SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 29, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #11,161 of 14,773
Unless I am mistaken, the sandisk is class 10 and the Lexar is U3.  The U3 should be much faster.  

2 things regarding memory I learned from my other hobby (DSLR photography):

1.  Be careful not to buy counterfeit memory.  Even from Amazon.  Be sure to buy from a very reputable store.  Counterfeit memory is slower than advertised and has no warranty.

2.  I would look at actual measured benchmarks for memory before I bought.  Even within the same segment, memory performs differently.  If I had a 200GB card, it better be fast.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #11,162 of 14,773
Unless I am mistaken, the sandisk is class 10 and the Lexar is U3.  The U3 should be much faster.  

1.  Be careful not to buy counterfeit memory.  Even from Amazon.  Be sure to buy from a very reputable store.  Counterfeit memory is slower than advertised and has no warranty.

2.  I would look at actual measured benchmarks for memory before I bought.  Even within the same segment, memory performs differently.  If I had a 200GB card, it better be fast.

To me the speed is not that important (read speed obviously need to be high enough to feed the dac) as I tend to fill a card once and then only very occasionally replace parts of the contents

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #11,164 of 14,773
I thought my modded SE846 sounds better with ZX2 than the KSE1500.

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #11,165 of 14,773
The SE846 is brilliant in its own right.  I owned it from day 1 release and for more than a year after that.  Despite that, no source I have heard puts the SE846 in a better position than the KSE1500.  When I listened to the SE846, it has incredible bass and rolled off treble with mid range push.  It is fun and easy to listen too but far from accurate.  I tried the W60 which offered superior treble, dryer midrange with a downgrade in bass.  In walks the K10 custom.  It manages to bridge that gap and improve on the SE846s strengths.  To be specific, the midrange had far less veil, treble extended a touch further, and while bass did not hit as hard it felt tighter.  For this reason, you should probably check out the Noble K10.  For me, it lacked the trebell extension of the W60.  With the KSE, I get all of it and more.  I get better bass, more transparent midrange, and better/less fatiguing treble.  Soundstage, transient response and other factors favor the KSE.  

Lets face it.  We all have unique instruments- our ears.  I cannot and will not disagree with your tastes but I explained why, to my ears, I find the KSE vastly superior.  However, You should probably demo the K10.  I plan to keep mine because I love it.  It is not in the same league as the KSE but it is great for so many reasons.  It is polite like the SE846.  I joke with my friends that it is the Shure 1046.  2gens up without leaving fans behind.  

YMMV.

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #11,166 of 14,773

I would not get the Sandisk if speed is your concern.  14-15 MB/s will not cut it for me.  If you can wait for a month or two there might be faster cards coming out.  The Lexar 633x should be able to do 20mb/sec while the up-and-coming Patriot is advertised at or around 40 mb/s.  All have 200GB capacity.

Mar 30, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #11,167 of 14,773
  The SE846 is brilliant in its own right.  I owned it from day 1 release and for more than a year after that.  Despite that, no source I have heard puts the SE846 in a better position than the KSE1500.  When I listened to the SE846, it has incredible bass and rolled off treble with mid range push.  It is fun and easy to listen too but far from accurate.  I tried the W60 which offered superior treble, dryer midrange with a downgrade in bass.  In walks the K10 custom.  It manages to bridge that gap and improve on the SE846s strengths.  To be specific, the midrange had far less veil, treble extended a touch further, and while bass did not hit as hard it felt tighter.  For this reason, you should probably check out the Noble K10.  For me, it lacked the trebell extension of the W60.  With the KSE, I get all of it and more.  I get better bass, more transparent midrange, and better/less fatiguing treble.  Soundstage, transient response and other factors favor the KSE.  

Lets face it.  We all have unique instruments- our ears.  I cannot and will not disagree with your tastes but I explained why, to my ears, I find the KSE vastly superior.  However, You should probably demo the K10.  I plan to keep mine because I love it.  It is not in the same league as the KSE but it is great for so many reasons.  It is polite like the SE846.  I joke with my friends that it is the Shure 1046.  2gens up without leaving fans behind.  

YMMV.

I've had the KSE1500, Layla, Layla v.2, K10U on my hands at the same time.  KSE just doesn't sound fun to me, and I don't like the amp section of it at all, drags it down when my other IEM's can take advantage of my Pure 2+.

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #11,168 of 14,773
  I would not get the Sandisk if speed is your concern.  14-15 MB/s will not cut it for me.  If you can wait for a month or two there might be faster cards coming out.  The Lexar 633x should be able to do 20mb/sec while the up-and-coming Patriot is advertised at or around 40 mb/s.  All have 200GB capacity.

I happen to have the 64GB version of this card (it even comes with the same USB 3 mini-reader). I don't use it in the ZX2, but rather, I got it for a GoPro camera.

Yes, it's a U3-rated card. It's not QUITE as fast as some other U3 cards out there. The read speed is pretty good. I tend to observe anywhere between 60-80MB/s. Write speed is much lower and tends to just barely meet the U3 specification. I tend to see between 25-35MB/s.

If anyone is interested:

http://thepcenthusiast.com/lexar-633x-64gb-microsd-review/

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #11,171 of 14,773
Mar 30, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #11,172 of 14,773
Indeed.We have such a great sounding device especially if we add TRRS and disable sound enhancement that frankly it's all everyone needs as far as portables go.Also i don't want ZX2 to devalue so quickly(yes,a bit egotistical but what to do :).

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #11,173 of 14,773
Indeed.We have such a great sounding device especially if we add TRRS and disable sound enhancement that frankly it's all everyone needs as far as portables go.Also i don't want ZX2 to devalue so quickly(yes,a bit egotistical but what to do :).

Lol.....common, I want Zx3 ! :D, but I agreed to all the above

Mar 31, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #11,174 of 14,773
I hope to pick up my new ZX2 today.  I sold my AK240 for this.  The musicality of the ZX2 is enjoyable and a good match for my gear.  I could have easily plodded along with my AK240 until the ZX3 came out but there is no guarantee it will sound the same.  It may sound better/worse/different.  Since the ZX2 has a sound I am specifically wanting, I saw no reason to wait.  If the ZX3 turns out to improve upon this sound and offer better UI and hardware, well then I will consider that purchase.  I won't feel bad if that happens tomorrow.  The ZX2 delivers what I want today.  Even between the AK players, there are significant difference in sound.  Even if you compare the AK120 to AK120ii, they sound different.  Many prefer the older one.  

Now for the dreaded burn-in....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back