Sony NW-ZX300
Oct 4, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #10,653 of 12,862
Hi
I just joined the club. My ZX300A from Joybuy arrived today. Took 21 days but worth the wait. I used the time to make a balance cable for my iSine20. It has about 5 hours on it right now and I can hear a little change in the sound. I don't know if that is the player or the brand new cable.

Coming the Questyle QP1R, the Sony UI is just heavenly. I love the sound quality and power of the QP1R but the UI seems to have come from a $20 mp3 player.

I have plans to do @Whitigir 's cable mod on it soon.
Can you please compare sony and questyle only in regards of sound quality?

Oct 5, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #10,654 of 12,862
What is the SQ improvement from the Sony A17 to the ZX300 using the balanced cable?

My setup is the A17 + MDR-1AM2, all flac files and am only interested in the SQ difference (ie touch screen etc is not important to me). My headphone volume is also fine with the A17.

in the meantime I'll look in this entire thread for comparisons...

Oct 5, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #10,655 of 12,862
What is the SQ improvement from the Sony A17 to the ZX300 using the balanced cable?

My setup is the A17 + MDR-1AM2, all flac files and am only interested in the SQ difference (ie touch screen etc is not important to me). My headphone volume is also fine with the A17.

in the meantime I'll look in this entire thread for comparisons...

In my opinion, the difference is huge in power and sound. I went from an A17 to a ZX300 and couldn't be happier. As it should be for the price difference.
My A17 blew away my iPod. The ZX300 blew away my A17. I think from here I will be looking at the law of dimishing returns.

Shane D

Oct 5, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #10,656 of 12,862
In my opinion, the difference is huge in power and sound. I went from an A17 to a ZX300 and couldn't be happier. As it should be for the price difference.
My A17 blew away my iPod. The ZX300 blew away my A17. I think from here I will be looking at the law of dimishing returns.

Shane D
I thought my A15(17) sounded awesome as I could now go all flac and happily stepped up to the sound of the ZX100, and again was very satisfied with the improvements moving on to the ZX300 more powerful balanced output.
Some people's ears or brains maybe aren't able to tell the differences between formats and gear etc, but if you are, you'll be able to enjoy improvements in clarity, details, separation, soundstage making it a worthy spend - like Shane D said from there upward$ you may not get as much improvement for your money.

Oct 6, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #10,657 of 12,862
I finally got around to using my ZX300 with a balanced cable. It's only an £18 **** from amazon.

There is a change in sound. It seems a touch louder. The cable is silver plater copper, and it does seem a bit tonally lighter for that on my AKG N40. I can't say it's the major upgrade that everyone mentions, but it's very early days yet. Like only a very few hours burn-in on the balanced output.

I thought I could better A-B the sound from SE N40 and balanced N40, if the ZX300 could run both channels. It's unlikely though, and the ZX300 might not have enough power. Shame as I have two pairs of N40 that I could compare with.

I do think I might prefer the balanced output though.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #10,658 of 12,862
I find the sound out of balanced a little cleaner and a little fuller, even after volume matching.
I bought two different cables, one from KK and one from Sukira. When you A-B test them the more expensive (Sukira) is just a touch better.

IMO, the balanced function is certainly worth spending $100.00 on a cable. It is not night and day, but it is noticeable. And since you paid for the function, you should use it.

Balanced ZX300 vs an NWZ-A17 is a night and day difference though.

Shane D

Oct 6, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #10,659 of 12,862
I find the sound out of balanced a little cleaner and a little fuller, even after volume matching.
I bought two different cables, one from KK and one from Sukira. When you A-B test them the more expensive (Sukira) is just a touch better.

IMO, the balanced function is certainly worth spending $100.00 on a cable. It is not night and day, but it is noticeable. And since you paid for the function, you should use it.

Balanced ZX300 vs an NWZ-A17 is a night and day difference though.

Shane D

I just did an A-B between balanced and SE. (I have two sets of AKG N40, so it's easy.)

I found one aspect that you say about the balanced is right. The sound does somehow appear a little cleaner. However it's strange because I would naturally assume that would be sound I preferred. Whereas at the moment I could not choose which I like best. The SE sounds just that bit more dynamic and punchy. Although it can also sound a touch heavy with it following the Harman curve; with slight bass elevation.

I think the balanced sound which I have is probably the more natural. I can't help wondering if the transients are just that bit punchier with SE though. However that makes no sense. Unless the cable with it being silver plated has lightened the sound.

The bottom line issue for me though is two-fold, and it's far too early to judge. Firstly the balanced port has barely any time on it. Secondly the balanced driver has hardly any time on it either. I think it's a separate driver to the SE driver, but I don't know. Maybe the drivers can be run both balanced and SE. I never looked into that.

I am sure that the N5005 is a five driver IEM, and I think that means separate balanced and SE drivers. That is where my logic comes from for the N40.

Anyway it means it's not fair to judge the ZX300 balanced yet. I do however feel I will just leave the N40 on the balanced cable from now on. I don't think the balanced cable is holding back the N40, compares the other original AKG SE cable.

Oct 6, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #10,660 of 12,862
I just did an A-B between balanced and SE. (I have two sets of AKG N40, so it's easy.)

I found one aspect that you say about the balanced is right. The sound does somehow appear a little cleaner. However it's strange because I would naturally assume that would be sound I preferred. Whereas at the moment I could not choose which I like best. The SE sounds just that bit more dynamic and punchy. Although it can also sound a touch heavy with it following the Harman curve; with slight bass elevation.

I think the balanced sound which I have is probably the more natural. I can't help wondering if the transients are just that bit punchier with SE though. However that makes no sense. Unless the cable with it being silver plated has lightened the sound.

The bottom line issue for me though is two-fold, and it's far too early to judge. Firstly the balanced port has barely any time on it. Secondly the balanced driver has hardly any time on it either. I think it's a separate driver to the SE driver, but I don't know. Maybe the drivers can be run both balanced and SE. I never looked into that.

I am sure that the N5005 is a five driver IEM, and I think that means separate balanced and SE drivers. That is where my logic comes from for the N40.

Anyway it means it's not fair to judge the ZX300 balanced yet. I do however feel I will just leave the N40 on the balanced cable from now on. I don't think the balanced cable is holding back the N40, compares the other original AKG SE cable.

I don't listen loudly, so balanced in low gain was always my choice. Except, that I prefered my Grado's and my Meze 99 Classic's via the SE in low gain. Maybe because they are super easy to drive.

And in 2019 I don't use either. DAP to DAC to amps to headphones.

Shane D

Oct 6, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #10,661 of 12,862
Yeah I use DACS at home, but DAP to DAC is too much for out and about for me. One unit solution is all I want. I am however considering the Poly at the moment since it's now an option. They have released firmware version 2 for it, and it's become more user friendly. There also a paid for app that apparently is running the Poly smooth as silk.

If I bought the Poly, then my ZX300 would mostly become redundant. Unless one day I needed long battery life.

However all in all, I find the ZX300 very pleasant on balanced or SE with N40. With the N5005 on SE the ZX300 is special. I imagine balanced would be ever better. My N5005 are for home use though, so I don't use them much at all on my ZX300.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #10,662 of 12,862
Yeah I use DACS at home, but DAP to DAC is too much for out and about for me. One unit solution is all I want. I am however considering the Poly at the moment since they have released firmware version 2. There also a paid for app that apparently is running the Poly smooth as silk.

If I bought the Poly, then my ZX300 would mostly become redundant. Unless one day I needed long battery life.

However all in all, I find the ZX300 very pleasant on balanced or SE with N40. With the N5005 on SE the ZX300 is special. I imagine balanced would be ever better. My N5005 are for home use though, so I don't use them much at all on my ZX300.

I was a Samsung guy for many years. Two years ago I changed to LG to get the V30. It is a Great phone for sound. That is my out and about source. Hooked to my Meze 99 Classic's is a Great combo. Ideal for taking to work or sitting at Motor Vehicles.
My DAP never leaves the house.

Shane D

Oct 6, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #10,663 of 12,862

What do you mean? Also i would suggest you burn n the balanced port for at least 200 hours, Sony themselves recommend it!

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #10,664 of 12,862
There are people who scoff at the idea of burn in - personally I don't care for the arguments, if my mind fools me that something sounds better, excellent! If it's for real, excellent!
My proof of the burn in improvements was when I first got my ZX300 I tried some iems that were a step up from the ones I had but had the same general signature - they sounded really flat and the bass was dull, 6 months and 200+ hours later I tried them again and they sounded very different, as I was expecting them to.

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #10,665 of 12,862
There's even people saying that speakers need to be warmed up every time you play them. Like they get better after running for about ten minutes. I suppose it must be something to do with the edges of the drivers getting warmed and more flexible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back