Sony NW-ZX300
Nov 10, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #11,852 of 12,862
Hey guys. Just got my Zx300 a few days ago. It’s my first portable player after so many years besides my iPod. Any tips and recommendations to get the most out of the zx300?
And get a balanced cable if you already haven't

Nov 10, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #11,853 of 12,862
Hey guys. Just got my Zx300 a few days ago. It’s my first portable player after so many years besides my iPod. Any tips and recommendations to get the most out of the zx300?

I'd recommend you to install Mr. Walkman's custom firmware.
Pretty much risk-free and reversible.
I believe he'll be posting a new one for ZX300 fairly soon, so keep an eye out for that :)

Nov 10, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #11,854 of 12,862

New or used? Burn it in for at least a hundred hours on both output (if you believe in burn in). Familiarize yourself with the sound of stock firmware then try @MrWalkman's custom firmware. Choose from either the ZX300++ or the DMP-300 firmwares on which one you will like. Both of them sounds quite different from stock. There's a newer firmware on the horizon that @MrWalkman is still working on.

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #11,855 of 12,862
Please con someone help me with a problem I get with the ZX300, and library listings?

It might be how I have the ZX300 set, but I don't think so. The problem is that albums by an artist with other artists featured, gets messed up.

E.g. the Dido album called Safe Trip Home features an artist called Citizen Cope on track ten. The ZX300 messes that right up.

I get one album listing under Dido with all tracks but that one track with Citizen Cope.

Then I get another album listing in the library under Citizen Cope, with that one track.

What a mess. Is it me please that has it set wrong? I have to set it by Artist then album. There is no other way that I know of.

Nov 12, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #11,856 of 12,862
Nov 12, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #11,858 of 12,862
Please con someone help me with a problem I get with the ZX300, and library listings?

It might be how I have the ZX300 set, but I don't think so. The problem is that albums by an artist with other artists featured, gets messed up.

E.g. the Dido album called Safe Trip Home features an artist called Citizen Cope on track ten. The ZX300 messes that right up.
es
I get one album listing under Dido with all tracks but that one track with Citizen Cope.

Then I get another album listing in the library under Citizen Cope, with that one track.

What a mess. Is it me please that has it set wrong? I have to set it by Artist then album. There is no other way that I know of.

If you’d like to go to the effort to solve this issue, a tag editor for your music files will allow you to enter the main artist under the “Album Artist” tag. This would remedy your problem, but depending on the size of your music library, it may be a lot of work.

Nov 12, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #11,859 of 12,862
New or used? Burn it in for at least a hundred hours on both output (if you believe in burn in). Familiarize yourself with the sound of stock firmware then try @MrWalkman's custom firmware. Choose from either the ZX300++ or the DMP-300 firmwares on which one you will like. Both of them sounds quite different from stock. There's a newer firmware on the horizon that @MrWalkman is still working on.

I bought used. It has 120hours of play time. How do I know how much are on balanced or single ended?

I've already installed the software and to be honest didn't notice much diference, but I almost didn't try the stock sound.

However I installed the DMP-300. Where is the ZX300++ available? It's not on the website.

And get a balanced cable if you already haven't

I did order some balanced cables on this 11.11 sale. Lets see the difference.

Also, what kind of screen protectores do you guys recommend? The one I got came with one preinstalled but it's already badly scratched.

Nov 13, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #11,861 of 12,862
If you’d like to go to the effort to solve this issue, a tag editor for your music files will allow you to enter the main artist under the “Album Artist” tag. This would remedy your problem, but depending on the size of your music library, it may be a lot of work.

Yes I got put on to MP3tag, but it doesn't always work. Plus I would refer if the Zx300 worked by itself. I mean it had metadata so it should know what album is what. It should know which tracks belong on which album. Not separate tracks with featured artists and make new albums with them in the library.

Am so sort of fed up with it that I am thinking of buying another DAP. There are albums that I can not put on my ZX300, and that is not right.

Nov 13, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #11,862 of 12,862
Yes I got put on to MP3tag, but it doesn't always work. Plus I would refer if the Zx300 worked by itself. I mean it had metadata so it should know what album is what. It should know which tracks belong on which album. Not separate tracks with featured artists and make new albums with them in the library.

Am so sort of fed up with it that I am thinking of buying another DAP. There are albums that I can not put on my ZX300, and that is not right.
AFAIK it’s not a player problem but the way you got the metadata on your files. In struggled with it with the zx300 and I’m using audirvana to manage my library and audirvana does the same. I’m using metadatics to adjust all my files the way it should be.
Also you can go into playback settings and choose organize by álbum artist or song artist.

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #11,863 of 12,862
AFAIK it’s not a player problem but the way you got the metadata on your files. In struggled with it with the zx300 and I’m using audirvana to manage my library and audirvana does the same. I’m using metadatics to adjust all my files the way it should be.
Also you can go into playback settings and choose organize by álbum artist or song artist.
So for the ZX300 it always work? I mean when you have an album with artist A and album name B, but album contains track of random artists, when "album artist" tag is filled with A value (and "artist" filled randomly) it should be available in player database as artist A and album B, not as individual track/artist from album B?

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #11,864 of 12,862

Hmm, that sounds like it has potential. … I think it has worked. I had a stray track by George Michael in my library, which belonged to a Queen album. It has also tidied up the Dido album that I had issue with. I will put the Tinariwen album called Amadjar back on my ZX300 and see if it works. At the moment I am confident it will work.

Thank you. :smile_phones:

Nov 13, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #11,865 of 12,862
Hmm, that sounds like it has potential. … I think it has worked. I had a stray track by George Michael in my library, which belonged to a Queen album. It has also tidied up the Dido album that I had issue with. I will put the Tinariwen album called Amadjar back on my ZX300 and see if it works. At the moment I am confident it will work.

Thank you. :smile_phones:

No worries. It’s my first week with this fantastic player and I’m also discovering its features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back