SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 10, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #7,621 of 14,773
Personally I do not see the difference between high end players and AV equipment (which is unregulated), neither would be affordable by children, so what that is telling me is that the EU don't trust adults to be responsible...

I really don't see, after a certain price point why such rules should exist.

Looking at cars, whether this is an international restriction or not I do not know, however super and hyper cars are limited to 155mph, that is fine as with the exception of Germany and the autobahn, there is no where in Europe that allows you to go even remotely that fast, so whilst limited, it is to a definable limit (155mph regardless of the tyres or the fuel you put in it) somewhat the other way around in audio as there is no concrete way to determine the efficiency of the equipment being plugged in.

Would love to challenge the EU by plugging in a pair of Beyer DT100s into a player and asking them why I cannot hear them!

Sorry if the above is gibberish, very early morning and I have that horrible fuzzy head sensation right now.

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #7,622 of 14,773
Personally I do not see the difference between high end players and AV equipment (which is unregulated), neither would be affordable by children, so what that is telling me is that the EU don't trust adults to be responsible...

Looking at cars, whether this is an international restriction or not I do not know, however super and hyper cars are limited to 155mph, that is fine as with the exception of Germany and the autobahn, there is no where in Europe that allows you to go even remotely that fast, so whilst limited, it is to a definable limit (155mph regardless of the tyres or the fuel you put in it) somewhat the other way around in audio as there is no concrete way to determine the efficiency of the equipment being plugged in.

Would love to challenge the EU by plugging in a pair of Beyer DT100s into a player and asking them why I cannot hear them!

Sorry if the above is gibberish, very early morning and I have that horrible fuzzy head sensation right now.

Completely agree.  Unfortunately, with bureaucracies you never know what it will focus on and in our current era of  "nanny" governments the unexpected and ridiculous is the norm.  Sit down, buckle up and hold on because the the eventual blowback will be significant. 

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #7,624 of 14,773
Hi Whitigir and thank you for your reply.

I have another which also do not play (details below). Have you any idea why this is so?

Number of tracks:  5

Official DR value: DR13
Samplerate:        88200 Hz

Channels:          6

Bits per sample:   24

Bitrate:           7418 kbps

Codec:             FLAC

Is it because this is "surroundsound" audio for a system with 6 speakers?

The zx2 does not support multi channel, i have tried a 6 channel flac a few months back.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #7,625 of 14,773

While this is true and I personally agree with you, it's also a little bit shortsighted to say that the policy doesn't make sense. The audiophile community is still incredibly small compared to the mass market where 98% of the people are listening with crappy earbuds from iphones and ipods. In that case a lot of people might tend to max out the volume because you slowly adjust to higher volumes, which might cause damage especially with cheap, higher pitched earbuds. I know I used to back in the day..

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #7,626 of 14,773
  While this is true and I personally agree with you, it's also a little bit shortsighted to say that the policy doesn't make sense. The audiophile community is still incredibly small compared to the mass market where 98% of the people are listening with crappy earbuds from iphones and ipods. In that case a lot of people might tend to max out the volume because you slowly adjust to higher volumes, which might cause damage especially with cheap, higher pitched earbuds. I know I used to back in the day..

ZX2 is targeted at audiophiles and not the mass market and that's why it doesn't come with supplied headfones.The policy doen't make sense period.I agree with your second statement that audiophile community is very small which essentially means Sony doesn't give a @@ck about us as long as we spent our money on them.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #7,627 of 14,773
Yes that's true, but then you'd have to define where audiophile market starts and consumer market ends, which is ultimately arbitrary. Is the cutoff point $800 or $200? Like is the the Fiio X3II for mass market or audiophiles. And even so, using iems on max volume might still cause damage even though its underpowered for headphones.

Again I'm not saying I'm for or against it, I'm just saying I understand the policy and it's difficult to enforce separately for higher end products. Since there are no taxes involved, there is no ulterior motive for the EU, their only goal is to look out for customers. The EU is a lot more strict than other continents on various areas like food processing etc., when I read about what goes on in different countries I think that's very good.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #7,628 of 14,773
I'm thinking about it from Sony's point of view now.Find a middle ground.If you are so scared of Eu policies and harsh fines because of eula,supply the lower most popular A10 series with headfones so that you can cap the volume to the 85db sound limit and let the high end $1200 ZX2 free of those limitations since you are already not supplying anything so i cannot take you to court and say that the device damaged my hearing because of loudness.Trust me sony is covered easily with this.They just don't want to deal with it and prefer to give the small admittedly number of audiophiles the volume incapable device and keep it quiet.Let's not forget up until now we still didn't know if ZX2 was vol capped or there was just a notification to lower the volume(that alone would be enough to override objections.We warned you but  you didn't listen).

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #7,629 of 14,773
I'm thinking about it from Sony's point of view now.Find a middle ground.If you are so scared of Eu policies and harsh fines because of eula,supply the lower most popular A10 series with headfones so that you can cap the volume to the 85db sound limit and let the high end $1200 ZX2 free of those limitations since you are already not supplying anything so i cannot take you to court and say that the device damaged my hearing because of loudness.Trust me sony is covered easily with this.They just don't want to deal with it and prefer to give the small admittedly number of audiophiles the volume incapable device and keep it quiet.Let's not forget up until now we still didn't know if ZX2 was vol capped or there was just a notification to lower the volume(that alone would be enough to override objections.We warned you but  you didn't listen).

Yes, because financially, Sony doesn't have enough to bother with little law suits here and there. Sony is not what it used to be anymore.

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #7,630 of 14,773
Yes, because financially, Sony doesn't have enough to bother with little law suits here and there. Sony is not what it used to be anymore.

Well,then i cannot take seriously Sony as an audiophile dap manufacturer and some friends who are getting into this hobby mainly because of me,i will advise them to look elsewhere for a dap
smile.gif

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #7,631 of 14,773
Well,then i cannot take seriously Sony as an audiophile dap manufacturer and some friends who are getting into this hobby mainly because of me,i will advise them to look elsewhere for a dap:smile: .

I only speak the truth about how deep in the mud Sony is. To be fair, there are Japan version out there, and what is so hard about buying them ? 1 year warranty.

I know nothing that can change how Sony is doing their business, and it is not like they don't care. If they do not, then there won't be Japan version or any confirmations about "if you don't want EU cap, you buy other versions"

This confirmation came out as soon as ZX2 released for about 4-5 weeks. Steve R. Already got that interview and publish it on his website. I am sure most people who would spend this kind of money into a music device, would have looked around and done all the researches.

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #7,632 of 14,773
I only speak the truth about how deep in the mud Sony is. To be fair, there are Japan version out there, and what is so hard about buying them ? 1 year warranty.

I know nothing that can change how Sony is doing their business, and it is not like they don't care. If they do not, then there won't be Japan version or any confirmations about "if you don't want EU cap, you buy other versions"

This confirmation came out as soon as ZX2 released for about 4-5 weeks. Steve R. Already got that interview and publish it on his website. I am sure most people who would spend this kind of money into a music device, would have looked around and done all the researches.

I agree with you but there are some small objections.Number one the customs when buying such expensive device,you don't know how much it will cost you in the end and i know the trick that price japan does since i have bought from there,not many do though.Two regional warranty as we have said in previous posts.Three and here is the best part
biggrin.gif
:If you buy from outside Eu union Sony will not service/repair/fix your walkman even once warranty expires  as proedros told me who contacted Sony gr.Essentially you are being penalised and forced to buy from your country.

Again,i was a Sony fan as i have grown up with walkmans as a kid but Sony is playing a dangerous game with audiophiles here and it's not like we have a short  supply of daps these days to choose from.

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #7,634 of 14,773
I had purchased Xperia Z3 Arabia Version, and the screen broke. I called the service center, and they said even it is not the U.S. Region item, they would fix it for me (cost is in me as a repair and not warranty service), and to determine the cost, I had to send it in, then they will contact me with the price, and it would be my decision then.

Unless EU is different from US, from Sony service center services...etc...etc. But if it is what it is, wow...anyways, within the warranty, I can ship to Japan and have it serviced. If out of warranty....buy another one, if I liked it so much, or upgrade to another device. I don't think a good working ZX2 turn bad within a couple years. I know the battery cycles of the built in battery last at least 5 years. Anyways, if my ZX2 turns bad when ZX3 release...Kudo :D

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #7,635 of 14,773
I had purchased Xperia Z3 Arabia Version, and the screen broke. I called the service center, and they said even it is not the U.S. Region item, they would fix it for me (cost is in me as a repair and not warranty service), and to determine the cost, I had to send it in, then they will contact me with the price, and it would be my decision then.

Unless EU is different from US, from Sony service center services...etc...etc. But if it is what it is, wow...anyways, within the warranty, I can ship to Japan and have it serviced. If out of warranty....buy another one, if I liked it so much, or upgrade to another device. I don't think a good working ZX2 turn bad within a couple years. I know the battery cycles of the built in battery last at least 5 years. Anyways, if my ZX2 turns bad when ZX3 release...Kudo
biggrin.gif

Yeah too much hassle.It's like we are in a bar full of beautiful women and the one that you have a soft spot for is playing hard to get,placing too many demands and you as a beta male are at her beck and call forgeting all the other prettier women
biggrin.gif

T.R.A.N.C.E if you are referring to AVLS it comes disabled from the start.Enabling it will just lower the volume further lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back