Sony NW-ZX300
Aug 21, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #7,411 of 12,862
I think the cheapest site to buy the zx300 brand new is joybuy. It will be the zx300a model with 16gb storage instead of 64gb.

As a zx300a owner, I feel it important to point out that this version seems to be volume capped. For me, this is no problem as I now use the zx300a almost exclusively with iems. If you are trying to drive something more difficult like full sized headphones, this could be an issue.

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #7,412 of 12,862
I think the cheapest site to buy the zx300 brand new is joybuy. It will be the zx300a model with 16gb storage instead of 64gb.

thanks, I need read more this long thread, but is secure buy from China in that web site? I covered by Sony World Warranty or something?
IS THE SAME MODEL as the 64? if not what's the difference? any thing that is made just for china or something weird?
the true Im ok with 16GB, I don't need tons of space.
I see some models have the HI FI logo on the bottom left, why some models have that and some others don't? is the only diff that I spot, or just maybe is a removable sticker? just watch this video, see the sticker HIFI

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #7,413 of 12,862
thanks, I need read more this long thread, but is secure buy from China in that web site? I covered by Sony World Warranty or something?
IS THE SAME MODEL as the 64? if not what's the difference? any thing that is made just for china or something weird?
the true Im ok with 16GB, I don't need tons of space.
I see some models have the HI FI logo on the bottom left, why some models have that and some others don't? is the only diff that I spot, or just maybe is a removable sticker? just watch this video, see the sticker HIFI

Warranty is regionally, and is only valid in China only, memory is different size 16GB/64GB, although china has both version. About the Hi Res logo, only the ZX1 and ZX2 come with the Hi Res logo, I myself have about 20 pieces, so it's not hard to obtain them. You should read within the thread, many has this model, and has posted information on this.

IMG_20180822_021839.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #7,414 of 12,862
third:
the SCREEN of the zx300 is NOT as good as the WM1A??? I mean the quality materials is NOT the same on both??? I see some videos and the WM1A looks better quality LCD.

the WM1A looks like my iPhone 5s screen but the zx300 looks more blurry I think.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #7,415 of 12,862
third:
the SCREEN of the zx300 is NOT as good as the WM1A??? I mean the quality materials is NOT the same on both??? I see some videos and the WM1A looks better quality LCD.
You have to compare that yourself, they are two different thing, you are welcome to spend more on the WM1A.

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #7,417 of 12,862
As a zx300a owner, I feel it important to point out that this version seems to be volume capped. For me, this is no problem as I now use the zx300a almost exclusively with iems. If you are trying to drive something more difficult like full sized headphones, this could be an issue.

my current headphones are a the classic
Sennheiser HD 600
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Open-Back-Professional-Headphone/dp/B00004SY4H
but I'm open to buy a headphones for this device.

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #7,418 of 12,862

What volume are you typically using when driven balanced with iems? I have the same model however haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary volume wise. I'm typically at 25-30 when balanced and using high gain. I haven't used full sized since I don't have a cable for my headphones however I wouldn't be surprised if there was no volume cap on them.

The zx300a should be the Chinese version and I believe Sony only volume limits the European model.

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #7,419 of 12,862
What volume are you typically using when driven balanced with iems? I have the same model however haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary volume wise. I'm typically at 25-30 when balanced and using high gain. I haven't used full sized since I don't have a cable for my headphones however I wouldn't be surprised if there was no volume cap on them.

The zx300a should be the Chinese version and I believe Sony only volume limits the European model.

I've basically been using the Campfire Andromeda exclusively with the zx300a (dream pairing). I have it on the balanced out put and the highest I play with dsd/sacd is about 60. This is not high gain but low.

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #7,420 of 12,862

Oh, are you sure that's the case? I though only EU devices were. Then I will try to use the Rockbox soft.
Did anybody check it and found that 300A is voume capped?

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #7,421 of 12,862
Oh, are you sure that's the case? I though only EU devices were. Then I will try to use the Rockbox soft.
Did anybody check it and found that 300A is voume capped?

I don't really have any doubt. I fix computers for a living so I'm pretty good at the tech stuff. And I have not found that there is a workaround to "uncap." the volume limit.

Aug 21, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #7,424 of 12,862
Guys, any comparisons between zx300 vs qp1r or opus #1 or cayin n5ii or ak mk2 or hiby r6?

Thanks.

The qp1r has more "grunt" and can drive full sized headphones easier, particularly efficient planars which the zx300 struggles with. The zx300 can drive the hd58x relatively well, but I wouldn't be comfortable much past those requirements. The zx300 has a near perfect form and function with an elegant and responsive UI. The qp1r comparatively has a clunky and rather awkward interface with it's control wheel.

The tonal character of the qp1r is good. Overall pretty neutral and doesn't muck up the signature in any real negative way. But this is where the zx300 really excels. It imparts a beautiful tonal balance that is truly impressive for a mobile device. Battery life is better with the Sony and it also offers balanced output which I consider an appreciable advantage given that the performance improves over the balanced output.

Aug 21, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #7,425 of 12,862
.... The zx300 has a near perfect form and function with an elegant and responsive UI. ....

Number one reason why it comes out on top of my DAP collection. In terms of power and general "oomph" there are other DAPs that best the ZX300 (AR-M2 to name one), or feature necessity (Android/Play Store) and musicality (DX200 to name another) but ZX300 ticks the boxes as great value player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back