Sony NW-ZX300
Mar 16, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #5,611 of 12,862
Ah that's right the ZX300 can also be used as digital transport, I think that's where people are getting confused.

I can see why it wouldn't count time if used as a digital transport, but is that feature even called DAC mode? The 1A/Z can also do this, they technically don't have "DAC mode".

And to be clear, does the play time increase if using the ZX in DAC mode from a PC? Obviously using the amp section which should count as time played I'd assume.
You are right! However i have noticed when using the zx300 as a DAC from a PC and outputting from the 4.4. balanced or SE out the time is not clocked despite the entire S Master + LPF, including the ftcaps being used.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #5,612 of 12,862
You are right! However i have noticed when using the zx300 as a DAC from a PC and outputting from the 4.4. balanced or SE out the time is not clocked despite the entire S Master + LPF being used.

That's weird, I can't understand why. I thought for a second maybe doesn't count because it's not using the internal memory of the ZX... but then if you're using an SD card you're also not using the internal memory.

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #5,615 of 12,862
Nope... just my ears which have been listening to the same IEM for almost 8 years (Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10)
So not quantifiable, but subjective :) I agree with you, though - I prefer balanced, but I haven't seen any single quantifiable piece of evidence to prove it does anything except reduce noise over extreme distances and output more power.

Mar 16, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #5,616 of 12,862
That's weird, I can't understand why. I thought for a second maybe doesn't count because it's not using the internal memory of the ZX... but then if you're using an SD card you're also not using the internal memory.
It's a play time counter not a making noise counter, you don't press the play button when in DAC mode so that doesn't count but it will (if you count the hours yourself :wink: ) 'count' towards the burn in time if driving headphones at reasonable volume and making noise. :)

Mar 16, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #5,617 of 12,862
Go to settings (suitcase or toolbox looking icon) click or I should say touch 'Settings' scroll all the way down in settings to 'Other' and click on 'Unit information' then you will see 'audio played' towards the bottom right above Bluetooth Device address. It has a running total of your listening time.
Done . Danke schön Abitdeef :wink:

Mar 16, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #5,618 of 12,862
It's a play time counter not a making noise counter, you don't press the play button when in DAC mode so that doesn't count but it will (if you count the hours yourself :wink: ) 'count' towards the burn in time if driving headphones at reasonable volume and making noise. :)

Still though all of the device is being used, bar the internal disk. I just think it would make sense for it to count, or at least have a seperate timer for DAC mode.

Mar 16, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #5,621 of 12,862
By the way, have there been any comparisons between zx300 and zx300a. I mean, can we say for sure that everything, except onboard memory is identical between the two?

I recall people mentioning differences in the gold colour of the outputs.

Mar 16, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #5,624 of 12,862
So not quantifiable, but subjective :) I agree with you, though - I prefer balanced, but I haven't seen any single quantifiable piece of evidence to prove it does anything except reduce noise over extreme distances and output more power.
Call it what you want,...there IS a difference :grimacing:

Mar 16, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #5,625 of 12,862
Playing an album I've heard many times through balanced and I would say the sound is more vibrant than se. This is after 200hrs. SE is very good and nothing to be sneezed at, it's just balanced gives a little more sparkle to the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back