SONY NW-ZX2
Oct 29, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #8,551 of 14,773

it's not OCD , just practicality

if you shut down ZX2 , when you turn it back on the sound gimmicks go to work again even if  the app is disabled

so if you enable the soundapp just before turning it off , when reopening it next day you just disable the app and you are back to pure non-apps ZX2 sound

seems like a hassle , but it's just an extra 30''/5 taps more

You may want to take this with a grain of salt but, my anecdotal evidence suggests that there's no functional need to "turn off" the ZX2 (unless you know you're not going to use it for multiple days in a row).

Assuming you put the device into "Airplane Mode" in order to shut off all the radios, then the amount of battery life it loses while in "Sleep" mode is roughly equivalent to completely shutting it off for the night. There's a lot of wasted energy in booting up Android. Plus, as you can see, every time you boot it up, you have to go through the hassle of turning off the sound apps again.

I tend to listen to my ZX2 on average, 2-3 hours per day. And by simply letting it sit in "sleep" mode when not in use, I typically go 9-10 days between charges.

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #8,552 of 14,773

it's not OCD , just practicality

if you shut down ZX2 , when you turn it back on the sound gimmicks go to work again even if  the app is disabled

so if you enable the soundapp just before turning it off , when reopening it next day you just disable the app and you are back to pure non-apps ZX2 sound

seems like a hassle , but it's just an extra 30''/5 taps more

You may want to take this with a grain of salt but, my anecdotal evidence suggests that there's no functional need to "turn off" the ZX2 (unless you know you're not going to use it for multiple days in a row).

Assuming you put the device into "Airplane Mode" in order to shut off all the radios, then the amount of battery life it loses while in "Sleep" mode is roughly equivalent to completely shutting it off for the night. There's a lot of wasted energy in booting up Android. Plus, as you can see, every time you boot it up, you have to go through the hassle of turning off the sound apps again.

I tend to listen to my ZX2 on average, 2-3 hours per day. And by simply letting it sit in "sleep" mode when not in use, I typically go 9-10 days between charges.

I always keep my unit on sleep mode, I just push the play to listen, and pause using the play button, that's it, and it last me about 10 days, I think android is not suppose to be completely turned off.

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #8,554 of 14,773
weekend again go to the Sony store to listen to ZX2
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #8,555 of 14,773
Originally Posted by Conext 

Quote:

I always keep my unit on sleep mode, I just push the play to listen, and pause using the play button, that's it, and it last me about 10 days, I think android is not suppose to be completely turned off.

thank you both for the feedback , i have thought about leaving it on without playing (this is the sleep mode ?) but was wondering if it drains the battery - according to you the battery drain is minimal , so i wll try it out tonight

i already have it in airplane mode , as i use it strictly as a DAP (i even disabled all google apps)

cheers

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #8,556 of 14,773
  Originally Posted by Conext 

Quote:

thank you both for the feedback , i have thought about leaving it on without playing (this is the sleep mode ?) but was wondering if it drains the battery - according to you the battery drain is minimal , so i wll try it out tonight

i already have it in airplane mode , as i use it strictly as a DAP (i even disabled all google apps)

cheers

I have disabled or delete all I can apart from play store, and I only turn on wifi or BT if I need it, but it's off if i'm not using it, the airplane mode is just the same as sleep mode, if you have the wifi, BT and NFC off.

Yes just pause the player using the play button and push again to play, that's all I do.

Over 10 days of use and most of the time I get about 20% power left, I never let the player drain the battery to dead, I recharge when I have about 15% to 20% left, and charge to about 90%, never to 100% unless I forget to remove the cable
biggrin.gif
.  it prolong the battery life.

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #8,557 of 14,773

Yes just pause the player using the play button and push again to play, that's all I do.

Over 10 days of use and most of the time I get about 20% power left, I never let the player drain the battery to dead, I recharge when I have about 15% to 20% left, and charge to about 90%, never to 100% unless I forget to remove the cable
biggrin.gif
.  it prolong the battery life.

i follow the same recharge cycle , charge it when it approaches 20% and stop chrging it around 90%

i read an article that said this is the best charging policy for prolonged battery life

will try the ''push pause to sleep'' mode for 2-3 days and will report how much the battery drains when in idle mode

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #8,559 of 14,773
  who measured how many hours is really enough batteries?

every device is different so this is a bit unpredictable, a fiio x7 battery will not last the same as a zx100 battery different mAh's, diferent power reqs by the host

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #8,560 of 14,773

i follow the same recharge cycle , charge it when it approaches 20% and stop chrging it around 90%

i read an article that said this is the best charging policy for prolonged battery life

will try the ''push pause to sleep'' mode for 2-3 days and will report how much the battery drains when in idle mode

I knew I had an old post around here which specified just how much battery drain I observed while in sleep mode for 24 hours:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/2685#post_11397972

In short: less than 3% drain per 24 hours. Not perfect. But for an Android-based device? Pretty good.

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #8,561 of 14,773
  I knew I had an old post around here which specified just how much battery drain I observed while in sleep mode for 24 hours:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/2685#post_11397972

In short: less than 3% drain per 24 hours. Not perfect. But for an Android-based device? Pretty good.

Maybe that's why they went with Jelly Bean. Lollipop battery life isn't that great for a lot of devices from what I've read on XDA (WiFi battery drain was insane on my Nexus 5 but now fixed on Marshmallow).

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #8,564 of 14,773
It is true that if I forgot to leave my ZX2 on wifi...it battery drains in a day from 90% to 7%...... But without anything and only idling sleep, I got about a week without charging and casually listening here and there
biggrin.gif

it's not enough!
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #8,565 of 14,773
  Maybe that's why they went with Jelly Bean. Lollipop battery life isn't that great for a lot of devices from what I've read on XDA (WiFi battery drain was insane on my Nexus 5 but now fixed on Marshmallow).

I wonder if the Onkyo DP-X1 DAP which is Android 5 is Marshmallow? I'm not an Android user, love my Blackberry OS, but seeing as how I'm getting the Onkyo I will need to get some Android literacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back