SONY NW-ZX2
Apr 2, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #11,192 of 14,773
I assume you travel needs have not changed.  If that is the case, I would suggest you move up slowly and don't go crazy on the way in with IEMs or phones.

So coming in at more of a midpoint price with an emphasis on portability instead of high-end or TOTL:

The Beyer Dynamic T51p is a very compact and good sounding headphone that isolates fairly well for an on-ear phone.  The ZX2 drives this no problem.  If you want something over the ear, there are a few more options.  I don't know if the Audeze EL8 could be easily driven with the ZX2 but that may be worth looking into.  Just don't plan on taking open back earphones on a plane.  So many choices really-

For in-ears, lots of choices.  If you want a neutral iem, The noble savant does pretty well.  Westone W40 is pretty good.  i find it more analytical than the Shures but many love this IEM.  The only brand I would be careful with is Shure.  They can be very sensitive IEMs and hiss with a lot of sources.  You would have to ask somebody here if the ZX2 hisses with the Shure iems.  If they don't hiss, the SE535LTD is a good little IEM with a rich forward midrange.  Whatever you do, listen for yourself.  You will inherently prefer the sound of one model over another.  

If you want to go really cheap on IEMs to even see if you like them, check out the Shure SE215 LTD in blue-green acrylic on amazon.  About 115-140 bucks on Amazon and these little IEMS punch way above their weight.

Finally, after you identify what model you want, look on the used boards and see if you can save some cash.  

For the record- I have Shure KSE1500 and Noble K10s I use with the Sony ZX2.  I have also owned the Shure 535, 846, W4R, W60, AKG3003i, Audeze LCD 2.2, BD T51P and etc...

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #11,193 of 14,773
Apr 2, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #11,194 of 14,773
Have a question, and have searched and not found an answer. My apologies if this has been discussed. 

Question: Has anyone else when using Spotify (playing  spotify's streaming stations or playing titles over wifi)  noticed it stops at every 30 minutes?  Is this from the sleep mode?

If so, I have looked for hrs unable to find a solution.  Is this the unit going  into sleep mode or is there a work around? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
biggrin.gif

kip

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #11,195 of 14,773
I read this in a CNET review of the NW-ZX2 on Feb 13, 2016:

"I own the NW-ZX2. DO NOT PURCHASE IT if you plan to use Spotify off line play lists. You can't use the 128GB USB memory OR the SD memory card. The Spotify off line play lists are only saved on the measly 2 GB internal memory. This issue is resolved in Android 5 but Sony REFUSES TO UPGRADE from 4.2.2 to 5 Kitkat. Sony is a "fire and forget" company. They fire their products on to the market and then forget about both their products and customers. No support, difficult to reach, impossible to deal with. That's Sony. If you've got a lot of FLAC files, fine, get this. But if your like most other people and want to use streaming services with off line play lists, this ain't the product to get. If you're an owner and have this problem as well, harass Sony on twitter @Sony and on Facebook."

Can anyone else confirm this is true - that the NW-ZX2 cannot save Spotify (or Tidal) off line to anything other than the internal 2GB memory???

Also, since the Filo X7 runs Kitkat, can the Filo X7 overcome this limitation and save to other sources (sd cards) besides the internal memory?

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #11,196 of 14,773

"I own the NW-ZX2. DO NOT PURCHASE IT if you plan to use Spotify off line play lists. You can't use the 128GB USB memory OR the SD memory card. The Spotify off line play lists are only saved on the measly 2 GB internal memory. This issue is resolved in Android 5 but Sony REFUSES TO UPGRADE from 4.2.2 to 5 Kitkat. Sony is a "fire and forget" company. They fire their products on to the market and then forget about both their products and customers. No support, difficult to reach, impossible to deal with. That's Sony. If you've got a lot of FLAC files, fine, get this. But if your like most other people and want to use streaming services with off line play lists, this ain't the product to get. If you're an owner and have this problem as well, harass Sony on twitter @Sony and on Facebook."

Can anyone else confirm this is true - that the NW-ZX2 cannot save Spotify (or Tidal) off line to anything other than the internal 2GB memory???

Also, since the Filo X7 runs Kitkat, can the Filo X7 overcome this limitation and save to other sources (sd cards) besides the internal memory?

It's true for Spotify, don't know about Tidal. Apple Music don't support 4.2 at all. I'm not worried about any of this as I got my ZX2 exclusively for playing my flac files

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #11,197 of 14,773

The X7 cannot save Spotify or Tidal to its SD card. It can save them to its internal 32 GB storage area.

The Onkyo DP-X1 can save them to one of its SD cards in addition to its internal 32 GB storage area.

Apr 3, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #11,198 of 14,773

I don't use Spotify, but the ZX2 has no problem with storing Tidal offline content external to the "internal 2GB memory". I have 109GB of hi-res content on mine at the moment.

Apr 3, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #11,199 of 14,773
checking the FS threads , i see too many AKs for sale and no ZX2 

this is a good indication , me thinks

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #11,200 of 14,773
Thank you very much for your response!!

OK - so switch to Tidal if I want to be able to download >2GB on the Sony zx2. 
Very interesting that the sd card limitation appears to be APP specific in regards to Spotify and not something Sony can/should address. So SPOTIFY - get your act together :)

Apr 3, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #11,202 of 14,773

The X7 cannot save Spotify or Tidal to its SD card. It can save them to its internal 32 GB storage area.

The Onkyo DP-X1 can save them to one of its SD cards in addition to its internal 32 GB storage area.

So how has your DP-X1 experience been so far? Not necessarily compared to the ZX2, mind you those thoughts would be interesting, but in general? What headphones are you using again?

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #11,203 of 14,773

this.

Many thanks moemoney and Proedros. Your advise is spot on - I'm getting good battery life after putting it on airplane mode. Got 18 hours so far, with 60% battery still remaining. This is excellent.

I just need to sort out the headphone issue. Bose QC25 isn't quite loud so I'm considering alternatives suggested by some nice people on this forum.

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #11,204 of 14,773
  Thank you very much for your response!!

OK - so switch to Tidal if I want to be able to download >2GB on the Sony zx2. 
Very interesting that the sd card limitation appears to be APP specific in regards to Spotify and not something Sony can/should address. So SPOTIFY - get your act together :)

A recent update to the Spotify App includes the option of user selectable storage location for offline music files. Previously it was selected by the app itself and if often got it wrong. Perhaps this will now allow use of alternative locations on the ZX2 ?

So how has your DP-X1 experience been so far? Not necessarily compared to the ZX2, mind you those thoughts would be interesting, but in general? What headphones are you using again?

I'm loving it. This is the first Android 5 based device I've used and I have to say it's a significant step up from 4.x in general functionality and responsiveness. Very happy with SQ too. Great synergy with Beyer TP51 but I'm looking for some large over-ear closed 'phones to partner it. 

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #11,205 of 14,773

I'm loving it. This is the first Android 5 based device I've used and I have to say it's a significant step up from 4.x in general functionality and responsiveness. Very happy with SQ too. Great synergy with Beyer TP51 but I'm looking for some large over-ear closed 'phones to partner it. 

The PM3 has excellent synergy, but I suspect any well balanced, somewhat warm tilted headphone will do well. I am loving the B&O H7, but that is in Bluetooth mode. I think the wired signature would be equally excellent. It only has a 40mm driver but it plays bigger. I think B&O nailed the sound signature.

Edit: and not to stir controversy too much, but do you think it is such a departure in musicality from the ZX2 as some seem to suggest? My phone just updated to Android six and it is even more responsive, noticeable for sure, but not crazy better, just better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back