• F08F09EB-7703-4F87-B6D0-7C250E629604.jpeg
    F08F09EB-7703-4F87-B6D0-7C250E629604.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • FE0802AC-C368-4F25-8202-B117533201DE.jpeg
    FE0802AC-C368-4F25-8202-B117533201DE.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Feb 6, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #12,708 of 12,862
Hi!

Been using this DAP for a while, and while I love it, the fact that it has to build its database every single time you turn it off and the problems with cover art showing are really driving me a bit insane.

I've installed the custom OS and that has fixed somewhat the cover art problems (lets say at 80%), but the database building is still bugging me.

Is there absolutely no way to turn this feature off? I know I could just leave the unit on standby, but i don't want to let the battery die on me.

On the other hand, has anyone tried any high capacity SD cards with the unit? I'm talking 1TB or 2TB, or is it capped by software?

Thanks friends.

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #12,709 of 12,862
Hi!

Been using this DAP for a while, and while I love it, the fact that it has to build its database every single time you turn it off and the problems with cover art showing are really driving me a bit insane.

I've installed the custom OS and that has fixed somewhat the cover art problems (lets say at 80%), but the database building is still bugging me.

Is there absolutely no way to turn this feature off? I know I could just leave the unit on standby, but i don't want to let the battery die on me.

On the other hand, has anyone tried any high capacity SD cards with the unit? I'm talking 1TB or 2TB, or is it capped by software?

Thanks friends.
MrWalkman WalkmanOne fw fixes the cover art problem unless you use very obscure file formats for your art. The library rebuild can not be disabled, just never turn off your player, I have not turned my 1Z off for 6 years except for fw updates. And A55, ZX300 and 1Z all work fine with 1TB cards (I have one in each of my players with 40-50.000 tracks on each) and should also work with 2TB if they ever become available

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #12,710 of 12,862
MrWalkman WalkmanOn fw fixes the cover art problem unless you use very obscure file formats for your art. The library rebuild can not be disabled, just never turn off your player, I have not turned my 1Z off for 6 years except for fw updates. And A55, ZX300 and 1Z all work fine with 1TB cards (I have one in each of my players with 40-50.000 tracks on each) and should also work with 2TB if they ever become available

Thanks for your quick reply!

In the instances where you had to update fw, how long does it take to update the database with that amount of tracks?

Feb 6, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #12,711 of 12,862
Thanks for your quick reply!

In the instances where you had to update fw, how long does it take to update the database with that amount of tracks?
A few minutes normally if nothing has changed on the card

Feb 6, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #12,712 of 12,862
MrWalkman WalkmanOn fw fixes the cover art problem unless you use very obscure file formats for your art. The library rebuild can not be disabled, just never turn off your player, I have not turned my 1Z off for 6 years except for fw updates. And A55, ZX300 and 1Z all work fine with 1TB cards (I have one in each of my players with 40-50.000 tracks on each) and should also work with 2TB if they ever become available
Wow that’s impressive
I hope one day I have 1TB of music. Over past few years I’m only streaming and have now realized that I own very little music. But thanks to Sony Walkman player and the quality of it I have restarted my journey of music collection. But it ain’t cheap.

Feb 6, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #12,713 of 12,862
Wow that’s impressive
I hope one day I have 1TB of music. Over past few years I’m only streaming and have now realized that I own very little music. But thanks to Sony Walkman player and the quality of it I have restarted my journey of music collection. But it ain’t cheap.
I have about 3.500 albums (use streaming very little) and need a 2TB card to fit it all in full resolution. Hopefully they should arrive during this year

Feb 28, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #12,715 of 12,862
Hello guys,
Please do you know if somewhere I can find the « ServiceModeInstaller » for the Nw-zx300 please ?
It seems my prob comes from a NAND flash error du to corrupted database when recreating library ^^
I saw it can be fix on the nw-zx2 by downloading and using this soft and I wonder if it’s possible to fix my device with it ??
Thanks a lot in advance for everythings
Hello Good Evening, I am sending you this email because I recently saw that you shared in the forum that you had a ZX300 and it did not come out of the restart loop; My question is if you managed to solve this problem with your Sony NW-ZX300? Since I also have the same problem...

Feb 28, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #12,716 of 12,862
Echoing nc800 here, I hope they get here soon! Since I don't use streaming I'd love a simple player with good SQ, battery and no Android shenanigans, just pure music. The ZX300 is the closest contender i have seen, even with its own quirks
You don't have to use the Android actively if you don't care about it. As soon you open the Walkman there is nothing more you need

Mar 8, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #12,718 of 12,862
Hi guys. Is it possible to filter songs or entire albums by format? I want to filter all my dsd on my library but haven’t found any option that allow me to do that.
No. The closest you can get is the HiRes option on the home screen.

My Auralic streamer via the Lightning app can do it

CE6D8FE8-5A69-442A-B3A8-5B93EE4E8518.jpeg

Apr 12, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #12,719 of 12,862
For those of you who have a ZX300...Yes, you can still get OEM Sony batteries from Sony parts directly in the US. They're out of stock at the moment, as I've bought the last ones. But, they say that it'll be restocked at the end of this month. Sony parts (for the consumer) comes via Encompass and the part number is X-2595-744-3. Here's the link to the page: Encompass X-2595-744-3. If you do buy one, please don't hoard them so that everybody can get one...

You'll get the OEM part in the standard Sony parts box:
IMG_20230412_192048673_HDR.jpg

Simply pull the rubber sheet off the back of the player, starting at the BOTTOM, near the WM-PORT. There's a plastic cover there underneath that makes it easy to stuff a spudger underneath. Don't do it from the side, as there's one side that has the NFC flex board and you don't want to accidentally rip that. Then, unscrew the metal cover and plastic plate. There's a T-8 for the cover and a handful of JIS phillips screws. Use a 0 or 00 JIS driver so you don't strip them. Pull the little black plastic cover over the NFC plate, pop the latch on the ribbon socket, and carefully pull the NFC ribbon away. Then, slowly lift the socket off the cover. Use a toothpick or nylon/teflon flat. Once the cover is off, you'll see the following. The new battery will have a protective wrap that keeps the adhesive foil from sticking until you're ready.
IMG_20230412_192028171_HDR.jpg

There's also a plastic shield held by one screw at the top covering the contacts. Remove it too and set the cover pieces aside.
IMG_20230412_192058620_HDR.jpg

Separate the battery from the plastic tray. Do NOT pry up on it as there's a lot of adhesive foil. You can bend the battery, puncture it, or otherwise start a fire. Use dental floss, like Reach (a Teflon floss), and stuff it around the battery. Work the floss until it it starts to "cut" the adhesive. There's a spot near the microSD slot that has no adhesive on the battery, so it's a good place to start. Work from the bottom of the battery towards the wires. You can also add a bit of very high grade isopropanol to the edge you are cutting to soften the adhesive. I'm using a 100ul pipette and dropping reagent grade 99.999% isopropanol in the second picture. You want something that is plastic safe, evaporates quickly, and does not have water in it!
IMG_20230412_193143324_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230412_193257167_HDR.jpg

Eventually, you'll cut through enough of the glue to get the battery loose. You can then use a wood or nylon spudger underneath to push the glue and release the battery. Once loose, cover the adhesive side with something to keep it from sticking back down. A silicone release sheet or plastic film works good if you want to save the battery. Otherwise, use a piece of scrap paper. I'm using a bit of pink static bubble wrap...
IMG_20230412_194025565_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230412_194257742_HDR.jpg

Then, unsolder the old pack - starting with the ground shield foil, and the black (negative) wire. Protect each wire as you remove it from touching something else. Use a real soldering iron, not some hobbyist "woodburning" toy. Since this solder is the lead-free crap, you'll need some heat. Start around 350C with a micro-tip in your handpiece. Once completely unsoldered, simply install the new pack, and solder it all back. Be sure that your solder connections are clean, not cold, and not shorting.

And no, you don't need some special "dehydrated Unicorn urine encapsulated solder". It's solder. Actually, in my case, I'm removing the lead-free crap and replacing with a 63/37 Kester so that the joint will hold up better over time.
ZX300_0001.jpg
ZX300_0002.jpg

Reverse your disassembly, and you're good to go. The battery will have little charge (for storage). You'll need to do a full, uninterrupted charge once this is done for the battery to relearn. Remember, this is a new battery, so it'll take a few full charge cycles to reach full capacity. Be patient. For those with a lot of patience, you could also just run this down until self power off and then charge uninterrupted to full.

The batteries have a date code at the top of the pack, on the back side. The old one of 2018/04/07 and the new one of 2019/12/09. Sony also usually uses letters for revised components, so the "AA" of the original pack vs the "CA" of the new usually denotes 2nd revision:
IMG_20230412_195753134.jpg

Since my old battery still seems good, I'm going to safe it and keep it in case I want/need it in the future. If you do that, cover the exposed conductors with something proper before stowing. I'm using black Kapton so that it won't come back loose. You could always use the tube that came with the new battery or some heat shrink. I don't recommend "electrical tape" as it'll leave a sticky residue and will eventually come off by itself.
IMG_20230412_200211090.jpg

I hope that helps you ZX owners out there who have the tools, time, and want to change your ZX's battery. I'm an electronics engineer, so with a full lab and proper gear, I did this all in 20 mins and that's taking my time.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #12,720 of 12,862
For those of you who have a ZX300...Yes, you can still get OEM Sony batteries from Sony parts directly in the US. They're out of stock at the moment, as I've bought the last ones. But, they say that it'll be restocked at the end of this month. Sony parts (for the consumer) comes via Encompass and the part number is X-2595-744-3. Here's the link to the page: Encompass X-2595-744-3. If you do buy one, please don't hoard them so that everybody can get one...

You'll get the OEM part in the standard Sony parts box:
IMG_20230412_192048673_HDR.jpg

Simply pull the rubber sheet off the back of the player, starting at the BOTTOM, near the WM-PORT. There's a plastic cover there underneath that makes it easy to stuff a spudger underneath. Don't do it from the side, as there's one side that has the NFC flex board and you don't want to accidentally rip that. Then, unscrew the metal cover and plastic plate. There's a T-8 for the cover and a handful of JIS phillips screws. Use a 0 or 00 JIS driver so you don't strip them. Pull the little black plastic cover over the NFC plate, pop the latch on the ribbon socket, and carefully pull the NFC ribbon away. Then, slowly lift the socket off the cover. Use a toothpick or nylon/teflon flat. Once the cover is off, you'll see the following. The new battery will have a protective wrap that keeps the adhesive foil from sticking until you're ready.
IMG_20230412_192028171_HDR.jpg

There's also a plastic shield held by one screw at the top covering the contacts. Remove it too and set the cover pieces aside.
IMG_20230412_192058620_HDR.jpg

Separate the battery from the plastic tray. Do NOT pry up on it as there's a lot of adhesive foil. You can bend the battery, puncture it, or otherwise start a fire. Use dental floss, like Reach (a Teflon floss), and stuff it around the battery. Work the floss until it it starts to "cut" the adhesive. There's a spot near the microSD slot that has no adhesive on the battery, so it's a good place to start. Work from the bottom of the battery towards the wires. You can also add a bit of very high grade isopropanol to the edge you are cutting to soften the adhesive. I'm using a 100ul pipette and dropping reagent grade 99.999% isopropanol in the second picture. You want something that is plastic safe, evaporates quickly, and does not have water in it!
IMG_20230412_193143324_HDR.jpg IMG_20230412_193257167_HDR.jpg

Eventually, you'll cut through enough of the glue to get the battery loose. You can then use a wood or nylon spudger underneath to push the glue and release the battery. Once loose, cover the adhesive side with something to keep it from sticking back down. A silicone release sheet or plastic film works good if you want to save the battery. Otherwise, use a piece of scrap paper. I'm using a bit of pink static bubble wrap...
IMG_20230412_194025565_HDR.jpg IMG_20230412_194257742_HDR.jpg

Then, unsolder the old pack - starting with the ground shield foil, and the black (negative) wire. Protect each wire as you remove it from touching something else. Use a real soldering iron, not some hobbyist "woodburning" toy. Since this solder is the lead-free crap, you'll need some heat. Start around 350C with a micro-tip in your handpiece. Once completely unsoldered, simply install the new pack, and solder it all back. Be sure that your solder connections are clean, not cold, and not shorting.

And no, you don't need some special "dehydrated Unicorn urine encapsulated solder". It's solder. Actually, in my case, I'm removing the lead-free crap and replacing with a 63/37 Kester so that the joint will hold up better over time.
ZX300_0001.jpg ZX300_0002.jpg

Reverse your disassembly, and you're good to go. The battery will have little charge (for storage). You'll need to do a full, uninterrupted charge once this is done for the battery to relearn. Remember, this is a new battery, so it'll take a few full charge cycles to reach full capacity. Be patient. For those with a lot of patience, you could also just run this down until self power off and then charge uninterrupted to full.

The batteries have a date code at the top of the pack, on the back side. The old one of 2018/04/07 and the new one of 2019/12/09. Sony also usually uses letters for revised components, so the "AA" of the original pack vs the "CA" of the new usually denotes 2nd revision:
IMG_20230412_195753134.jpg

Since my old battery still seems good, I'm going to safe it and keep it in case I want/need it in the future. If you do that, cover the exposed conductors with something proper before stowing. I'm using black Kapton so that it won't come back loose. You could always use the tube that came with the new battery or some heat shrink. I don't recommend "electrical tape" as it'll leave a sticky residue and will eventually come off by itself.
IMG_20230412_200211090.jpg

I hope that helps you ZX owners out there who have the tools, time, and want to change your ZX's battery. I'm an electronics engineer, so with a full lab and proper gear, I did this all in 20 mins and that's taking my time.
Many thanks for your information, that is one of many things I love about Sony, can easily get the genuine parts for self-service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back