Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 11, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #6,076 of 12,862
Confirmed on one Japan bought model and two UK bought models so far I think, so seems to be generic. It was just the original poster noticed the option while playing with their Japan model before changing the region to get English.

My play count is intact, just seemed to reset any menu options you have changed and clears any BT devices you paired, playlists still there but can't remember if I'd used the bookmark feature so not sure if that remains.
good to know thank you

Just to confirm this, mine is UK. Although I don't use playlists often it's nice to have the ability to create them and the naming of them is much handier than trying to remember which bookmark list I might have added things to. Still find it a bit bizarre it's only available on the Japan region but maybe it'll get rolled out to the others in future firmware.

Some early thoughts:

- Absolutely love the sound and the DAC ability, it has proved to be a great pairing with my old Z1 Compact running Tidal. Certainly a step above having a DAP running an older Android than my 4 year old phone, hammering the battery with wifi and processes etc. The Z1 is just used for Tidal + Subsonic, has 128gb mainly used for mp3 mixes and radio shows too and is practically the same size as the ZX300 which is good for portability.

- The size is perfect for me and the build is really impressive, it feels like a device that costs £500 which is nice!

- The battery life has impressed me so far, I normally have Bluetooth + NFC off, volumes between 50 - 80 with High Gain out of the 3.5mm. One full charge on Monday night and still showing full with a good few hours put in. It will be interesting when I begin to copy over a lot of my CDs in FLAC. I plan to get a 400gb card but will use a 256gb in the mean time, just slightly wary how slow the database scans will be with a very full 400gb - will report back when I get to that point.

- It's great to have the sound enhancement options, I've had a play and the EQ gives a nice range of flexibility but I've been pleasantly surprised that I really haven't needed, the sound so far has been great via direct.

I ordered the basic £4 silicone case which I think comes with the plugs which will be handy, later in the year I will trial the N3AP and get a 4.4mm cable and the official case from Accessory Jack I think. I will also buy a WMC-NWH10 cable at some point as that will come in useful I think.

Two things I'd like:

1) Sony to sort the jpg cover issues, I will currently have to run through a fair few of my collection I think to re-save those in Photoshop which is more than a bit annoying. I'm still seeing if I can find a way to automate it before embarking on that one.

2) Sony to put me on their User Testing list to trial a 750gb / 1tb micro sd card that they've kept secret until now :o2smile:

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #6,077 of 12,862
Just to confirm this, mine is UK. Although I don't use playlists often it's nice to have the ability to create them and the naming of them is much handier than trying to remember which bookmark list I might have added things to. Still find it a bit bizarre it's only available on the Japan region but maybe it'll get rolled out to the others in future firmware.

Some early thoughts:

- Absolutely love the sound and the DAC ability, it has proved to be a great pairing with my old Z1 Compact running Tidal. Certainly a step above having a DAP running an older Android than my 4 year old phone, hammering the battery with wifi and processes etc. The Z1 is just used for Tidal + Subsonic, has 128gb mainly used for mp3 mixes and radio shows too and is practically the same size as the ZX300 which is good for portability.

- The size is perfect for me and the build is really impressive, it feels like a device that costs £500 which is nice!

- The battery life has impressed me so far, I normally have Bluetooth + NFC off, volumes between 50 - 80 with High Gain out of the 3.5mm. One full charge on Monday night and still showing full with a good few hours put in. It will be interesting when I begin to copy over a lot of my CDs in FLAC. I plan to get a 400gb card but will use a 256gb in the mean time, just slightly wary how slow the database scans will be with a very full 400gb - will report back when I get to that point.

- It's great to have the sound enhancement options, I've had a play and the EQ gives a nice range of flexibility but I've been pleasantly surprised that I really haven't needed, the sound so far has been great via direct.

I ordered the basic £4 silicone case which I think comes with the plugs which will be handy, later in the year I will trial the N3AP and get a 4.4mm cable and the official case from Accessory Jack I think. I will also buy a WMC-NWH10 cable at some point as that will come in useful I think.

Two things I'd like:

1) Sony to sort the jpg cover issues, I will currently have to run through a fair few of my collection I think to re-save those in Photoshop which is more than a bit annoying. I'm still seeing if I can find a way to automate it before embarking on that one.

2) Sony to put me on their User Testing list to trial a 750gb / 1tb micro sd card that they've kept secret until now :o2smile:
I've recently had issues with album art - I switched to Tagscanner and used the resize feature (which actually saves as original size 500X500 or 600X600) and all album art now displays perfectly, and may even be a bit faster - you could try that.

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #6,078 of 12,862
www.fujiya-avic.jp

Has anyone had experience ordering from here?
I want to buy some secondhand earphones I tried in Japan, sadly e*earphone doesn't ship internationally and using a buying service seems a bit too messy.

Apr 11, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #6,079 of 12,862
www.fujiya-avic.jp

Has anyone had experience ordering from here?
I want to buy some secondhand earphones I tried in Japan, sadly e*earphone doesn't ship internationally and using a buying service seems a bit too messy.

They don't ship oversea either
And fujiya avic don't accept online credit card payment.

I recommend you to use "add to buyee" service on e-earphone if you don't know Japanese. Very easy to use

https://buyee.jp/addtobuyee/index?lang=en

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #6,081 of 12,862
While saying shipping oversea means the shop ship directly to you, not via a buying agent.

The worldshipping appointed by Fujiya works the same as other buying agent as Buyee
worldshipping take you order and purchase the item at Fujiya
Fujiya ship to worldshipping's warehouse then worldshipping forward the package to you

Fujiya still don't ship oversea

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #6,083 of 12,862
While saying shipping oversea means the shop ship directly to you, not via a buying agent.

The worldshipping appointed by Fujiya works the same as other buying agent as Buyee
worldshipping take you order and purchase the item at Fujiya
Fujiya ship to worldshipping's warehouse then worldshipping forward the package to you

Fujiya still don't ship oversea
OK I was just pointing out that it comes up as an automatic option on their website, at a cost. I said it was a proxy. Your post gave the impression it was not possible to buy from them from overseas.

Apr 11, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #6,086 of 12,862
Can someone please post the rockbox instructions again, and to be clear you need to set it to Japanese then tourist to get all the features?
I changed mine from CEW2 to E first to check the volume limit lifted ok as that was the main thing I was interested in - my language was already on English. Checked the playlists and had no 'Create' option but could add bookmarks as expected.

Later on I swapped from E to J and then I could create playlists as the screen grabs showed. Language stayed as English which was the main fear I had. Can't comment about the playback hours stuff as I forgot to check that before doing it (to be fair I would have had 2 - 3 hours max!) but I did have to go through and set things like turn off Bluetooth + NFC again after doing it.

Apr 11, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #6,087 of 12,862
Apr 11, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #6,089 of 12,862
Correct, I'm currently using that to connect my 1Z to a Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/AMP.

So I can output DSD to an external iFi micro iDSD DAC and connect this to my main system preamp? Which should give me great sound quality?

If this works connecting to an iFi Micro iDSD dac and then connecting it to my main preamp stereo
In theory then I don't need a hi-end ZX300 ($600+) since the external dac is doing all the decoding of DSD files, I can use the cheaper nwa45 ($200+) as just a source. Would this be correct thinking?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #6,090 of 12,862
So I can output DSD to an external iFi micro iDSD DAC and connect this to my main system preamp? Which should give me great sound quality?

If this works connecting to an iFi Micro iDSD dac and then connecting it to my main preamp stereo
In theory then I don't need a hi-end ZX300 ($600+) since the external dac is doing all the decoding of DSD files, I can use the cheaper nwa45 ($200+) as just a source. Would this be correct thinking?
Absolutely, an emphatic yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back