Aug 24, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #7,433 of 12,862
With most earbuds I am using DC Phase Linearizer (type A high) and a bit of eq, typically also to eq the low bass up a bit. With some, I also eq the area around 2K down a bit as my ears are sensitive there. I find the benefits to far outweigh a potential degradation of the sound (I've never been able to hear a difference going from Direct to non-direct with all settings off), and I also find the eq to be excellent (though a parametric eq would be better of course:deadhorse:)

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #7,434 of 12,862
I tried most of the different Linearizer settings and I'm happy to stay with Direct Sound. Listening now and I keep checking I'm using my ZX300 and not my Opus#2 (yes they sound different but for some reason the sound today is particularly good). Can't see a reason to experiment anymore - or maybe the album I'm listening to is a very good mastering?

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #7,436 of 12,862
I must be deaf or my ZX300 unit defective (maybe not because the eq works)... I have played around with the DSEE HX and the Phase Linearizer using the settings at their highest (B high or A high). However, I am not sure if I notice any real change in my music. Is the change that subtle or does it depend on the quality of the recording? I listen through the balanced output using MDR-Z7.
Also, related to the DSEE HX: using music center for PC and the ZX300 as DAC, the user has the option to turn on the DSEE and set it at different intensity levels. Again, when I turn it on at its highest, I am not sure if I notice any change in my music. However, maybe in certain songs (and this only happens when I turn on the DSEE in PC music center) I think I notice cymbals that are more reverberant. This does not happen with the same song played directly from the ZX300

Let me know your experiences or if I am deaf.

Aug 25, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #7,437 of 12,862
I must be deaf or my ZX300 unit defective (maybe not because the eq works)... I have played around with the DSEE HX and the Phase Linearizer using the settings at their highest (B high or A high). However, I am not sure if I notice any real change in my music. Is the change that subtle or does it depend on the quality of the recording? I listen through the balanced output using MDR-Z7.
Also, related to the DSEE HX: using music center for PC and the ZX300 as DAC, the user has the option to turn on the DSEE and set it at different intensity levels. Again, when I turn it on at its highest, I am not sure if I notice any change in my music. However, maybe in certain songs (and this only happens when I turn on the DSEE in PC music center) I think I notice cymbals that are more reverberant. This does not happen with the same song played directly from the ZX300

Let me know your experiences or if I am deaf.

I believe the DSEE HX is meant to be used with MP3 files? Any sound "enhancement" technology obviously can't put back exactly what was lost during the compression but when I tried it just now with a 320Kbps track I can detect a small "improvement" in the sound. I noticed the sound-stage opened up a bit more it sounded wider and airer to me with the DSEE HX on. It sounds OK but it may be a little more fatiguing to listen to.

I was using my Shure SE846 with blue filter mod out of the balanced port.

Aug 25, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #7,438 of 12,862
Hi all, I need some help – I’ve recently got the Sony NW-ZX300 and am struggling to notice how much better it is than playing from my iPhone!

I’ve got the Shure SE535’s (had them for 7 years ish now) and have been using it on my iPhone 7 plus with the cable adapter and mainly use Musicloud (which has plenty of my FLAC, WAV and MP3’s on with a great equaliser) or I just use Spotify at I hope 320kbs.

I’ve been listening to the ZX300 with my Shure’s for the past 5 days or so now and played around a lot with all the sound settings and honestly can’t tell a huge difference (well – to justify the £475 price mark that goes with it).

I’ve noticed 2 main improvements - the detail and clarity and how the sound stays so crisp at really high volumes.

Detail and clarity – this is generally noticeable on my DSDs and good quality FLACs. The soundstage is a bit wider and the mids and highs seem more separate. However, I don’t notice a big difference.

High volumes – when I say high volume I mean above 100 (on low gain) and above 80 (on high gain). I don’t know if anyone else uses the ZX300 with the SE535s but those kind of levels are high (I’d get tinnitus in no time am sure) but the sound at these levels are really impressive. To me they sound the most complete – bass, mids and high come together.

If I were to do a blind test with the ZX300 v iPhone I’m not sure the ZX300 would win every time which to me doesn’t justify its price tag. What I want to ask you guys is - am I missing something? Should I not be waiting for a moment of ‘wow’ these are amazing – have I already mentioned the reasons why these are so good already or do I need to wait further into the burn in period? Should I get the balanced cable for the Shure’s? it’s only been around 9 hours, but I’m struggling! Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Aug 25, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #7,439 of 12,862
Hi all, I need some help – I’ve recently got the Sony NW-ZX300 and am struggling to notice how much better it is than playing from my iPhone!

I’ve got the Shure SE535’s (had them for 7 years ish now) and have been using it on my iPhone 7 plus with the cable adapter and mainly use Musicloud (which has plenty of my FLAC, WAV and MP3’s on with a great equaliser) or I just use Spotify at I hope 320kbs.

I’ve been listening to the ZX300 with my Shure’s for the past 5 days or so now and played around a lot with all the sound settings and honestly can’t tell a huge difference (well – to justify the £475 price mark that goes with it).

I’ve noticed 2 main improvements - the detail and clarity and how the sound stays so crisp at really high volumes.

Detail and clarity – this is generally noticeable on my DSDs and good quality FLACs. The soundstage is a bit wider and the mids and highs seem more separate. However, I don’t notice a big difference.

High volumes – when I say high volume I mean above 100 (on low gain) and above 80 (on high gain). I don’t know if anyone else uses the ZX300 with the SE535s but those kind of levels are high (I’d get tinnitus in no time am sure) but the sound at these levels are really impressive. To me they sound the most complete – bass, mids and high come together.

If I were to do a blind test with the ZX300 v iPhone I’m not sure the ZX300 would win every time which to me doesn’t justify its price tag. What I want to ask you guys is - am I missing something? Should I not be waiting for a moment of ‘wow’ these are amazing – have I already mentioned the reasons why these are so good already or do I need to wait further into the burn in period? Should I get the balanced cable for the Shure’s? it’s only been around 9 hours, but I’m struggling! Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
One word ..... BALANCED!

Aug 25, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #7,440 of 12,862
I believe the DSEE HX is meant to be used with MP3 files? Any sound "enhancement" technology obviously can't put back exactly what was lost during the compression but when I tried it just now with a 320Kbps track I can detect a small "improvement" in the sound. I noticed the sound-stage opened up a bit more it sounded wider and airer to me with the DSEE HX on. It sounds OK but it may be a little more fatiguing to listen to.

I was using my Shure SE846 with blue filter mod out of the balanced port.
One word ..... BALANCED!
a +1 to this!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Kpix
Back