Sony NW-ZX300
Feb 13, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #4,651 of 12,862
Isn't the NW-ZX300 poweful enough to drive the HE-400i on its own without an external amp?

My 400i at Max Volume on High gain is JUST enough for my liking with the SE output. Will update once I get the Balanced Cable.

Feb 13, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #4,652 of 12,862
My 400i at Max Volume on High gain is JUST enough for my liking with the SE output. Will update once I get the Balanced Cable.
How long have you burned the ZX300 in for? If it's any help to anyone, when I got mine (UK version) the first thing I did was unlock it, because I had to set the volume to around 110/120 to get my Shure SRH1540s sounding decent.

After unlocking it, on high gain mode I played at 95 to get the same volume, which was nice as it gave me some more headroom.

A week later I now play at around 85/120 for the same songs, as the amp is starting to burn in and seems to be louder now than it was before. This is all on SE by the way, I'm waiting on my balanced cable to arrive, then I'll let you guys know what effect that had.

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #4,656 of 12,862
Can I ask how this compares to the ak70?

I have never had the opportunity to test out any of Sony's gear and am thinking about possible upgrading/changing

After burning in the SE output of the zx300, the sony output has better detail and layering and better tone (more natural) to my ears than ak70. The ak70 sound stage is maybe a touch wider and of course it has more power, but the zx300 stage is more 3d. Also the zx300 timing is better.

On balanced it's not even close, more detail and dynamics on the zx300 and the stage is bigger all around- instruments have mega space around them and the layering is insane. Timing (attack and decay) is utterly realistic and the tone is almost analog ( slightly warmish) but with exact detail and resolution. Power is very close with the ak70 on balanced out. Oh and the zx300 isn't as warm sounding as the ak.

Seriosly, ak70 is a nice sounding dap, but I just can't enjoy it after getting used to the zx300. It sounds dullish. Total output power probably goes to the ak, but nothing else. And I never did notice much of a difference between the balanced on the ak and the single out. There is a big notable difference on the Sony.

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #4,657 of 12,862
How long have you burned the ZX300 in for? If it's any help to anyone, when I got mine (UK version) the first thing I did was unlock it, because I had to set the volume to around 110/120 to get my Shure SRH1540s sounding decent.

After unlocking it, on high gain mode I played at 95 to get the same volume, which was nice as it gave me some more headroom.

A week later I now play at around 85/120 for the same songs, as the amp is starting to burn in and seems to be louder now than it was before. This is all on SE by the way, I'm waiting on my balanced cable to arrive, then I'll let you guys know what effect that had.

about 300 hours on mine, and yes the burn in does change the sound.

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #4,658 of 12,862
There is also the fact that I strongly believe unlike the WM1A/Z the limitation on the EU unit isn't only software but hardware based as well (which is why there is no tourist unit available as the EU service center probably does not have replacement boards for uncapped units), this is strongly suggested by people who mentioned how some 150ohms headphones (like the HD660S) remain hard to drive on their EU units even after being uncapped through the rockbox destination tool (that's on high gain over balanced) while the factory uncapped ZX300 does not have any issue driving 300ohms headphones using the same configuration. While the software uncap does alleviate some of the issues, such as providing high gain on EU units, I do not believe it entirely removes the limitation, of course the only way to be sure would be to compare a formerly capped and a factory uncapped unit side by side with the same headphones at the same volume or to compare both motherboards. This is also why I do not believe the 1.6-4.2mW specification displayed on sony's website (https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-zx300/specifications) to be a typo of any kind, this kind of strict limitation (we are going down from 50mW and 200mW respectively to 1.6-4.2mW) isn't only enforced by software, (most likely the capped units have an extra resistor somewhere or a different power regulator), unfortunately I cannot compare units myself, but until we know for sure, I would strongly advise not to purchase the capped version of the unit sold in Western Europe even if you can remove the software limitation.
very good point. i've experienced same on my nwz-a15 and nwz-a865, very little volume increase after uncapping them vs non EU models. there must be some extra resistor on output...
didn't know with ZX300 , could be the same..

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #4,659 of 12,862
very good point. i've experienced same on my nwz-a15 and nwz-a865, very little volume increase after uncapping them vs non EU models. there must be some extra resistor on output...
Thats false information, all the Sony Models are built the same and even built in the same factory. There is no extra resistor or anything. (Some rare models had different built depending on the region, but thats long gone. Everything from the A or ZX series is built the same.) Even the ZX300A is the same as the ZX300 just that the built in chip for the capacity is different.

Also these two models will have the exact same output on the same settings if uncapped.

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #4,660 of 12,862
I received the Sony case yesterday and it’s great! No issues with the magnet when closing the cover while the screen is on. It also has a small notch on the right side that makes it way easier to know which button to press!

Im still burning in the balanced and se outputs and hopefully they will be burned in by the time I receive the HD6XX! I’ll report back.

Thanks for everyone’s comments and posts. They were such a great help on making decision!

Feb 13, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #4,661 of 12,862
I can attest to seeing a 10+ point difference in volume immediately after uncapping my ZX300. Pre-capping I could run 120/120 and it'd be loud enough, now I can't go past 90/120 on high gain without it being way too much, so I don't think there are component differences. It just wouldn't make business sense for Sony to manufacture different circuit boards for different regions. Software caps are far more cost-effective, and the lowest cost/resistance for the business to pass regulations.

Feb 13, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #4,662 of 12,862
C57E019B-32AD-4E33-9C62-A940AF24A462.jpeg

Feb 13, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #4,664 of 12,862
Sony centre Japan say there will be no tourist version (as of december 2017), but you can buy the Japanese version as a tourist status at the sony store with tax free and international warranty as long as you have temp status stamp on your passport, but then it's Japanese language only according to sony store.

Is this info available in print online somewhere? I'm planning on getting the zx300 and headphones (which model still undecided) from Japan in June. Planning on buying at Bic Camera or Yodobashi. Prices at those large chains are a bit discounted, but if the international warranty coverage is extended only to purchases at a Sony Store, may need to do that. It's only about $30 extra. (and still a lot cheaper than buying from an official retailer in the US)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back