Sony NW-ZX300
Sep 3, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #301 of 12,862
The biggest downside for me Pentaconn- right after I finally get set up for 3.5 TRRS on my GOV2 and thinking of maybe ZX2 etc... in the future, then Sony switch to 4.4mm TRRRS... even after they already switched it for the PHA3 with 2x3.5TRS too. It's impossible to keep up! Reterminate or die in an avalanche of adapter cables!

I'm curious to know if anyone is really interested in the china version with 16GB, even if you can get a 400GB micro SDXC, it's going to bump the price right up, but I still think the 16GB version at USD 457 (RMB 2999) is still too expensive, pay a little more is worth having the 64GB version.

After having a few experiences with corrupted internal memory, I actually try not to use the internal memory as much as the external memory, so this makes a lot of sense for me. Also: Since I do a lot of shuffle play, instead of having my entire library at hand I like a smaller selection of music that I can refresh with new/different music just by swapping the memory card out.... the same thing can be accomplished with playlists but for some reason I have the habit of doing it like this.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #302 of 12,862
The biggest downside for me Pentaconn- right after I finally get set up for 3.5 TRRS on my GOV2 and thinking of maybe ZX2 etc... in the future, then Sony switch to 4.4mm TRRRS... even after they already switched it for the PHA3 with 2x3.5TRS too. It's impossible to keep up! Reterminate or die in an avalanche of adapter cables!

After having a few experiences with corrupted internal memory, I actually try not to use the internal memory as much as the external memory, so this makes a lot of sense for me. Since I do a lot of shuffle play, instead of having my entire library at hand I like a smaller selection of music that I can refresh with new/different music just by swapping the memory card out.... the same thing can be accomplished with playlists but for some reason I have the habit of doing it like this.
the 4.4 mm pentaconn is already pretty old but just now seemed like a good idea for sony. If you checked for what is standard and what not you would have found out the best standard to use is 4pin xlr and now for portable 4.4mm

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #303 of 12,862
OK ,I'm in. I'll just wait till whatever version shows up on accessoryjack or Buywise on Amazon. I'll order the factory case from Amazon Japan when it's available. Worst case, I'll just pick it up in Japan when I'm there over Xmas. Having 4.4 balance and being able to work as a DAC while connect to PC sold me. This will allow me to get rid of the TEAC HA-P50 at the office and allow me to have both ASIO balance playback both at home and at the office.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #304 of 12,862

After having a few experiences with corrupted internal memory, I actually try not to use the internal memory as much as the external memory, so this makes a lot of sense for me. Also: Since I do a lot of shuffle play, instead of having my entire library at hand I like a smaller selection of music that I can refresh with new/different music just by swapping the memory card out.... the same thing can be accomplished with playlists but for some reason I have the habit of doing it like this.

4.4 will be the standard for SONY device at least a few years from now.
Btw, WM1Z support 3.5 TRRS so a chance for ZX300 too.

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #305 of 12,862
I would buy the 16 GB version as well. The thought of having 760gb on board on the FiiO X7 II is super nice though.

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #306 of 12,862
How about the ability to drive the hd800 without additional amplification? My Focal Utopia sounds great out of the Zx100 so I am excited about the Utopia and ZX300 pairing. I have the WM-1Z but I find it too heavy for portable use. If you are a CIEMs guy/gal then a 15 mW per channel from the zx2 is plenty.

The A45 is rated at 35 mW per channel vs 50 mW per channel for the ZX300 so not a huge difference for 2.5x the price. Besides I would never try to drive high impedance headphones on a portable device, that is what my home system is for. I currently have the Sony A17 and looking to upgrade to the A45 and the A17 drives my B&W P2S2's just fine. For me using full size headphones with a portable audio device isn't very portable.

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #307 of 12,862
ZX300 has 200mw in balanced.

Sep 3, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #308 of 12,862
The A45 is rated at 35 mW per channel vs 50 mW per channel for the ZX300 so not a huge difference for 2.5x the price. Besides I would never try to drive high impedance headphones on a portable device, that is what my home system is for. I currently have the Sony A17 and looking to upgrade to the A45 and the A17 drives my B&W P2S2's just fine. For me using full size headphones with a portable audio device isn't very portable.
Via a balanced output of course! At 200 mW into 16 ohm with better parts thru out, the ZX300 should have stronger enough output with better sound at driving more difficult to drive headphones than the A40. I have both the A17 and A35 and sound wise they are nearly the same. The real upgrade is more of a screen size, touchscreen, and ability to play Native DSD as well as the DSD digital output. The A35 also has a slighly stronger output at 60mw into 16 ohm compared to the A17 and the A17 can't even play DSD file. The A40 and A35 are pretty much the same player though.

For reference the ZX100 still sound noticeably better than the A35 despite having less output power. The ZX300 should be even better than the zx100, A17, A35, and ZX1.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #309 of 12,862
Via a balanced output of course! At 200 mW into 16 ohm with better parts thru out, the ZX300 should have stronger enough output with better sound at driving more difficult to drive headphones than the A40. I have both the A17 and A35 and sound wise they are nearly the same. The real upgrade is more of a screen size, touchscreen, and ability to play Native DSD as well as the DSD digital output. The A35 also has a slighly stronger output at 60mw into 16 ohm compared to the A17 and the A17 can't even play DSD file. The A40 and A35 are pretty much the same player though.

For reference the ZX100 still sound noticeably better than the A35 despite having less output power. The ZX300 should be even better than the zx100, A17, A35, and ZX1.

So if you have balanced headphones then get it but my go to headphones aren't balanced so to get the power I need to spend even more money for a balanced cable or new headphones. If you have efficient portable headphones which I do then I don't need that kind of power and I do my serious listening on my home system in a quiet environment on a system that is better than any Dap. Again not saying to not to buy the ZX300 but for some people like myself it is overkill for portable use. I don't believe in spending that kind of money on a battery powered device unless I know I can replace the battery myself at some point. Sony recommends replacing the battery on their DAP's once battery life drops below 50%. Which was around 2 years for my A17 and I can't afford to spend $700.00 every two years.

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #310 of 12,862
You have good points but the zx300 offers darn near perfect combination for portable used including size, sound quality for portable use, UI, power, DSD digital transport and only come up short in term of single microSD slot. Balancing any headphones is easy and all of mine have already been terminated with balanced connector. So for me, the zx300 is very appealing.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #311 of 12,862
Thats a big price diference to pay b/n 16 gb and the £600 64gb version,its kinda double the money for nothing, as if some 48gb or less make any diference, so why not pay double ha!
They are trying it again on us in the Uk/EU and not even offering the better black version yet, shame on you again Sony!

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #312 of 12,862
the 4.4 mm pentaconn is already pretty old but just now seemed like a good idea for sony. If you checked for what is standard and what not you would have found out the best standard to use is 4pin xlr and now for portable 4.4mm

4.4mm is technically old but it wasn't made as an official standard until last year. Plus it's known that the special Pentaconn variant was developed by NDICS along side with the WM1 series when Sony's team provided feedback to NDICS and NDICS further improved their design. It was a good move on Sony and NDICS' part to push for JEITA recognition as an official standard because Sony has a bad reputation for doing proprietary connectors/connection which would hurt market adoption (eg the 2 x 3.5mm balanced on the PHA3), ergo you still see people thinking 4.4mm as a dick move on Sony's part to further muddle the market when 2.5mm is the "accepted standard", but with Sennheiser and Acoustic Research having 4.4mm products within the month or two away hopefully both the misconception and adoption will take off and we can get rid of that weak 2.5mm link for good.

Sep 3, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #313 of 12,862
Plus Pentaconn is much better connector than the old 2.5 mm standard and should provide slightly better sound quality due to larger contact areas. The sad part about the new Pentaconn is the lack thereof of female 4.4 mm jack.

Sep 3, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #314 of 12,862
Hopefully at least a major mainstream manufacturer adopting Pentaconn for the long term will push all the other MFRs into widespread adoption so we can finally stop playing musical chairs with these things.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #315 of 12,862
i have a nw-zx100, i charge around every 6 days with it's 45 hour battery life ( and battery care technology) that means it will take 8 years before i need to replace my battery, i presume if i get a nw-zx300, i will have to charge every 2-3 days, and expected battery life will be 4 years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back