Sony NW-ZX300
Oct 8, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #10,681 of 12,862
Smartphones have come a long way and I can sometimes for a quick listen enjoy the output of my S10 using my XBA-N3 - not too bad, but when I listen to my ZX300 there are recognisable improvements in soundstaging, clarity and detail across the frequencies. It may depend on the earphones they are using, for example the S10's supplied AKG are not bad but also not a match for a higher end iem and may not be able to represent those improvements.
Perhaps it comes down to how you listen to your music - some people are happy to just hear the song, I listen to the music, and I listen at a deeper level to the quality of the music, appreciating the clarity and texture and details. My listening is mostly at home so it is fairly quiet, if you listen mostly while commuting in a noisy environment you may not be able to fully take advantage of those benefits.
So a decent phone output may satisfy some, whereas others may really appreciate improvements that a higher end device may provide like a lot of us on Headfi.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #10,682 of 12,862
I've asked people on discord to compare their zx300 with other players and some say it's just a small difference from their smart phone. Is it really night and day from an A17? I have my doubts. I wonder if it's worth $300 upgrade.
Also I have a MDR1AM2 which are pretty consumer level, I wonder if I would have to upgrade these to really get the full potential of a zx300. I do have a balanced cable that came with it though.
Have you asked on the MDR1AM2 thread about other owner's experience with higher output improvements over lower output devices?
I tried them in Japan and would have happily settled for them had I not been spoilt by a higher end sound and had the finances to go higher.
How do you find the bass out of your A17? typically the most common improvement with a more powerful output is a tighter punchy bass (not less), and possibly more texture to it.

Oct 8, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #10,683 of 12,862
the discord was an audiophile one. they seemed elitist so i don't really care what i read there.

to be honest I expect the bass to sound better with the mdr1am2. it could be the a17's problem. also, many songs i just leave it 30 volume which is max. That could be a problem as well.

I'll prob make the upgrade to the zx300 if I can find one for 300-350$usd used and call it a day, for a long long time. I can be extremely picky with sound details but for now i don't want anything more than a mdr1am2 it's a versatile headphone and i don't want to collect many so hopefully the zx300 will pair with it nicely without more to be desired.

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #10,684 of 12,862
the discord was an audiophile one. they seemed elitist so i don't really care what i read there.

to be honest I expect the bass to sound better with the mdr1am2. it could be the a17's problem. also, many songs i just leave it 30 volume which is max. That could be a problem as well.

I'll prob make the upgrade to the zx300 if I can find one for 300-350$usd used and call it a day, for a long long time. I can be extremely picky with sound details but for now i don't want anything more than a mdr1am2 it's a versatile headphone and i don't want to collect many so hopefully the zx300 will pair with it nicely without more to be desired.
I've read good feedback on this thread about the pairing, also Sony products generally match well. It is possible to gain improvements by getting an amp/dac for your phone but it is an added size and weight factor, the ZX300 is a tidy little package that can be used as a dac also adding value if you were to use with your pc.
Just a side note, going for flac files over mp3 can give you an improvement. I don't want to get shot down by the people who say there is no difference between 320 mp3 files and flac but I find with the ZX300 and the iems I use I can hear a slight improvement, and if your spending money on high end gear why not.

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #10,686 of 12,862
is the zx500 better than the zx300 in every category? if not, which? was in the market for a used zx300 until I saw the zx500, now I have to think.
We'll have to wait and see when it's released what the opinion on the sound is compared to the ZX300, otherwise I think it may come down to whether your preference is for the straightforward Sony user interface or an android based os and if the streaming features are what you use. From memory I think the ZX300's battery life may exceed the ZX500? Sometimes any advertised improvements to the components don't directly result in a noticeable improvement in sound, we'll have to hear what people have to say when it's released. The cost of a new ZX500 will be a lot more than a used ZX300, but it depends on your use.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #10,687 of 12,862
We'll have to wait and see when it's released what the opinion on the sound is compared to the ZX300, otherwise I think it may come down to whether your preference is for the straightforward Sony user interface or an android based os and if the streaming features are what you use. From memory I think the ZX300's battery life may exceed the ZX500? Sometimes any improvements to the components don't directly result in a noticeable improvement in sound, we'll have to hear what people have to say when it's released. The cost of a new ZX500 will be a lot more than a used ZX300, but it depends on your use.

ZX300 wallops the ZX500's battery life - 30hrs for MP3 128kbps vs 20hrs for the ZX500.

That's a real shame - wish they shoved a huge battery in the ZX500 so I can justify buying the new one!

Oct 9, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #10,689 of 12,862
Damn! I just got one on eBay for $350 but the 64gb version with the official Sony OEM leather case, also a great deal. But I would have bought yours if I saw it earlier.

Which settings to turn on if any (clearaudio+, etc) for the zx300?

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #10,690 of 12,862
Damn! I just got one on eBay for $350 but the 64gb version with the official Sony OEM leather case, also a great deal. But I would have bought yours if I saw it earlier.

Which settings to turn on if any (clearaudio+, etc) for the zx300?
That was a damn good deal.

Was gonna actually PM you this afternoon but decided to wait til I made an actual post.

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #10,692 of 12,862
What settings should be set on/off for the zx300? DSEE HX, Clearaudio (not sure if there is), etc? I don't really know what these things do so need a cheat sheet for ideal listening. All my files will be flac.

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #10,693 of 12,862
What settings should be set on/off for the zx300? DSEE HX, Clearaudio (not sure if there is), etc? I don't really know what these things do so need a cheat sheet for ideal listening. All my files will be flac.
IMO you should start with everything off ... direct source: On

Oct 9, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #10,694 of 12,862
IMO you should start with everything off ... direct source: On
Agree.. Start off with DIRECT SOURCE: ON.. But if you are playing mp3, better switch on DSEE-HX to get bit of upscaling on the higher frequencies.. For DSD or FLAC (most of them) files, everything OFF (ie no EQ, vinyl processor, etc) should be just fine especially when using 4.4mm balanced port..

Oct 9, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #10,695 of 12,862
Pono Player is more natural and brighter sounding, Sony is warmer (some say a bit ´dull´, and doesnt have the sparkle of the Class A amp of the Pono. Kick drum hits harder

Gotta second this. Just realized while a/b testing with some sony's n3, just got a balanced cable for them so i started comparing several things and... wouldn't you know, the lack of sparkle is on the zx300 itself, always thought it was the n3s (my previous iems where really treble oriented, so i didn't notice before). Good thing about that tho? it's not a huge lack of sparkle (can be compensated a bit with the eq), and it's definitely less tiring, i can listen for hours without getting "exhausted" like i do with other sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back