Sony NW-ZX300
Jan 5, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #3,633 of 12,862
I couldn't be bothered with android if im not looking to stream. And as a stand alone DAP, i consider zx300 to be top notch (build and sound)

Jan 5, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #3,635 of 12,862
I personally go by a bevy of user reviews as it is more akin to how i would hear things. Of course i usually wait for the pro reviews to finally pull the trigger but this time i made an exception and i am very happy that i did. The zx300 is exceptional sounding. So much so, someone compared it to be very close to the WM1A. Now that is enough for me to be convinced. And indeed it does sound close to the WM1A on balanced out. This is the kind of analogue sound i was looking for in my upgrade.

Jan 5, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #3,636 of 12,862
hey guys, im new here

did anyone tried the zx300 and compare it to the cayin n5ii? im curious how they compare.

I've been doing that on and off for the past couple days along with Plenue R -
In all fairness - I'm coming off a head cold and ...well you know how that messes yer hearing and some of this will seem random, I'm sure
Soundwise they are very close, no outstanding flaws on either player. They both sound better balanced -to me. I have not been a solid believer in the past, of the claims.
I did just get the balanced kit today so I've been playin with these 2 units back and forth. I discounted the Plenue early on, yet with no Jet Effects activated it sounded really good, but that's all it had going for it. Ergonomically it's a disaster.
N5ii has a lot going for it- I call it the value king of 2017. Part of that is the 2 volt line out - a very good thing in my book.
I think Cayin is really in this for the sound, first and foremost - I use my N3 constantly
N5ii is a little more refined- I can hear it in well recorded cymbals especially.
The N5ii is big, full, lead vocals are up front where they belong, as if at a show or concert
ZX 300 on balanced is yet a touch more refined, more air, detail and separation.
If yer on a budget - N5ii, its a no brainer. I even prefer the plastic case included to their leather one, but thats a really personal thing- but at least its included.
I don't really need an android player, but I value some of those features. You can squeeze 12 hours of play with eq on with N5ii.
You'll get a lot more than 12 hours playback for the extra 300 give or take dollars.
Sony Is the first dap I've had to not totally f..k up artists with multiple albums and multiple sets within those albums...except for Apple products
I think the buttons on the Sony could have been done better...at least volume on opposite side or even raise them slightly.
I need some sleep -I'll keep the Cayin around for a few more days- Pm if you'd like to know more:smile_phones:

Jan 5, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #3,637 of 12,862
I am deeply interested in the Sony NW ZX300. Am waiting avidly for pro-reviews to come out on it. User reviews are saying its exceptional.

There are no licenses/qualifications and people in this hobby have personal or internet relationships with folks who build what they are commenting on.

Go with user reviews and try to find a balance.

Jan 5, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #3,638 of 12,862
I couldn't be bothered with android if im not looking to stream. And as a stand alone DAP, i consider zx300 to be top notch (build and sound)

yeah, i'll stream now and then but not that important to me.

I've been doing that on and off for the past couple days along with Plenue R -
In all fairness - I'm coming off a head cold and ...well you know how that messes yer hearing and some of this will seem random, I'm sure
Soundwise they are very close, no outstanding flaws on either player. They both sound better balanced -to me. I have not been a solid believer in the past, of the claims.
I did just get the balanced kit today so I've been playin with these 2 units back and forth. I discounted the Plenue early on, yet with no Jet Effects activated it sounded really good, but that's all it had going for it. Ergonomically it's a disaster.
N5ii has a lot going for it- I call it the value king of 2017. Part of that is the 2 volt line out - a very good thing in my book.
I think Cayin is really in this for the sound, first and foremost - I use my N3 constantly
N5ii is a little more refined- I can hear it in well recorded cymbals especially.
The N5ii is big, full, lead vocals are up front where they belong, as if at a show or concert
ZX 300 on balanced is yet a touch more refined, more air, detail and separation.
If yer on a budget - N5ii, its a no brainer. I even prefer the plastic case included to their leather one, but thats a really personal thing- but at least its included.
I don't really need an android player, but I value some of those features. You can squeeze 12 hours of play with eq on with N5ii.
You'll get a lot more than 12 hours playback for the extra 300 give or take dollars.
Sony Is the first dap I've had to not totally f..k up artists with multiple albums and multiple sets within those albums...except for Apple products
I think the buttons on the Sony could have been done better...at least volume on opposite side or even raise them slightly.
I need some sleep -I'll keep the Cayin around for a few more days- Pm if you'd like to know more:smile_phones:

hmm, yeah if the difference is that large i definitely go with the cayin

but in my country, zx300 cost the equivalent of $450, and the cayin cost the equivalent of $410
so not a big difference. that's why i'm comparing both DAP

but thank you for your opinion!

Jan 5, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #3,641 of 12,862
yeah, the MSRP is around $485, but people sell it for less. the lowest i've seen is ~$450 but it's usually ~$460

i dont know why but sony is pretty cheap here, even the A45 is only ~$200
I paid close to $700 .. :confounded:
For that price i wouldn't think before snatching one up. Just curious, how much is the WM1A in Indonesia?

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #3,643 of 12,862
I am deeply interested in the Sony NW ZX300. Am waiting avidly for pro-reviews to come out on it. User reviews are saying its exceptional.
I don't trust pro reviews these days most have an agenda or incentive, and they can be very superficial.
Forums, Amazon reviews are my best bet.
What's your pro source, stereophile (affiliates), what hifi?

My last DAP was/is the Cowon J3... sounds pretty good with IEMs, never saw any pro reviews just forum.
My interest in the ZX300 is MQA, DSD and balanced... not expecting much but I want the experience.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #3,644 of 12,862
I am just a little glad i didn't spend on the official case. Thanks Sony malaysia for being a poop and not carrying it in your store :D
Come on, if you really want it, i'm sure there is no way of stopping you:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, the world is a free trade zone, you can get what ever you want, all you need is $$$.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #3,645 of 12,862
Yeah, the 16GB zx300 version is a lot better value, but it's only for the Asian market, so one has to import it. That's fine though as in Europe the zx300 is 700 euro and I can buy the 16gb version for a bit above 300 euro. I\m certain 48Gb of internal space is not worth 400 euro - that\s like two 400GB sdcards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back