SONY NW-ZX2
Oct 28, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #8,522 of 14,773

How much of an improvement is using TRRS with the 846's?  And how much were the cables?

Not really feeling on spending too much on cable, since, I already have the Angie's, and I feel upgrading the 846's cables/trrs will just make them sound closer to the Angie's? (more resolving, wider soundstage, etc.)

Improve yes, big improve? no in my opinion, for mi no worth spend 400USD (cable + import + taxes) because is a slight improvement in my opinion

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #8,524 of 14,773
Has anyone got any views on what Steve at enjoythemusic mentioned with regards to DSP trickery when it comes the sound of the ZX2? Do you think the music has been slightly tampered with at the DAC/output stage to get the musical presentation?

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #8,525 of 14,773
I never spent 400$ for upgraded TRRS cables. The most was 185$ and that included everything with a nice and pure solid silver cables, which I use with both mdr sa5000 and z7.

To me it is totally worth it

I live in Chile (Sur America) for that reason I pay 195 USD (cable) + 40 USD (shipping) + 90 USD (taxes) = 325 USD sorry not 400, but I still think is to much for the improvement, in Chile the minimum salary is aprox 350 USD...so it is to much money in Chile

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #8,526 of 14,773

why would you even need a nw-zx2 if PHA-3 is into play, why not just use any other DAP

Call me crazy but using my iPod Classic Gen 6 doesn't yield the same sound even between the stock white Apple USB cable vs. ADL iD-30PA USB cable (I was really surprised by this as I bought the ADL cable only because of its short length).

Every component on your audio chain can yield subtle differences in the sound, it's not in my head (I used to think it was) because I've had many different audio components both home and portable for many many years.

I've wondered for a long time why a lot of modern high-end audio components don't use copper plating when we now have RF everywhere. It's all about cost.

Oct 28, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #8,527 of 14,773
I live in Chile (Sur America) for that reason I pay 195 USD (cable) + 40 USD (shipping) + 90 USD (taxes) = 325 USD sorry not 400, but I still think is to much for the improvement, in Chile the minimum salary is aprox 350 USD...so it is to much money in Chile

I am sure that u earn more than minimum salary. Given the high price, why not learn how to make a cable yourself? Just get a high purity bulk wire and that should take care of most application. Always buy used and learn how to reterminate and save plenty of money. I bought used upgrade cable all the time for fraction of the cost and do a determination job myself for instance.

Oct 28, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #8,528 of 14,773
I am sure that u earn more than minimum salary. Given the high price, why not learn how to make a cable yourself? Just get a high purity bulk wire and that should take care of most application. Always buy used and learn how to reterminate and save plenty of money. I bought used upgrade cable all the time for fraction of the cost and do a determination job myself for instance.

Chile don´t have a market for custom cable audio for 2 reason:

1.- You don´t find high purity wire (Silver o Copper) in Chile (ironic jajaja mining it is a big bussines in Chile), you need import from USA or other country
2.- Don´t have much people use premium products for audio...so

regards

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #8,529 of 14,773
How i that a player cannot handle dynamics of orchestral works well? i find sony players handle quiet and loud parts well

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #8,530 of 14,773
I think it may depend on recording. All my classical music is 24/96 FLAC from bowers and Wilkins society of sound and they sound really good. For example Maurice Ravel's Bolero starts of quiet and builds into a crescendo and zx2 reproduces that very well..

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #8,531 of 14,773
  Has anyone got any views on what Steve at enjoythemusic mentioned with regards to DSP trickery when it comes the sound of the ZX2? Do you think the music has been slightly tampered with at the DAC/output stage to get the musical presentation?

would be interesting to hear if anyone has got any views on this as it intrigued me? Does disabling the sound enhancements bypass this and give us a pure path??

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #8,532 of 14,773
would be interesting to hear if anyone has got any views on this as it intrigued me? Does disabling the sound enhancements bypass this and give us a pure path??

Sony stock form will use the sound adjustment to lower the quality overall of the ZX2, this allows the headroom for EQ and effects. So for as long as the sound adjustment app is presenting, then the ZX2 will not sound the way it supposed to be at 100%. Some people may like this as it allow EQ, some may not, especially people who tend for the most quality pure music without EQ.

By disabling the Sound adjustment app, the ZX2 maxed out it quality, pure, untouched.

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #8,533 of 14,773
Sony stock form will use the sound adjustment to lower the quality overall of the ZX2, this allows the headroom for EQ and effects. So for as long as the sound adjustment app is presenting, then the ZX2 will not sound the way it supposed to be at 100%. Some people may like this as it allow EQ, some may not, especially people who tend for the most quality pure music without EQ.

By disabling the Sound adjustment app, the ZX2 maxed out it quality, pure, untouched.

Thanks. So even with having nothing checked in the Sound Adjustment App, will that still have an effect on the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back