SONY NW-ZX2
Oct 23, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #8,462 of 14,773
On my ZX2 (US model), I don't get the louder sound unless "Dynamic Normalizer" is turned on when I disable the Sound Adjustment app. Does this sound right to you?  

Disable the sound enhencement app ! Remember to uncheck the Dynamic Normalizer.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/8295#post_12001421

Oct 24, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #8,464 of 14,773
all you guys who rave about the TRRS improvement , you convinced me to spend even more money , congrats  
tongue.gif

i bought a TRRS-made moon audio ''silver dragon'' cable for my incoming UM Miracles

now we wait for the party to start 
biggrin.gif

also , the disabling of the 'sound enhancement' app , is really a revelation , imho (and ears)

great observation by whitigr 
beerchug.gif

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #8,465 of 14,773
Don't know why people  use spotify in their high-end DAP zx1 or zx2

Because spotify uses a lossy codec OGG at 320 kbps at best.. at free (worst case) unknown (perhpas 128 or 64 kbps)... technically you are wasting your sony dap circuitry and DAC/amplifier... is like buying a PC intended for gaming and using it to read email....

Because of this we are getting  masters of questionable quality, my case is Brilliant Classics, they started very good in 2003's and now they are worthless not matter how tempting that new Pietro Locatelli edition looks...

Like the campaign againts gay youth committing suicide "It gets better"... for music is the inverse "It gets worse" sad these modern day auidophiles, iPhone and strap it to a DAC AMP and voila i'm audiophile grade.... I have a dude at work who listens to FLAC in ... earPods! and calls him self audiophile, yeah

I use FLAC to be those very few who cares for the sound quality and force labels to give you better masters, not mastered for itunes... With FLAC i get the maximum capabilities of my ZX, and better with 24 bit Hi-res

Tidal and Qobuz excluded from this Rant as they offer LOSSLESS streaming

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #8,466 of 14,773
Poor man asks rich man why he buys a Ferrari and always keeps to the speed limit.
Rich man tells poor man because he can.

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #8,467 of 14,773
  Don't know why people  use spotify in their high-end DAP zx1 or zx2

Tidal and Qobuz excluded from this Rant as they offer LOSSLESS streaming

Dude, people who make the choice know that there are some smallish sound trade-offs for lossy files, but in turn you get access to an enormous library of music you couldn't afford. My Tidal subscription is for 320 AAC, but previously I had Flac streaming and there was no way I could hear any difference at all.​

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #8,469 of 14,773
  Just got one of those babies. Upgrading from ZX1. Very impressed so far and it only seems to get better with time. Now, off to sell the ZX1 so I can eat for a few weeks!!!!

One reason I upgraded too was the slow transfer speed to the internal storage of the ZX-1, so with the ZX-2 now, I use the internal storage for my "desert island discs" which I hardly change, and use an external card reader to load and re-load at will the micro SD card at USB3 speeds. 

Oct 25, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #8,471 of 14,773
I would be interested to know what you lose ZX1 and ZX2? what's the difference between these two players for the sound!

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #8,472 of 14,773
To be honest, I wasn't expecting massive amount of changes between the two but it turned out that the ZX2 did improve quite a lot on the ZX1 sound. Two key areas for me that warrant the changes: 

1 - the bass is way tighter and more prominent. It's wider in a sense and the sound separation between drums and bass lines for example, is splendid. 
2 - the soundstage is also much better - kinda of link to above

The ZX1 is a splendid player, but I'm more engaged with the ZX2. And all that is opening even more as time goes on and the player burns in. Interestingly, the headphone pairing is different with the ZX2 as well, so I'll have to play with that as well.

I does help that the battery life is great and the player feels and looks a million dollars. It's truly a fantastic piece of engineering. I like the addition of the microSD card reader as well compared to the ZX1.  
I don't mind Android either. :)

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #8,473 of 14,773
To be honest, I wasn't expecting massive amount of changes between the two but it turned out that the ZX2 did improve quite a lot on the ZX1 sound. Two key areas for me that warrant the changes: 

1 - the bass is way tighter and more prominent. It's wider in a sense and the sound separation between drums and bass lines for example, is splendid. 
2 - the soundstage is also much better - kinda of link to above

The ZX1 is a splendid player, but I'm more engaged with the ZX2. And all that is opening even more as time goes on and the player burns in. Interestingly, the headphone pairing is different with the ZX2 as well, so I'll have to play with that as well.

I does help that the battery life is great and the player feels and looks a million dollars. It's truly a fantastic piece of engineering. I like the addition of the microSD card reader as well compared to the ZX1.  
I don't mind Android either. :)

Did you try TRRS out and disabled sound adjustment app ? You will not get the maximum performance of ZX2 without these 2

Oct 25, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #8,475 of 14,773
  I would be interested to know what you lose ZX1 and ZX2? what's the difference between these two players for the sound!

I had the ZX1 for almost two years, I agree with globiboulga, but after switching to ZX2 I'd start with they are in a totally different league IMHO. It's like the ZX1 was an early prototype of what Sony intended, and the ZX2 is it.

It's not like a subtle difference in quality, like better bass, mids or highs but a *big* one. Soundstage wise, you get a tad better width but much better depth, the ZX2 is much more 3 dimensionnal and as Whitigir perfectly sumed up in his review, tonal realism is just amazing. The ZX2 is all about nuances, it's like all of a sudden you get the artist's interpretation, the music is more expressive if that makes any sense. The ZX2 conveys the emotions in the music it doesn't take analyzing to feel it, the music moves you more and I think it explains why people feel it's engaging. There is a kind of "analogue" quality to it, maybe due to Sony using certain materials and components, I don't know and in the end what matters is the result :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back