Sony NW-ZX300
Mar 2, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #5,176 of 12,862
Okay. Just found out that direct mode is Not where you want to be, even if you don't engage any of the eq or sampling sound settings. By turning off the direct mode, and still leaving he other settings disengaged as well, you get the best bass response and sound stage. When you put the direct mode on, something negative happens and the bass is lessened, and the stage is also not as decipherable. Instruments loose weight This phenomena seems counterintuitive to what a direct button should do. but that’s what I hear. It’s quite noticeable. Anyone care to check it out and report back? The direct mode seems to do some weird graying out effect to the music. Like there is a phase issue on the bass. You can hear it very much with synthesizers. Try it and I bet you’ll hear it to.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #5,177 of 12,862
Okay. Just found out that direct mode is Not where you want to be, even if you don't engage any of the eq or sampling sound settings. By turning off the direct mode, and still leaving he other settings disengaged as well, you get the best bass response and sound stage. When you put the direct mode on, something negative happens and the bass is lessened, and the stage is also not as decipherable. Instruments loose weight This phenomena seems counterintuitive to what a direct button should do. but that’s what I hear. It’s quite noticeable. Anyone care to check it out and report back? The direct mode seems to do some weird graying out effect to the music. Like there is a phase issue on the bass. You can hear it very much with synthesizers. Try it and I bet you’ll hear it to.
I can believe that, coming from a photography background we work a lot with things called RAW files (basically lossless like FLAC) but they look bad until you process them.

I imagine there's something like that going on: direct FLAC doesn't sound as good as FLAC that has been processed in some way with that awesome Sony sound.

Personally I keep DSEE HX and phase linearizer on at all times but keep volume leveller off. I didn't spend good money on this thing without wanting to hear the benefits of the tools the Sony engineers put in for us :)

Mar 2, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #5,179 of 12,862
I can believe that, coming from a photography background we work a lot with things called RAW files (basically lossless like FLAC) but they look bad until you process them.

I imagine there's something like that going on: direct FLAC doesn't sound as good as FLAC that has been processed in some way with that awesome Sony sound.

Personally I keep DSEE HX and phase linearizer on at all times but keep volume leveller off. I didn't spend good money on this thing without wanting to hear the benefits of the tools the Sony engineers put in for us :)
So there is obviously SOME sort of processing going on in the ZX that is enabled behind the scenes.

Something else is affecting the sound even without the eq, DSEE HX and phase linearizer on. The direct mode has this neutered quality by comparison. It sounds glorious with all sound settings off and direct mode off as well. Who would have thought! My first inclination was to go straight to the direct switch and engage because I tend to be a minimalist audiophile. Make sure you turn of NFC as well cause it also shrinks the sound stage.

Mar 2, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #5,180 of 12,862
So there is obviously SOME sort of processing going on in the ZX that is enabled behind the scenes.

Something else is affecting the sound even without the eq, DSEE HX and phase linearizer on. The direct mode has this neutered quality by comparison. It sounds glorious with all sound settings off and direct mode off as well. Who would have thought! My first inclination was to go straight to the direct switch and engage because I tend to be a minimalist audiophile. Make sure you turn of NFC as well cause it also shrinks the sound stage.
To be honest, for you to hear a digital file - there is 100% some processing involved :wink: what specifically Sony do however is anyone's guess

Mar 2, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #5,181 of 12,862
Ok I said a while ago that when the eq is engaged the sound stage is wider. But things sound slightly off and to me direct sounds better overall. I feel I lose some positional effect of the various instruments and things sound a bit clearer with direct. Very subtle but I can tell especially on percussion- cymbals mostly.

My 2 cents, they both sound good so win, win. Also I don't have many live albums but mine play gapless, except Yes, but that wasn't gapless on any player- maybe because of how it was transcoded/ripped? I obtained that particular Yes live album while I was at sea :wink: ahoy mates! Steady as she goes captn. Load the grape shot you scallywags! Ok I'm done lol

Mar 2, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #5,182 of 12,862

It's software eq and such so yes, I imagine lots of dsp stuff going on in the background. And I'm not a real eq guy but Sony definitely has really nice effects only second to cowon I'd say. For instance the eq on my ak70 really sucked, and the eq on some daps drastically drop the volume when engaged to prevent clipping. Not Sony! :)

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #5,183 of 12,862
To anyone very familiar with the Shure SE846s:
They sound fantastic with the ZX300. I've never used them in balanced mode until I recently bought the Sony cable for the balanced output of the ZX300. For those familiar with the 846s, how much difference does using the "Neutral - balanced" nozzle inserts make? I've always had the "Bright" inserts in there, but I just realized that now that I'm using the iems with a balanced connection for the first time, maybe they'd sound even better with the Neutral-balanced inserts? Am I not even getting true balanced sound out of these without the "Neutral - Balanced" inserts? I don't want to have to take them apart to try them it's not really going to make any difference..

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #5,185 of 12,862
I don't know since I don't own this DAP but does high gain work along with direct mode? could a different gain be the reason why direct on and off sounds different?
Good question. I haven’t ventured into the high gain setting for more than a few min. Found nothing necessary there. With my iems, I don’t find it necessary. It may have something to do with gain. Who knows.

Mar 2, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #5,186 of 12,862
Anybody know a definitive way to tell if your ZX300 is capped? I bought mine in the US, and have not seen any warning screen telling me to turn it down. Is there anything on the serial number or on the sticker on the box that would decifer the region? I’m curious.

Mar 2, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #5,187 of 12,862
Mar 2, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #5,189 of 12,862
Thank you! The sticker on my box says UC top left corner. So I’m assuming it’s United States with some other connotation that is not listed in the rock box list. I’m assuming I’m looking in the right area of the sticker.

Think its uncapped. All US WM1a/z players are uncapped before. Otherwise contact the official sony support.After 3 Days you get a feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back