Sony NW-ZX300
Nov 23, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #2,986 of 12,862
How foolish is that, I got a brand new sony kimber kable balances cable before I even had the zx300, but it was cheap, about USD 67, thats not all, I also got a few glass screen protectors and case for the WM1A/1Z, then I got the ZX300 instead of the WM1A/1Z, then I just gave them away, now i'm thinking of getting the WM1A again.:wink:

Nov 23, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #2,988 of 12,862
How foolish is that, I got a brand new sony kimber kable balances cable before I even had the zx300, but it was cheap, about USD 67, thats not all, I also got a few glass screen protectors and case for the WM1A/1Z, then I got the ZX300 instead of the WM1A/1Z, then I just gave them away, now i'm thinking of getting the WM1A again.:wink:
If you need a better quality se than the WM1A, but if you wanna use the balanced output mainly, switching from ZX300 to WM1A makes no sense. The difference is extremely small.

Nov 23, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #2,989 of 12,862
ill just have to see if I have enough cash in two week time during my visit to Japan.

Nov 23, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #2,990 of 12,862
My SE output is almost burned-in. About 25 hrs to go, using it while I sleep has sped up the process lol.

Suffice to say: I'm very content with the sound. There's a big leap, I'd almost say 'giant' leap between the initial hrs and the last hrs before burn-in. Main difference is clarity, especially in the higher regions (and vocals more to the front). For bassheads however, the more relaxed bass will prove a disappointment, but it is more natural this way. it hasn't lost any precision whatsoever, just a more 'musical' bass if that makes sense.

With IEM's the SE-output leaves nothing to be desired. However, for full-canned headphones the balanced connection is perhaps the logical step.

side note: after new year, when I've got more money to spare I'll buy the Shure SRH1540 headphones (indoor usage). Anyone used it with the balanced port? And what to think of the standard Sony balanced cable, will it fit these Shure cans?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #2,992 of 12,862
My SE output is almost burned-in. About 25 hrs to go, using it while I sleep has sped up the process lol.

Suffice to say: I'm very content with the sound. There's a big leap, I'd almost say 'giant' leap between the initial hrs and the last hrs before burn-in. Main difference is clarity, especially in the higher regions (and vocals more to the front). For bassheads however, the more relaxed bass will prove a disappointment, but it is more natural this way. it hasn't lost any precision whatsoever, just a more 'musical' bass if that makes sense.

With IEM's the SE-output leaves nothing to be desired. However, for full-canned headphones the balanced connection is perhaps the logical step.

side note: after new year, when I've got more money to spare I'll buy the Shure SRH1540 headphones (indoor usage). Anyone used it with the balanced port? And what to think of the standard Sony balanced cable, will it fit these Shure cans?

Maybe I should let it run at night , I only have 90 hours so far :flushed:

Nov 23, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #2,994 of 12,862
Maybe I should let it run at night , I only have 90 hours so far :flushed:
I sleep with it- and miss most of the music that way- but I'm a bit conscious to not let it play overly long. The longest I did was 12 hrs. Inside there are electrical circuits that can become warm(er), hence the full mounty of letting it play non-stop until you reach that 200 hrs seems a little dangerous. But I'm no expert.

Nov 24, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #2,996 of 12,862
Notwithstanding that it’s Black Friday and AmazCON UK have just increased the price from yesterday’s £454.20 to £478.56…..

I’ve got zero experience of quality audio gear, but fancy seeing what lossless is all about. All the gear and no idea I here you say, guilty as charged, but you have to start somewhere right?

I’ve read the thread and I’m pretty sure that I’ll be getting the NW-ZX300. From what you guys are saying it seems to be the real deal and at a good price for the spec.

I’ve only got budget IEMs and don’t want to spend a fortune on headphones (at the moment), we all know where this ends! But do realise I need to spec some half decent phones to get off on the right track. I’ll be using the unit for when I travel with work as well as at home. So was thinking of getting the XBA-N3APs with an additional balanced cable (UK) or just getting the XBA-N3BPs from Amazon.jp.

There a couple of references to XBA-N3s in the thread and they seem to get ok reviews online. Shure SE315s and 425s appear to get a few problems with build quality?

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.

Nov 24, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #2,997 of 12,862
I’ve got zero experience of quality audio gear, but fancy seeing what lossless is all about.
There a couple of references to XBA-N3s in the thread and they seem to get ok reviews online. Shure SE315s and 425s appear to get a few problems with build quality?

That feeling when you encounter someone on an audio forum who has never heard a CD before... yep, I'm getting old :expressionless:

Hard to make an IEM recommendation without knowing preferences. I'm not enamored of N3, but they are good all-'rounders IMO, particularly if you like bass.

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #2,998 of 12,862
That feeling when you encounter someone on an audio forum who has never heard a CD before... yep, I'm getting old :expressionless:

Hard to make an IEM recommendation without knowing preferences. I'm not enamored of N3, but they are good all-'rounders IMO, particularly if you like bass.

My bad, I am aware of the medium of the Compact Disc, I even remember watching Tomorrows World when they where first released.

As I said I have no quality audio gear just a basic CD system and thought going down the FLAC route with a portable system would be the most cost effect way of going.

Music is varied but mainly indie rock, do like female vocals, not a massive bass fan, but if the N3s are classed as an all-rounder, that will fit with my novice non specific requirements :smile_phones:

Nov 24, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #2,999 of 12,862
How do you set your sound settings in the menu? Do you use DSEE HX? DC Phase Linearizer? Dynamic Normalizer? Or just Direct Source?
And what is actually the difference between them?
I just use direct source. Direct source is the untampered sound, as is intended by the recording. All these other 'enhancements' are nice if you want to mix it up a little but distort the original sound. Basically, if you want the authentic sound: go direct source. Yet, before burn-in, this sound will not completely be as intended.
The equalizer can come in handy if you want to adapt the sound signature to a certain type of headphones or speakers, or if you just like a v-shaped sound all the time for instance.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #3,000 of 12,862
I just use direct source. Direct source is the untampered sound, as is intended by the recording. All these other 'enhancements' are nice if you want to mix it up a little but distort the original sound. Basically, if you want the authentic sound: go direct source. Yet, before burn-in, this sound will not completely be as intended.
The equalizer can come in handy if you want to adapt the sound signature to a certain type of headphones or speakers, or if you just like a v-shaped sound all the time for instance.
I personally love the enhancement options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back