SONY NW-ZX2
Oct 25, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #8,476 of 14,773
  I would be interested to know what you lose ZX1 and ZX2? what's the difference between these two players for the sound!

The biggest improvements going from the ZX1 to ZX2 is the richness of tones (some will say it colored) along with significant improvement in soundstage.  Bass kicks harder and go lower and smoother overall sound.  It is a noticeably improvement that's for sure.  Another is the battery life...which is just great.  One thing I dislike about the ZX2 is its size and especially weight.  It is considerably bigger and weightier than the ZX1.  If Sony can get the ZX2 sound into the ZX1 body and still retain battery life and Andriod OS...they will have a winner.

Oct 25, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #8,477 of 14,773
  The biggest improvements going from the ZX1 to ZX2 is the richness of tones (some will say it colored) along with significant improvement in soundstage.  Bass kicks harder and go lower and smoother overall sound.  It is a noticeably improvement that's for sure.  Another is the battery life...which is just great.  One thing I dislike about the ZX2 is its size and especially weight.  It is considerably bigger and weightier than the ZX1.  If Sony can get the ZX2 sound into the ZX1 body and still retain battery life and Andriod OS...they will have a winner.

Well, to be fair ZX2 is quite smaller than many high end DAP competitors, although it's weighty I'll give you that :)

Oct 25, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #8,479 of 14,773
  Don't know why people  use spotify in their high-end DAP zx1 or zx2

Because spotify uses a lossy codec OGG at 320 kbps at best.. at free (worst case) unknown (perhpas 128 or 64 kbps)... technically you are wasting your sony dap circuitry and DAC/amplifier... is like buying a PC intended for gaming and using it to read email....

Because of this we are getting  masters of questionable quality, my case is Brilliant Classics, they started very good in 2003's and now they are worthless not matter how tempting that new Pietro Locatelli edition looks...

Like the campaign againts gay youth committing suicide "It gets better"... for music is the inverse "It gets worse" sad these modern day auidophiles, iPhone and strap it to a DAC AMP and voila i'm audiophile grade.... I have a dude at work who listens to FLAC in ... earPods! and calls him self audiophile, yeah

I use FLAC to be those very few who cares for the sound quality and force labels to give you better masters, not mastered for itunes... With FLAC i get the maximum capabilities of my ZX, and better with 24 bit Hi-res

Tidal and Qobuz excluded from this Rant as they offer LOSSLESS streaming

Actually not everything on Tidal is lossless, as some music is still lossy but most are in lossless format so there is that. The only reason I bought the X7 is to use spotify on that. Just saying :p I really do dislike the term audiophile, kind of a snobby term if you ask me.
tongue.gif

I would argue that this is the golden age for modern day audiophiles, with more choices than ever before, no matter what your budget or needs. Hard to find lossless quality for top 40 kind of music so I am relegated to using Mp3 mostly but I do use FLAC for older music. Just saying that I have heard properly encoded 320 vs FLAC and the difference is quite subtle. I have the gear to be able to tell the difference so its not that, and my hearing is above normal according to my audiologist, so its not an issue of my hearing. I do think that people like to play up the differences when they are more subtle than they would like to admit :wink:

People listening to MP3 care about the sound quality as well, just saying :p  

I might eventually pick up the ZX2 when the used prices drop a lot more but will enjoy my X7 in the meanwhile, listening to Mp3 and spotify haha. 
evil_smiley.gif

LOL Jk, its mean as a lighthearted jab, don't take it seriously :wink:

Edit: I also use the EarPod a lot, very comfy and good mic :p

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #8,481 of 14,773
  if you disable the EQ the sound becomes louder? in ZX1

it's the same with the ZX2, the disable feature originated from the ZX1, and came to the ZX2 thread.

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #8,482 of 14,773
Hi...I've seen some heated argument before but just making sure...

Why do people compare AK240 with the ZX2? Are they really similar in performance?

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #8,483 of 14,773
From: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0315/Interview_Yoshioka_Sony_NW_ZX2.htm

Rochlin: When you disable the Sound Adjustment program, the output level increases dramatically. What is being done internally to then provide a dramatic output when the program is being disabled?

Yoshioka: When the system has its Sound Effect on, the system conducts volume and enhancements. If the volume is at maximum level, the system can not increase the volume more. So the Sound Adjustment reduced the output level to then provide the ability to add increases in output at certain frequencies with the equalizer.

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #8,484 of 14,773
  From: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0315/Interview_Yoshioka_Sony_NW_ZX2.htm

Rochlin: When you disable the Sound Adjustment program, the output level increases dramatically. What is being done internally to then provide a dramatic output when the program is being disabled?

Yoshioka: When the system has its Sound Effect on, the system conducts volume and enhancements. If the volume is at maximum level, the system can not increase the volume more. So the Sound Adjustment reduced the output level to then provide the ability to add increases in output at certain frequencies with the equalizer.

So technically, if this information is correct and nothing is disclosed,

that means that disabling sound adjustments don't alter SQ in anyway, but only to allow space for EQ adjustment ..

Did i get that right ?

(regardless of people hearing improvements, just trying to understand the statement)

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #8,485 of 14,773
Hi...I've seen some heated argument before but just making sure...

Why do people compare AK240 with the ZX2? Are they really similar in performance?

I have not heard them at the same time but I think they at a similar level but different flavour so one will prefer one and somebody else the other. For me it was simple regardless of which one I would have preferred as I could never afford AK240

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #8,486 of 14,773
So technically, if this information is correct and nothing is disclosed,

that means that disabling sound adjustments don't alter SQ in anyway, but only to allow space for EQ adjustment ..

Did i get that right ?

(regardless of people hearing improvements, just trying to understand the statement)

Sound adjustment app already altered the ZX2 sound, unless disabled for Zx2 pure sound
Disabling sound adjustment app will remove all limits that Sony implied upon the stock players and that include Euro volume cap, and or EQ adjustments.
Enabled sound adjustment app again will allow headroom for EQ processing, and also applied the limiter that Sony implied into the stock music player app.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/8295#post_12001421

There are obvious sound quality improvements due to

Sony reduced their quality overall to allow the effects more noticeable such as DSEE and clear audio

All of those were observed by me over a 1 year of ownership. If someone can not hear the improvements, that is fine. I also figured that if someone cared enough, they would have seemed out my post about the changes and effects when the app is disabled. Nuances, but non the less, it is improvements, and that is what every people who take audio quality serious enough would want at all cost

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #8,487 of 14,773
I have not heard them at the same time but I think they at a similar level but different flavour so one will prefer one and somebody else the other. For me it was simple regardless of which one I would have preferred as I could never afford AK240

I see. Thanks for answering. I love the ZX2's sound, but never got a chance to try the AK240 to compare so I am just curious. I am all about engaging myself in musicality rather than be analytical/clinical bout it. :D

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #8,488 of 14,773
i demoed a zx2 again with the gr07. yes i have been going to the sony store with different iems in my collection. it is just that tempting. if there is a low price(750usd) mint condition zx2, i will be buying.

anyway. this is the third time i tried one bringing the "harder to drive" gr07, using the same machine and the same songs i brought. the zx2 seems to struggle a bit with the gr07. it does not have the "body" like with "easier to drive" iems. it still has a little lush and dense feeling, but not that obvious. on the other hand, the treble in comparison has more energy thus sounds brighter.

i don't know if it is the gr07 underpowered so not that much body. and i will not give the final verdict untill my first ciem arrives. i wonder if the trrs configuration can get a different sound signature, but the gr07 has a fix cable and it seems that normally there will be no 3.5mm trrs lying around in local headphone stores.

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #8,489 of 14,773
Just gotten my ZX2 paired with my Unique Melody Mentor, simply awesome. Before the ZX2, I was using the DX90 which I had pair up with a Senn ie800, i think the mentors didn't pair with DX90 well, the sound was too bright, vocals a tad too forward and lacked audio depth. I was torn between the ZX2 and Cowon P1, but in the end went with sony due to the liking of a warmer sound signature. 

Since I had try out the "disable enhancement app", which effectively bumps volume up by roughly 2x. I must say I hear a different sound signature from there, which was close to my previous DX90, more analytical, pronounced details but u lose the whole chunk of warmness with it. In the end I went with a default ZX2, no enhanced enable but still, keeping the app active for a more enjoyable sound signature. But I can totally understand how using a warm IEM, a better sound might be achieved with the "disable enhancement app". 

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #8,490 of 14,773
  Just gotten my ZX2 paired with my Unique Melody Mentor, simply awesome. Before the ZX2, I was using the DX90 which I had pair up with a Senn ie800, i think the mentors didn't pair with DX90 well, the sound was too bright, vocals a tad too forward and lacked audio depth. I was torn between the ZX2 and Cowon P1, but in the end went with sony due to the liking of a warmer sound signature. 

Since I had try out the "disable enhancement app", which effectively bumps volume up by roughly 2x. I must say I hear a different sound signature from there, which was close to my previous DX90, more analytical, pronounced details but u lose the whole chunk of warmness with it. In the end I went with a default ZX2, no enhanced enable but still, keeping the app active for a more enjoyable sound signature. But I can totally understand how using a warm IEM, a better sound might be achieved with the "disable enhancement app". 

i was planning on zx2 + 1964 V6s or something cheaper + UM Miracle.....if only i have that much to spare, i can join your conversation.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back