SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 9, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #7,606 of 14,773

Sony is like a magical black hole.... nothing.

I do also have Pandora and other streaming apps for music from various sources, yet this non-responsive buttons happens when using the Sony stock music player with music files on the player's memory, screen off for 10+ minutes... It might have to do with a 3rd party app somehow yet I'm not that annoyed by it all to get upset. The incredibly long battery life and sound quality keeps me a happy camper plus as it is based on the Android OS it means I can use many more things with it than non-Android-based units. The Sony is still my go-to for very early morning computer coding music player duties.

I vaguely recall this issue being reported shortly after the ZX2 was released—meaning that it effected Japanese models. However, I also want to say that only some were reporting the issue, and there was speculation that the problem may manifest within a certain serial number range?

FWIW, I use the stock player and hardware buttons almost exclusively, and I haven't come across any instances of the hardware buttons not responding.

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #7,607 of 14,773
Might be worth cycling the lock option in the settings, incase the flag for that has goofed a little bit...

I know the volume still confuses me, that you cannot hold it down to raise / lower (lower being the worse of the two that you have to keep repeating the presses)...

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #7,608 of 14,773
Might be worth cycling the lock option in the settings, incase the flag for that has goofed a little bit...

I know the volume still confuses me, that you cannot hold it down to raise / lower (lower being the worse of the two that you have to keep repeating the presses)...

I always thought it a safety feature. To prevent your ears being blasted inadvertently like when in the situation where the + button would be pressed continuously by something in your pocket or a movement. Though I agree with you, the - button should keep lowering and even why not mute, sort of like on the ipad.

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #7,610 of 14,773
After reading 508 pages, I believe Whitgir is working for Sony corp.
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #7,612 of 14,773
Hi,

I'm a novice when it comes to audio but hopefully I've made a good start by purchasing the SONY ZX2 and Shure 846's.

Please may I ask a question of all you professionals out there?

I have several .FLAC files with the following characteristics but my ZX2 is unable to play them.
Firstly why is this and secondly can I convert them into a format which it is able to play?

Samplerate:        88200 Hz
Channels:          6
Bits per sample:   24
Bitrate:           6316 kbps
Codec:             FLAC

Many thanks for any help given.

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #7,613 of 14,773
Hi,

I'm a novice when it comes to audio but hopefully I've made a good start by purchasing the SONY ZX2 and Shure 846's.

Please may I ask a question of all you professionals out there?

I have several .FLAC files with the following characteristics but my ZX2 is unable to play them.
Firstly why is this and secondly can I convert them into a format which it is able to play?

Bitrate:           6316 kbps

Many thanks for any help given.

I am not sure why your ZX2 can not play it, which it should. But if you want to convert your files, here is a free program which is working pretty good
http://audacityteam.org

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #7,614 of 14,773
I have a quick question (hopefully) about hooking up my ZX2 to my Yamaha Aventage RX-A2010 receiver.

I know that a dock exists but I am trying to do it cheaper than the roughly 150.00 the dock costs depending on where you buy.    I also know I can do it using a 3.5mm Male to 2-Male RCA Adapter cable like the one shown in the link below

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Male-2-Male-Adapter/dp/B004YEBK66/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1441838853&sr=1-1&keywords=3.5mm+to+rca

Are there other ways I can hook it up to my receiver?

There is a USB input spot on the front I my receiver is there some way I can use that?

Thanks for any guidance you can give
Mike  

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #7,615 of 14,773
Hi Whitigir and thank you for your reply.

I have another which also do not play (details below). Have you any idea why this is so?

Number of tracks:  5
Official DR value: DR13
Bitrate:           7418 kbps

Is it because this is "surroundsound" audio for a system with 6 speakers?

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #7,617 of 14,773
  To avoid lawsuits apparently.Sony is a much bigger company than fiio,ibasso even A&k who are trying to build their customer base especially among audiophiles and can't afford the luxury of complying with Eula.Don't forget that Sony sells a much bigger number of  walkmans than all those companies combined and you can buy in almost every electronic store.Ask a seller in mediamarkt for an ibasso,astell and kern,cayin and he will look at you like you are from another planet.Don't forget kids also buy walkmans and sony is trying to avoid the slightest hint of smearing the brand if someone accidentally increased the volume and here comes a lawsuit of millions by an angry parent.

Of course it doesn't make sense,since as you said if the device doesn't come with headfones then capping the volume especially since the amp is weak to say the least it would render the device incapable of driving anything apart from the easiest iems and that is the case with all eu walkmans.My question is this:

Do you think Sony cares?They would tell you to buy from another non eula restricted country as if every consumer would know what the hell is going on with the volume cap in Europe.Sony is keeping a hush policy about all this,since they want the walkmans to sell as well in Europe and not just Us and Japan.

That is my take based on the relatively small experience on court and the policy of big companies.

Sandisk is a mainstream company yet they allow people to bypass the volume restriction on their players sold in Europe. I can't see why Sony can't do the same ? There should be some way to override the volume restiction for people who want higher volume.

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #7,618 of 14,773

Sandisk is a mainstream company yet they allow people to bypass the volume restriction on their players sold in Europe. I can't see why Sony can't do the same ? There should be some way to override the volume restiction for people who want higher volume.

No one has tried it /hacked it as of yet.If it is a hardware implementation that they did with eu ZX2 to vol cap i doubt there is an easy workaround.Ideas flying around the web like uploading japanese fw which could brick the device or going into ''service'' mode but all of these are risky and not recommended.With the way older walkmans there were instructions to input the correct sequence of buttons to go into a secret menu and increase the volume but Sony has made it much harder which is a shame because ZX2 is an expensive device targeted at audiophiles and in my opinion the eu model does not fulfill its purpose.

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #7,619 of 14,773
It's been 3 days since I've finally applied the glass protector to my ZX2 (after 3 weeks of avoiding doing it).
Was my first time applying this sort of thing. I'd have wanted do follow the pro tip bathroom steam trick, but instead I went full retard (insert Tropic Thunder voice), and tried applying it in my grandmother's dusty home's dusty dining room table.
  • Removed that Hi-Res sticker with cutter blade 
    regular_smile .gif
  • Started with a spare alcohol wipe given from any restaurants here in Turkey, cleaning the display. 
    wink_face.gif
  • Used the anti dust fabric cloth that came with the box 
  • Used the tiny alcohol wipe from DayJoy to clean again
  • Wiped dry with the cloth till no dust visible
  • Applied the glass, no dust underneath, but off centered 
    frown.gif
  • Cutter blade to lift the glass, wipe , clean dust off
  • Reapply glass, off centered again 
    mad.gif
  • Removed it again, then I see some dust that's underneath the glass 
    confused_face.gif
  • Attempt to use cloth to clean the remove the dust and which makes it worse by making all the dust accumulated from the cloth glue onto the adhesive part of the glass 
    eek.gif
  • Panic by using the alcohol wipes 
    confused_face_2.gif
     which doesn't do jack and makes me worry that I'm removing the adhesive property now 
    confused.gif
  • Out of ideas, glass all dusty, I apply the glass but it's all bubbly and ugly, so I remove it, about to brake it in half. 
    angry_face.gif
  • I see an Anti-dust sticker in the box, the only remaining thing, which isn't even mentioned in the manual/guide. 
    devil_face.gif
    Wait a sec' moment
  • I go all strip waxing motions and to my surprise the glass is clean as mint 
    ph34r.gif
  • I try to apply the glass perfectly centered from top side then lowering till progressively towards the bottom and then I see some special effect magic suction automatically spreading evenly from top to bottom without me doing anything. 0 bubbles. 0 dust. Centered. That sticker was my don't panic towel 
    floatsmile.png

And the bottom line is that my ZX2's is so much more responsive now. It's unbelievable. I can scroll much more precisely and faster too while being able to still read out the lines.
beerchug.gif

It's just a glass. There was no UI change or firmware update. It's just some glass made from sorcery I tell you!

The product in question was the same one that's been linked in this thread a couple times:
http://www.amazon.com/DAYJOY-Premium-Tempered-Protector-Hardness/dp/B00KB1PZ58

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #7,620 of 14,773
  No one has tried it /hacked it as of yet.If it is a hardware implementation that they did with eu ZX2 to vol cap i doubt there is an easy workaround.Ideas flying around the web like uploading japanese fw which could brick the device or going into ''service'' mode but all of these are risky and not recommended.With the way older walkmans there were instructions to input the correct sequence of buttons to go into a secret menu and increase the volume but Sony has made it much harder which is a shame because ZX2 is an expensive device targeted at audiophiles and in my opinion the eu model does not fulfill its purpose.

With the aggressiveness of the EU regulatory arm I suspect many of the mainstream consumer manufacturers such as Sony are spooked.  Huge companies like Google and Microsoft spend huge sums of cash struggling to resist the ridiculous EU bureaucracy. I don't think Sony in its current state wants to deal with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back