Sony NW-ZX300
Mar 17, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #5,656 of 12,862
96B57792-626F-42B9-913B-A1FC1B2ED9ED-511-000000ACE89ACC98.jpeg
Looks like Fiio's joining the 4.4 club. Their new amp module for X7ii

https://mobile.twitter.com/potafes/status/974856957847719936

Mar 17, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #5,657 of 12,862
Mar 17, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #5,658 of 12,862
Nice to know that the reviewer rates both highly. personally I've not felt I need more bass with the T8's, maybe a little extra sub-bass but that could be down to the recordings I listen to.
These are highly accurate and clear. I just can't get on with the supplied oval shaped tips.
Those tips are not for everyone. I haven't heard the T8 but yes Xelento does sound exquisite with decent amount of sub bass. However i think i would still get after market cables and use different tips.

Mar 18, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #5,660 of 12,862
Just tested a bunch in Tokyo today.

Sennheiser IE800s (Balanced): Pretty disappointing given the price. I felt it sounded unengaging and hollow.

Sennheiser HD660S (Balanced): Hard to tell due to noise. Seems like the ZX300 can drive it pretty decently but it reminded me of why I don’t like open ear cans.

Sony XBA-N3BP (Balanced): Super impressed by the sound to price ratio. The sound was engaging with highs, miss and lows interspersed gracefully. I felt it was more engaging than my CIEMs.

Sony XBA-Z5 (SE): They sounded very slightly cleaner than the N3s despite being driven by the SE output. However getting it in position was a nightmare.

Sony MDR-1AM2 (Balanced): I didn’t hear a noticeable difference from the MDR-1BTMK2 that I have. Build quality feels cheap due to the plastic construction. Overall disappointing.

Campfire Andromeda (SE): I can see what the big fuss is about here. They are a clear step up from the Sony N3s. However, they are not 6x better, so not commensurate with the price for me. Getting the seal right was also an issue.

I ended up walking away with the Sony N3BPs for JPY 25,157 (US$237).

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #5,661 of 12,862
Okay. This is a weird one. But I swear, I know what Im hearing. It's its not right. I just downloaded my library to my new memory sandisk 200gb card. Everything went well. I formated the card in the zx-300 I used the finder in mac and transferred the folders I wanted over. Now- What I cant recognize the music!!!!! Its all in a different key! This pitch has been shifted up!! Its the strangest thing. The sound quality is fine, but the music is literally in a higher key. I am NOT a happy camper. I cant listen to this. Its very noticeable. Perhaps if I was tone deaf I wouldn't notice, and someone else may not hear it, but its quite noticeable to me. Im serious, I can't listen to the music like this. Anyone have any thoughts? I googled this, and apparently this does happen due to importing in DAW's and not having the right sampling rate, but the sample rates are matching on both ends. Im at a loss and annoyed.

Mar 18, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #5,662 of 12,862
Has anyone tried the XBA-Z5 on balanced on the ZX300? Does it keep its magic?
Also the Z5 comes with a balanced cable, albeit a dual 3.5mm as I undertsand, can you get a dual 3.5mm female to 4.4mm adaptor?
I don't own them - I have the A3 which are slightly different. I tried the Z5 balanced out of my new ZX300 which had only a couple of hours on it - compared to unbalanced I felt it still had the same characteristics but the bass was tighter (not less). I don't have enough experience with them to offer any more than that.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #5,663 of 12,862
Dont, the cable is really ****ty and not replacable. Its so freaking microphonic.
I take good care of my headphones, so not an issue for me. My current IEM's should have very crappy cables too, yet in my hands they're still as good as new =)

And as for the cable noise: not an issue for me either. I've long since managed to reduce cale noise to an absolute minimum. (tip: you just got to secure it under zip-up clothing to neutralize cable noise and leave ample cable at the neck area as to allow for head movements.)

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #5,664 of 12,862
So has anyone tried the ZX300 together with the WI-1000X wireless IEM's? I'm considering them for usage in the car as they have a noise reduction mode where they still allow the wearer to hear important sounds. I'd like to use headphones while driving, but generally that's just an unsafe idea, hence why I'm looking at these.

Mar 18, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #5,665 of 12,862
Oh, and I've walked the 'fool's path' btw @abitdeef . The remote for the ZX300 should sit in my mail box by tuesday =)

I've gotten away with a scare two times, where Ialmost dropped my ZX300 on concrete and another when I was walking with the ZX300 in my hand when all of a sudden the heaven's gates unleashed their floods =). The remote will come in handy

Mar 18, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #5,666 of 12,862
Just tested a bunch in Tokyo today.

Sony MDR-1AB2 (Balanced): I didn’t hear a noticeable difference from the MDR-1BTMK2 that I have. Build quality feels cheap due to the plastic construction. Overall disappointing.

Someone can correct me if wrong, but I don't think there is a model by this designation. Were you speaking of the MDR-1ABP, which is the 1A with an included 4.4 balanced plug? Or did you listen to the MDR-1AM2, which is a new revision to the series that just came out? The plastic construction you mention is a double-edged sword, since it may make the headphone feel insubstantial to you, but is the key to the 185g total weight. The Campfire Cascade, for example, is impressively constructed of machined aluminum with stainless steel reinforcements. But it weighs more than twice as much. It also costs almost three times as much, and the manufacturer's 4.4 balanced cable will set you back another $350 on top of that. I think I'd rather have the plastic 1AM2 and the plastic HD660s (and still have $350 in my pocket), but the Cascade is nice, no doubt. I'm still thinking about it.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #5,667 of 12,862
Also the Z5 comes with a balanced cable, albeit a dual 3.5mm as I undertsand, can you get a dual 3.5mm female to 4.4mm adaptor?

I have yet to listen to the Z5 and ZX300 with 4.4mm .....but I do use the Z5 with the Sony 1Z in 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced mode. I would guess it will still be a massive improvement. There is no plug that I know of to go from the included Sony 2X 3.5mm balanced to 4.4mm.

Another way is to get the $100 Mee adaptation system ( that’s what I use). Also just recently there has been a bunch of low cost 4.4mm to MMCX cables hit the market. $29-$38-$55 cables, though not sure about their sound quality or build quality.

Links:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/4-4mm-Upgrad...Shure-MMCX-Connectors-Universal-/182918214990

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B2Q5J9D/ref=sspa_mw_detail_3?psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077SKV2YZ/ref=sspa_mw_detail_4?psc=1

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #5,668 of 12,862
I have yet to listen to the Z5 and ZX300 with 4.4mm .....but I do use the Z5 with the Sony 1Z in 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced mode. I would guess it will still be a massive improvement. There is no plug that I know of to go from the included Sony 2X 3.5mm balanced to 4.4mm.

Another way is to get the $100 Mee adaptation system ( that’s what I use). Also just recently there has been a bunch of low cost 4.4mm to MMCX cables hit the market. $29-$38-$55 cables, though not sure about their sound quality or build quality.

Links:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/4-4mm-Upgrad...Shure-MMCX-Connectors-Universal-/182918214990

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B2Q5J9D/ref=sspa_mw_detail_3?psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077SKV2YZ/ref=sspa_mw_detail_4?psc=1

Microphonics is my main concern when buying a 'budget' cable. Any cable for that matter. If it enhances the sound but crackles everytime I move it completely spoils the mood.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #5,669 of 12,862
0826BADA-818C-4846-9130-FE7F39D44628.jpeg
Maybe you were able to get the stock Z5 cables to work for you? They didn’t work well for me nor offer 4.4mm connection. Also the Z5 offers no use out and about due to poor isolation.

Though you may like the Mee system, no microphonics at all. The only issue is a giant plug, which could clip on stuff?

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #5,670 of 12,862
I don't know what you are using your Z5 with but I had always put off upgrading to them because everyone says they require quite alot of power to drive in order to sound great eg the bass can be a bit muddy - I tried quickly from my Samsung S7 and found the bass quite loose and overpowering. Originally I had the ZX100 which has a weak output, so it wasn't until I got the ZX300 that I considered trying the Z5. I think going balanced with the higher output works magic for them according to what other Z5 owners have said. I am still considering them if I can find a pair for a decent price. I got myself the Sony MUC-M12NB1 balanced cable when I was in Japan recently - it does cost a bit to get it shipped to us here in NZ but it would compliment the beauty of your Z5 nicely in looks and sound. I also have the standard upgrade cable, they offer a noticeable improvement over the crappy stock cables.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back