Sony NW-ZX300
Jan 14, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #3,871 of 12,862
I am really having a hard time trying to understand how the zx300 handles album art. Sometimes it can display arts of 1000 pixels sometimes not. So I usually use mp3tag and downscales the images to 500px500 just to be safe but still sometimes the zx300 still doesnt recognize it. Is there an official guide on how the unit handles this?

I am talking about flac files. Not wav.

Sometimes right clicking on the album folder, selecting properties and un selecting write protection and saving that then using mp3 tag will do the trick. Has worked on any that gave me issue.

Jan 14, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #3,873 of 12,862
Has anyone been able to save eq presets and retrieve them? If so, what steps are you Following?

I have tried by reading the help guide on Sony’s website but it says it saves the settings but then the eq turns flat again. And also I haven’t found away to use a saved eq setting. I very time I go to an eq saved setting it just asks if I want to overwrite it with the current setting. I wish the Sony manual were more detailed!

Jan 14, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #3,874 of 12,862
does it mean i have to convert to FLAC format with album embedded to each song ?

I have a dilemma, I thought WAV offers the best playback due to no compression while FLAC still need to convert to WAV before output (naturally additional processing means more noise ?)

Transcoding from FLAC to AIFF or WAV is bit perfect unless the FLAC file was made with compression. The normal setting for most converters is no compression with error checking. The whole idea of FLAC, and ALAC for that matter, is to more efficiently package data without any loss of data. Both file types can be losslessly converted to AIFF or WAV. The essence of digital computing and digital devices is that a bit perfect operation on a file will not introduce noise or errors. The only thing that's important here is making sure the FLAC has been made with no compression. I use XLD on a Mac and the default setting is no lossy compression. Of course you don't save as much space with no compression but you do get some savings, often as much as 30-40%. There are some audiophiles with audiophilia nervosa who worry about things like this and refuse to do any additional processing. Kind of silly considering digital music files are often digitally processed and transcoded multiple times in the production process. For many others, FLAC is the preferred file type. So don't worry about it.

Having said all that, I occasionally have trouble with the display of album art from FLAC files on one device or another. It's usually just one album that misbehaves and making a new copy often solves the problem. That's the first thing I try when the art isn't right.

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #3,876 of 12,862
Has anyone been able to save eq presets and retrieve them? If so, what steps are you Following?

I have tried by reading the help guide on Sony’s website but it says it saves the settings but then the eq turns flat again. And also I haven’t found away to use a saved eq setting. I very time I go to an eq saved setting it just asks if I want to overwrite it with the current setting. I wish the Sony manual were more detailed!

Yes I think right now you only get one eq saved, and no presets.

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #3,877 of 12,862

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-zx300.854693/page-86#post-13787220

See if it helps

Jan 14, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #3,879 of 12,862
Hi everyone ! Can anybody say something about battery life , battery issues , heat, drain . Read about some heating issues about fiio x7 second . And if anyone else can compare both devices in term of sound quality and volume power.

Jan 14, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #3,880 of 12,862
Hi everyone ! Can anybody say something about battery life , battery issues , heat, drain . Read about some heating issues about fiio x7 second . And if anyone else can compare both devices in term of sound quality and volume power.
1.Battery Life: excellent depending on volume you can get like 30 hours
2.Battery Issues: nothing
3.heat: doesnt even get warm I think
4.drain: if nothing is playing the player goes into something like deep sleep for phones, that way in standby it will last very long

sq: ZX300 balanced 100% unbalanced I have not tested
volume power is 200mW per channel on balanced which should be pretty good for a portable player

Jan 14, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #3,881 of 12,862
1.Battery Life: excellent depending on volume you can get like 30 hours
2.Battery Issues: nothing
3.heat: doesnt even get warm I think
4.drain: if nothing is playing the player goes into something like deep sleep for phones, that way in standby it will last very long

sq: ZX300 balanced 100% unbalanced I have not tested
volume power is 200mW per channel on balanced which should be pretty good for a portable player
Great then .**** it I am taking it :wink:

Jan 14, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #3,882 of 12,862
Ok, here are the step to save and load EQ on WM-1Z/A
should be the same on ZX300

1. First, go to the EQ setting and click the tool box on the right bottom corner

2. Tap the "Saved Sound Settings"

3. Here is the page you can save and load custom EQ setting
three slots "Saved sound settings 1 ~ 3" available

Let's say I tuned the EQ and want to save it for later use
Click the "Save Current Settings"

4. tap slot "Saved sound settings 1"

5. Pop-up warns this will overwrite the setting in slot 1, press "OK" to overwrite

6. Later you want to load the EQ 1
Than tap "Saved sound settings 1"
Pop-up warns this will load the EQ setting in slot 1
Press "OK" to load EQ

Thanks! That worked!

Jan 14, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #3,883 of 12,862
I am really having a hard time trying to understand how the zx300 handles album art. Sometimes it can display arts of 1000 pixels sometimes not. So I usually use mp3tag and downscales the images to 500px500 just to be safe but still sometimes the zx300 still doesnt recognize it. Is there an official guide on how the unit handles this?

I am talking about flac files. Not wav.
I advise you to use Sony software for transferring. I use Music Center, but there's another one I think.
No problems with album art whatsoever. Just add the art manually instead of autosearch, for the autosearch often comes up with washed-out album art or tiny album art. (or if it's already embedded, Music Center will just take the embedded artwork)

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #3,885 of 12,862
I advise you to use Sony software for transferring. I use Music Center, but there's another one I think.
No problems with album art whatsoever. Just add the art manually instead of autosearch, for the autosearch often comes up with washed-out album art or tiny album art. (or if it's already embedded, Music Center will just take the embedded artwork)

You probably did all your album art through some program that only finds baseline jpg's. When browsing through google images it's a crapshoot. This was my experience before I mass converted my whole library with TagScanner, since about 1/4 of my album art did not show up.

If it's not a baseline jpg, it will NOT work with Walkmans. The way you transfer files to the unit does not matter in the slightest. Drag and drop, mediago, does not matter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back