Sony NW-ZX300
Oct 25, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #1,816 of 12,862
Well DSD via SE not that bad considering not Native. Chord Mojo & Hugo2 much better, but hopefully will do once the Sony balanced 4.4mm cable arrives for my SE846's.

Everything else sounds fabulous, even in DAC mode with Tidal HiFi especially good via UAPP app.

Tidal on PC with ZX300 doesn't seem to pass MQA and I also downloaded a demo MQA file to the ZX300 itself and doesn't seem to see the track. Is MQA enabled yet?

My setup now with Z5 compact linked together. Really neat and not to heavy.

I have the same query on MQA.

Oct 25, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #1,817 of 12,862
Well DSD via SE not that bad considering not Native. Chord Mojo & Hugo2 much better, but hopefully will do once the Sony balanced 4.4mm cable arrives for my SE846's.

Everything else sounds fabulous, even in DAC mode with Tidal HiFi especially good via UAPP app.

Tidal on PC with ZX300 doesn't seem to pass MQA and I also downloaded a demo MQA file to the ZX300 itself and doesn't seem to see the track. Is MQA enabled yet?

My setup now with Z5 compact linked together. Really neat and not to heavy.

There is nowhere stated that Mqa works over USB Dac. But mqa files do work when named .mqa.flac

Oct 25, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #1,818 of 12,862
There is nowhere stated that Mqa works over USB Dac. But mqa files do work when named .mqa.flac
OK. Will check file name

::Update::

Thanks for that. With extension as .mqa.flac it works. Song info shows as MQA but doesn't show a bitrate but think source was a DSD anyway. Sounds beautiful.

Just hope they get MQA also working over DAC at some point too, but not a deal breaker.

Plus my case is arriving today too. Just waiting on the Kimber 4.4mm Balanced now plus I have a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter coming to try with my Fiio 2.5mm balanced.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #1,819 of 12,862
There goes that portability factor lol :beyersmile:

Only velcro'ed on so can use with or without phone. The two together only weigh 300g anyway and due to size/shape actually very portable. The NW-WM1A is 267g on its own or even 455g for the 1Z!

Oct 25, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #1,820 of 12,862
One thing I notice with ZX300 compared to my Dragonfly Red playing some older 320mp3 tracks (80's stuff) is that it sounds more solid with greater life in the music. A greater presence & power for some reason. Also, not a hint of sibilance. Just more enjoyable

::UPDATE::

Just done some repeated AB testing between Z5C/DFR and the ZX300 using a single test track:

Tears For Fears - The Working Hour - Album: Songs From The Big Chair 2014 Remaster FLAC 24/96 2763 kbps VBR. Testing with SE846's.

Note: DFR used for many hours while ZX300 only around 5 hrs and SE connection (not balanced). Volume matched as best I can. UAPP App feeding audio to DFR.

Words that come to mind:

ZX300: Richer, greater bass punch, no discomfort with the highs. Maybe more musical.
Z5/DFR: More anaemic/less weight, more airiness/brighter, less body, slightly clearer mids, clearer treble but can experience some discomfort with the highs

Definite signature difference between these two. Less background hiss with the ZX300 (both have hardly any even with my sensitive SE846's).
On this track soundstage seems similar and ZX300 is warmer than DFR.
Dragonfly Red has more power to drive demanding headphones. Volume on DFR 50% on ZX300 65%.

I enjoyed listening to this particular track more on the ZX300 but great on both to be honest. Can't wait to hear what balanced sounds like and after burn-in.

One thing it has confirmed for me is that for music 24/96 or less plus MQA you really can't beat the DFR on price used with a phone or PC (for SE connection anyway).

Using the ZX300 with its side controls much easier than any smartphone/DAC combination controls. Plus perfect number of volume steps

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #1,821 of 12,862
OK. Will check file name

::Update::

Thanks for that. With extension as .mqa.flac it works. Song info shows as MQA but doesn't show a bitrate but think source was a DSD anyway. Sounds beautiful.

Just hope they get MQA also working over DAC at some point too, but not a deal breaker.

Plus my case is arriving today too. Just waiting on the Kimber 4.4mm Balanced now plus I have a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter coming to try with my Fiio 2.5mm balanced.
I hope they fix the awful latency issue, we are talking of almost 1000ms, which is inexcusable, it makes the DAC unusable for watching anything or gaming, no other DAC have such a poor latency.

Oct 25, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #1,822 of 12,862
I hope they fix the awful latency issue, we are talking of almost 1000ms, which is inexcusable, it makes the DAC unusable for watching anything or gaming, no other DAC have such a poor latency.

Not an issue for me as this is purely for listening to music (with DAC mostly used to phone for Tidal/Spotify). I use my 5.1 surround system out of PC for watching video/movie stuff.

Good to know, thanks. I still intend to keep my DF Red for use with Laptop.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #1,823 of 12,862
"The Sony Giza store does not currently have the tourist version (it won't have it at the release date either) and they do not know when it will be available, so right now, in Japan only the domestic version is available, which is only in Japanese (there is no option to change the language) so be aware of that if you are willing to purchase one."

hi.. just got mine direct from japan. im from the philippines, so returning the item would be very complicated. have you asked around if there will be a software update that includes language options? its all japanese!!!:tired_face::tired_face::tired_face:

Oct 25, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #1,824 of 12,862
"The Sony Giza store does not currently have the tourist version (it won't have it at the release date either) and they do not know when it will be available, so right now, in Japan only the domestic version is available, which is only in Japanese (there is no option to change the language) so be aware of that if you are willing to purchase one."

hi.. just got mine direct from japan. im from the philippines, so returning the item would be very complicated. have you asked around if there will be a software update that includes language options? its all japanese!!!:tired_face::tired_face::tired_face:
With the NWDestTool you can make your Japanese version too a Tourist Version.

Oct 25, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #1,825 of 12,862
Putting aside actual audible difference, there's still several layers of hypothesis going on here and you'll have to break it down one by one:
1) first, the idea of a tying PCB ground to chassis ground is a supported electronic design practice - so no dispute here
2) now supposedly the material used for this chassis ground is going to have an effect - this at least checks out in the equations because the chassis ground/reference voltage point ideally should be zero with infinite conductivity, yet no material is like this so some level of difference will occur in the real world
3) now the purity of the material as a whole - hmm maybe? As an extension of 2 it's at least an interesting suggestion < - where they are at

The logic is actually there - is it BS? I dunno, I think there's at least enough grounds for a proper test to demonstrate it.
This theory would even make the case have an influence on the player's sound: leather or rubber case anyone? Metal parts in the case?
OR: a person with sweaty hands holding the player (not ph-neutral).

Etc. etc. There are just too many variables that could influence the sound, going by this theory. Maybe it's just the brains playing tricks on them, is what sounds most plausible for me.

Oct 25, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #1,829 of 12,862

That's why I'm still waiting for it to be available locally next month so that it will have an English language.

Still weighing between zx300 or wm1a.

Congrats mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back