Sony NW-ZX300
Feb 14, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #4,681 of 12,862
Does the HE400i use same as Sen HD6... series? If so then two here. I've ordered the first one for a short cable for my HD660S

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5830

17-4_4-hd580-1.jpg

Or

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5576

17-580-female-4_4-1.jpg

These won't work. The HE400i has 2.5mm pins on the headphone end. I think the HD700 has those too.

Feb 14, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #4,683 of 12,862
I'm a total noob to "balanced audio". The ZX300 is my first source with Balanced Out. I got the cheapest balanced cable for my Ultimate Ears Triple Fi10 from eBay just to try it out. And what I heard was validation enough to advocate Balanced Out. So I've ordered (the cheapest) balanced cable for the HE400i from eBay too.

I've owned the TF10 for 8 years and I know it's signature well enough to make out the immediate difference with the balanced cable (even though it was the cheapest). This makes me fear for the fate of my wallet with all the fancy copper cables I keep Google-ing now...

Would like to know how the HE 400I fair balanced. I've pondered the mass drop version several times now, only thing is comfort, but the pads look big enough that they go around the ear. I think I might go for the drop this time :wink: 165 dollars I think.

Feb 14, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #4,685 of 12,862
Great DAP but lack functionality of much cheaper Sony lower range products. The device does not even have a clock on the screen!!!! Not to mention that NWZ - A15 has FM radio
You know, surgeons use scalpels when they need to get a job done properly. It's a shame that medical-grade scalpels lack the functionality of Swiss army knives... :)

Feb 14, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #4,686 of 12,862
You know, surgeons use scalpels when they need to get a job done properly. It's a shame that medical-grade scalpels lack the functionality of Swiss army knives... :)
don't get the irony here, we are talking about the same manufacturer, the same segment and given the price and what the rivals offer for the same price it's not funny. Why should Sony not allow to have clock on the screen?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #4,687 of 12,862
My WMC-NWH10 has the same issue, it will not work to use the ZX300 as a DAC, my guess is it requires a usb host/OTG connection on the smartphone side and nether the WMC-NWH10 nor the Fiio L27 are providing that wiring on the micro-B/Full-A side.
The Fiio L27 appears to be much more convenient to use on portable DAC with usb micro-B inputs compared to the WMC-NWH10 though, although you can use a USB A to micro B adapter on the later, it's just slightly bulkier.

I wish there was a short walkman cable to micro-B or type-C with OTG wiring, that way we wouldn't need to use the wmp-nwm10 adapter but I haven't found any, I am guessing the demand is too low considering only owners of the NW-A40 series and NW-ZX300 walkman could use one.

I am guessing we could also make our own, someone actually did this:
http://call-t.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2017-10-06

have a wmc-nwps1 cable. DAC works connected to a PC :)
TB2dgK0vOpnpuFjSZFIXXXh2VXa_!!0-fleamarket.jpg

Feb 14, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #4,689 of 12,862
Or even a clock on them :triportsad:
I know right?

@pakrush I'm sorry if I offended you, I didn't think that having a clock is so important to you. I think the point is that Sony is saying at this level, they are stripping out everything that isn't necessary to enjoy audio to its fullest. Of course, everyone's needs are different, and if the Sony ZX300 doesn't offer you what you need - there are plenty of other options you can buy.

Feb 14, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #4,690 of 12,862
I know right?

@pakrush I'm sorry if I offended you, I didn't think that having a clock is so important to you. I think the point is that Sony is saying at this level, they are stripping out everything that isn't necessary to enjoy audio to its fullest. Of course, everyone's needs are different, and if the Sony ZX300 doesn't offer you what you need - there are plenty of other options you can buy.

well, if you look at the rivals - the more expensive the more they offer apart from the main functionality. I mean customized Android OS, access to the internet and etc. I don't need those. But given that I don't think that putting a clock on the main screen can be considered as a luxury. It's basics

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #4,691 of 12,862
It's a matter of choice and Sony made theirs now it's your turn :wink:

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #4,692 of 12,862
I know right?

@pakrush . Of course, everyone's needs are different, and if the Sony ZX300 doesn't offer you what you need - there are plenty of other options you can buy.

That's my problem currently, two great options & I can't choose between the two as my daily go to.

The 128GB iPhoneSE coupled with Dragonfly Red sounds as good as the ZX300 with Balanced out (to my ears) and gives me the Tidal streaming I use. I don't use the iPhoneSE for anything other than music
But the ZX300 is so easy to use, sounds great and top battery (but have to use as DAC to phone for Tidal)
Both options basically same weigh/size~180g ( ZX300 similar weight & size with case on).

20180214_150209.jpg 20180214_150221.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back