Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 17, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #6,226 of 12,862
Sorry, that was a combination of my dumb humour, a mocking of what goes on here in these forums, or perhaps a justification for a cosmetic upgrade.

No need to justify how anyone spends their cash :) Cosmetics play a big part in my portable audio purchases, and always have. If I based it purely on sound I'd have an fiio x7ii (yuck) or a questyle, opus #2 or that ugly huge onkyo :) I'd never spend 3 grand on a dap, but I find all the super daps big and ugly.

I've always liked sleeker and sexier portable electronics, I appreciate the aesthetic design as much as the technical.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #6,227 of 12,862
No need to justify how anyone spends their cash :) Cosmetics play a big part in my portable audio purchases, and always have. If I based it purely on sound I'd have an fiio x7ii (yuck) or a questyle, opus #2 or that ugly huge onkyo :) I'd never spend 3 grand on a dap, but I find all the super daps big and ugly.

I've always liked sleeker and sexier portable electronics, I appreciate the aesthetic design as much as the technical.

It isn't all just aesthetics, either. Ergonomics matter. For example, this thing not only looks like a PITA to carry around, but a good way to wear some holes in your pockets, or even cause some testicular discomfort.

9M5np61.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #6,228 of 12,862
It isn't all just aesthetics, either. Ergonomics matter. For example, this thing not only looks like a PITA to carry around, but a good way to wear some holes in your pockets, or even cause some testicular discomfort.

9M5np61.jpg

True lol, I loved the look of the ak70, but after having it awhile I found those sharp edges dent really easily. That is pretty ugly imo for sure.

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #6,229 of 12,862
Has anyone got to try the new MDR-1AM2 yet? Accessory Jack have a good price and free shipping at the moment

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #6,230 of 12,862
Has anyone got to try the new MDR-1AM2 yet? Accessory Jack have a good price and free shipping at the moment

I'm pretty set on buying the Z1R in June, but the 1AM2 is my backup plan. I expect the 1AM2 is plenty good enough, I just want to, for once, get something *nice*. And consumer grade majority plastic headphones always end up creaking on my huge head, even just when moving my jaw around. But all the Japanese retailers' websites went back to full retail pricing on all-things-Sony a few days ago, so where I was looking at just under $1600 for the Z1R it's now $2k, That's a nope. My wife (she's Japanese) says not to worry, the discount price will be back by Golden Week. Hope she's right, but I won't cry if she comes back with the 1AM2. Well, not much.

I'm surprised that annoying "SeiyanLab" Japanese kid hasn't shown off his 1AM2 already on youtube. That kid gets everything.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #6,231 of 12,862
I'm pretty set on buying the Z1R in June, but the 1AM2 is my backup plan. I expect the 1AM2 is plenty good enough, I just want to, for once, get something *nice*. And consumer grade majority plastic headphones always end up creaking on my huge head, even just when moving my jaw around. But all the Japanese retailers' websites went back to full retail pricing on all things Sony a few days ago, so where I was looking at just under $1600 for the Z1R it's now $2k, That's a nope. My wife (she's Japanese) says not to worry, the discount price will be back by Golden Week. Hope she's right, but I won't cry if she comes back with the 1AM2. Well, not much.
Those Z1R are more than I would want to spend, I looked into Z7 but from reviews I think have been turned off them so those 1AM2 look to be an easy balanced option and a decent price too. Still undecided though

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #6,232 of 12,862
Those Z1R are more than I would want to spend, I looked into Z7 but from reviews I think have been turned off them so those 1AM2 look to be an easy balanced option and a decent price too. Still undecided though

Yeah the Z1R is definitely out of the price range I’d normally be considering. Up to $1k or so would be much more “comfortable” in my mind, for a headphone. I need a closed headphone, want good comfort and sturdy noncreaking build (see the headsize issue, above), and that the zx300 can drive with some room to spare. Most of the bigboy closed cans are more demanding than the Z1R. Also complicating things is that for the moment, anything other than the Z1R or 1AM2 involves a hefty surcharge for a 4.4 cable. Taking all that into account, plus that I drool just looking at them, I’m willing to take the hit for the Z1R @ 1600, but not more. And it’s still a “just close your eyes and pay, then forget how much it was” situation.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #6,233 of 12,862
Check out the Campfire Cascade.

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #6,234 of 12,862
Check out the Campfire Cascade.

I've looked at them. After watching yt reviews and reading here, for that price I don't think they're for me. Reports on the sound are all good (so far, but Tyll lurks in the shadows lol) - I like some V shape, I like 'enjoyable' over neutral. My issues are more wrt: physical aspects.

1. clamp force is on the high side according to people with average skulls, and my head is large (64cm circumference). Which means pain.

2. Pressure/hot point at center/top from headband

3. Ear pockets too small (probably a problem for me with 1AM2 as well, but they're not $800)

4. Well, my apologies to Currawong for using a screenshot from his video review to demonstrate, but he discusses it in the review so ...

8naSD4x.png

Anything that costs that much shouldn't look that awkward. Really. I know, I know, the sound is king. Do these isolate well enough to keep you from hearing the laughter?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #6,235 of 12,862
Currently owning the Z1R and Cascade, and just recently sold my 1A LE and tried the 1AM2, I can say for certain that they are all very different, even if they are all closed headphones

The Z1R wins the most comfortable headphone category by miles, with the 1A/M2 following and then the Cascade.

The 1AM2 has the most energetic treble out of all of them, but crossed my personal threshold so I found them a bit sibilant, the old 1A tuning is more to my personal liking if I were to compare the two.

The Cascade is indeed excellent but you do have to be aware of the powerful bass which you must try first to see if it is too much. I respect the Cascade for injecting much needed life into the high quality portable headphone sector that has, up till now, been pretty much neglected by all manufacturers except Ultrasone.

I would say the Z1R is actually the most easy listening of them all, works with everything type of headphone. It is indeed TOTL flagship in every way in comfort, styling and sound (yes ignore what that infamous critic says about these). Still don't regret buying it.

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #6,237 of 12,862
True, that would be difficult to sort out - I live in a small country with a very limited amount of options and brands for many things so I usually have to source from overseas. In saying that I am luck that they won't collect tax on anything under an equivalent of US$280

Users who are viewing this thread

Back