Sony NW-ZX300
Feb 20, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #4,892 of 12,862
The MDR-1AM2 interview:
http://www.sony.jp/headphone/special/park/products_m1/tech11.html

tl;dr - while the say it's a Mark 2 they've changed the internals quite a bit. Driver unit is newly designed, grill is new, new earpads, new slimmer housing for compactness, new sound tuning etc. Makes me wonder why they don't just give it a new model name.

Looking forward to trying these out. The silver version looks pretty nice.

They've cut the weight down to near nothing - 6.6oz. That makes them lighter than even the MA900. But from some stuff I read in the MDR-1AM2 impressions thread that was accomplished by replacing metal with plastic, which I'm less than thrilled about. I am still interested to see reviews when they hit, though.

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #4,893 of 12,862
They've cut the weight down to near nothing - 6.6oz. That makes them lighter than even the MA900. But from some stuff I read in the MDR-1AM2 impressions thread that was accomplished by replacing metal with plastic, which I'm less than thrilled about. I am still interested to see reviews when they hit, though.
There was already nearly no metall in the 1A but the headband and stuff.

Feb 21, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #4,895 of 12,862
The standard cable that comes with the ZX300 can connect to PC for what you describe. This small L27 cable is more connecting to the likes of Oppo HA2SE I believe.

Thanks, but no it doesn't. The standard cable does not do USB Audio out, I tested it.
With USB Audio you can connect it to a PC like a USB microphone, or at least you can with a USB turntable which has USB audio out.

Said in another way: Is the WMC-NWH10 the same as the FIIO L27?

Or if you have the L27 and a multimeter it would be easy to confirm the pin out.

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #4,896 of 12,862
Here are my thoughts on usability improvements:
  1. XML config file so people can define some preferences without complicating the UI.
  2. The fast forward/scan is slow and jerky, +2 seconds is too short for me, 5 seconds would be preferred.
  3. Album art should support progressive encoding, 95% of my files have embedded art which is progressive. Does anyone know a way to automate an update? Extract > convert > embed?
  4. Ability to create Playlist from the player.
  5. I like the mat screen (looks really nice when off), but I don't like the TFT LCD... poor contrast, light leak and mine has a bright pixel in the center. I'm used to OLED even on my 5yo Cowon J3. So OLED screen or at least IPS.
  6. Titles, Folder/File Names don't scroll. Would be nice if it auto scrolled OR like a Samsung feature it can detect a hover and scroll.
  7. Ability to Add to a Play Queue.
  8. Deleting files from playback. Given the limited capacity, it would be nice to delete a song from either the playback or play queue screens not having to go to library find the file with no search and limited view of file name.
  9. It's a little sluggish.
  10. If metadata/mp3 tag not present don't show "unknown" just leave it blank.
  11. Standby or auto off is buggy; I've left the player over night with ~80% battery only to discover it completely depleted the next day.
Just my opinion. I know some people think the DAP is perfect and others like confirmation of their purchase decision, so this opinion isn't a comparison with other DAPS. The ZX300 could be the best DAP on the Earth today :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #4,897 of 12,862
Thanks, but no it doesn't. The standard cable does not do USB Audio out, I tested it.
With USB Audio you can connect it to a PC like a USB microphone, or at least you can with a USB turntable which has USB audio out.

Said in another way: Is the WMC-NWH10 the same as the FIIO L27?

Or if you have the L27 and a multimeter it would be easy to confirm the pin out.

I'm obviously misunderstanding what your after. You must mean like a line-out, not as a DAC.

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #4,898 of 12,862
I'm obviously misunderstanding what your after. You must mean like a line-out, not as a DAC.
As far as my understand goes the included cable does audio in (obviously) for dac function on the zx300. Both the WMC-NWH10 is the same as the FIIO L27, i.e., it allows for digital audio out for another DAC.

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #4,899 of 12,862
So exited! Bit the bullet and just ordered a ZX300. I'm looking forward to the total inialation of my iPhone 6s in sound quality. I'm currently using my xba-h3 iem's.

The player was expensive enough for me and it seems I'm also going to have to invest in more stuff for it, to get the most out of it. Namely, a 4.4 cable to use the balanced connection with my h3's, a case and a micro sd. I only have mini sd At the moment. I will use a cheap neoprene Sleave in the meantime until I figure my options for cases. Can anyone confirm if the 400gb sandisk micro sd card will work with the zx300? Also, can anyone suggest a reputable cable that is decent quality, and allow me to enjoy the sq benefits of the balanced connection without costing huge bucks? For now, its gonna be a zx 300 in a sock with the onboard memory and SE xba h3. Thanks everyone. VeRy exctited tomhave premium sound on the go! Might pick up a silicone case for the gym.

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #4,900 of 12,862
So exited! Bit the bullet and just ordered a ZX300. I'm looking forward to the total inialation of my iPhone 6s in sound quality. I'm currently using my xba-h3 iem's.

The player was expensive enough for me and it seems I'm also going to have to invest in more stuff for it, to get the most out of it. Namely, a 4.4 cable to use the balanced connection with my h3's, a case and a micro sd. I only have mini sd At the moment. I will use a cheap neoprene Sleave in the meantime until I figure my options for cases. Can anyone confirm if the 400gb sandisk micro sd card will work with the zx300? Also, can anyone suggest a reputable cable that is decent quality, and allow me to enjoy the sq benefits of the balanced connection without costing huge bucks? For now, its gonna be a zx 300 in a sock with the onboard memory and SE xba h3. Thanks everyone. VeRy exctited tomhave premium sound on the go! Might pick up a silicone case for the gym.
That’s exciting!

I can confirm the 400gb card works perfectly well!

Feb 21, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #4,901 of 12,862
Well case just arrived from Amazon Japan to UK in 3 Days (cost me £59) and looks great. Excellent quality too. Great magnetic closure & includes a leather wrist strap if you want to use it.

Very nice looking case, that OEM one. but to me, the part that cradles the actual player doesn't look like it has any felt on it, and seeems looks hard plastic, which imho, looks like it might mar the surface of the aluminum in due time. Can you confirm if that is correct? I would like a case that only has soft contact points. For example, my otterbox actually marred and traced itself into my iPhone. I don't want that to happen to my ex300.

Feb 21, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #4,902 of 12,862
Very nice looking case, that OEM one. but to me, the part that cradles the actual player doesn't look like it has any felt on it, and seeems looks hard plastic, which imho, looks like it might mar the surface of the aluminum in due time. Can you confirm if that is correct? I would like a case that only has soft contact points. For example, my otterbox actually marred and traced itself into my iPhone. I don't want that to happen to my ex300.

All parts that caress the ZX300 have soft felt on them, all contact points have angel soft felt woven from unicorn hair.... :)

No really every contact point has felt, it's a great case. No worries about damage from the oem case!. The felt is on the inside contact point and you can't see it, but it's there. You don't think Sony would let you put your 700 dollar baby in just any old unprotected case :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #4,903 of 12,862
I've been reading through this rather large thread, and I can't believe you can't make playlists on the player?! Oh come on!!! How can Sony leave something like that out? No search function? I hope I didn't make a mistake and get a fancy machine with archaic interface. I know it's all about the SQ. But these features, I think are a no brainer. It seems I shouldn't hold my breath for the zx 300 get them either.

Edit: according to Sony website, it can be done. Looks like they are up to firmware 1.10. Mine will probably ship with that firmware anyway.

Also can the Walkman write files to the sd card when it's connected to my mac or do I have to directly transfer to music to card first and then insert it into Walkman?

Thanks!! Crawling the walls here in excitement!

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #4,904 of 12,862
I've been reading through this rather large thread, and I can't believe you can't make playlists on the player?! Oh come on!!! How can Sony leave something like that out? No search function? I hope I didn't make a mistake and get a fancy machine with archaic interface. I know it's all about the SQ. But these features, I think are a no brainer. It seems I shouldn't hold my breath for the zx 300 get them either.

Edit: according to Sony website, it can be done. Looks like they are up to firmware 1.10. Mine will probably ship with that firmware anyway.

Also can the Walkman write files to the sd card when it's connected to my mac or do I have to directly transfer to music to card first and then insert it into Walkman?

Thanks!! Crawling the walls here in excitement!

It's a monster sounding machine, which makes it easy to overlook some basic stuff. But hopefully they will address this sutff, but not in 1.10. Scrolling, playlist creation and search function would be more than welcome and easy to do. I don't think anything can surpass this thing in balanced that doesn't cost 3 grand or more.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #4,905 of 12,862
So, are you saying that the Sony website is showing a function (making playlists on machine) that it doesn't actually do? Wth.

Check out the Sony website:

http://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwzx300/v1/en/contents/TP0001449040.html

Does anyone have a 4.4.cable recommendation for my Sony h3's? Does the cheaper Sony balanced cable (non kimber) have the ability to wrap around the ear with that stiff wire that the stock h3's has? I don't want to have my IEMS falling out and tha ear hook wire that's built into the stock wire seems integral to keeping them in my ear, especially when out and about.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back