SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 8, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #7,576 of 14,773
You know ? I bought my Japan version because I wanted to be one of the many first owner.....and it turned out to be the best blind and impulse purchase I ever done
biggrin.gif

I still love my zx2 tho. the volume cap does not matter with my current portable headphone (b&w p7) and my fullsize th-900's, theyre fine at like 70%.. but still I don't understand why there is a cap on it.

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #7,577 of 14,773

I still love my zx2 tho. the volume cap does not matter with my current portable headphone (b&w p7) and my fullsize th-900's, theyre fine at like 70%.. but still I don't understand why there is a cap on it.

Compliance with a law that exists in Europe that forbids electronic devices  in a nutsell to exceed a volume level to avoid hearing loss which of course does not make any sense since every iem/headfone has different impedance and optimum driving level.The obvious reason why Sony abides by this law while other dap companies do not,i explained a couple pages back.

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #7,578 of 14,773
  Compliance with a law that exists in Europe that forbids electronic devices  in a nutsell to exceed a volume level to avoid hearing loss which of course does not make any sense since every iem/headfone has different impedance and optimum driving level.The obvious reason why Sony abides by this law while other dap companies do not,i explained a couple pages back.

when you talk all lawyer like this , i get excited
tongue.gif
 - i can see you talk that smooth with the hot Greek girls in your lovely town 
biggrin.gif

on topic , my zx2 left germany today and i am counting the days until we unite in a sweet sounding embrace

oooooohhhhhhhhhh the bliss is coming it;s coming yessssssssss 
gs1000.gif

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #7,582 of 14,773

Do you have a link for that thread that explains why Sony caps the volume for Europe ?

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-09-1364_en.htm?locale=en
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2013/02/05/eu_music_volume_limits_shouldn_t_be_ignored_warns_experts
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0315/Interview_Yoshioka_Sony_NW_ZX2.htm

Just a few.Sony just abides,does not explain specifically why they do it.Apple also caps volume,why do big companies do it and smaller,more audiophile oriented don't( or can't afford to)?
rolleyes.gif

Sep 8, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #7,583 of 14,773
  http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-09-1364_en.htm?locale=en
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2013/02/05/eu_music_volume_limits_shouldn_t_be_ignored_warns_experts
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0315/Interview_Yoshioka_Sony_NW_ZX2.htm

Just a few.Sony just abides,does not explain specifically why they do it.Apple also caps volume,why do big companies do it and smaller,more audiophile oriented don't( or can't afford to)?
rolleyes.gif

My understanding has always been this: a company can only comply with those rules if they ship a DAP with a pair of headphones. Since the manufacturer knows PRECISELY how many dB that combination can produce, they can take reasonable action to limit the output to match EU guidelines.

Further, my understanding has also been: companies ship DAPs without headphones to get around the rule. After all, it's unreasonable for a company to cap the volume if they don't know what sort of headphones will be paired with their device.

So, why Sony caps the volume of the EU ZX2—even though it ships with no headphones—is mysterious to me.

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #7,585 of 14,773

My understanding has always been this: a company can only comply with those rules if they ship a DAP with a pair of headphones. Since the manufacturer knows PRECISELY how many dB that combination can produce, they can take reasonable action to limit the output to match EU guidelines.

Further, my understanding has also been: companies ship DAPs without headphones to get around the rule. After all, it's unreasonable for a company to cap the volume if they don't know what sort of headphones will be paired with their device.

So, why Sony caps the volume of the EU ZX2—even though it ships with no headphones—is mysterious to me.

To avoid lawsuits apparently.Sony is a much bigger company than fiio,ibasso even A&k who are trying to build their customer base especially among audiophiles and can't afford the luxury of complying with Eula.Don't forget that Sony sells a much bigger number of  walkmans than all those companies combined and you can buy in almost every electronic store.Ask a seller in mediamarkt for an ibasso,astell and kern,cayin and he will look at you like you are from another planet.Don't forget kids also buy walkmans and sony is trying to avoid the slightest hint of smearing the brand if someone accidentally increased the volume and here comes a lawsuit of millions by an angry parent.

Of course it doesn't make sense,since as you said if the device doesn't come with headfones then capping the volume especially since the amp is weak to say the least it would render the device incapable of driving anything apart from the easiest iems and that is the case with all eu walkmans.My question is this:

Do you think Sony cares?They would tell you to buy from another non eula restricted country as if every consumer would know what the hell is going on with the volume cap in Europe.Sony is keeping a hush policy about all this,since they want the walkmans to sell as well in Europe and not just Us and Japan.

That is my take based on the relatively small experience on court and the policy of big companies.

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #7,587 of 14,773
  Caruryn, is the SE846 easier to drive than the IE800? would the EU version have enough juice?.. I wish I could try all these IEM's somewhere

Yes,you won't have a problem with se846(all shures) but this iem has varied opinions,as in very loved and very hated/not worth the money here on headfi so if you can audition them do so.If you like deep bass and emphasized percussion of instruments,cymbals,strings e.t.c go for it.If you like treble,energy,sparkle it's a no go.

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #7,588 of 14,773

Quote:
3. The buttons along the side of the player, seem to work sporadically and I can't work out whether there is an issue with my player, or whether there is a glitch in the software?

It's the player. Happens every now and then here as well. I made Sony aware of this problem back in March.

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #7,589 of 14,773
It seems that nowadays flagship audiophiles headphones, IeMs, carry this signature of 846 that you mentioned above, deep bass, emphasized percussion, housing resonances, instruments, cymbals, strings....etc while remaining with realistic tonality and details. It is exactly what the MDR-Z7 and ATH-IM04 are, very similar.

The only thing that is with energy, trebles, sparkles, crazy details that I have had so far is the SA3000, and it is in the age of 10 years ago :D

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #7,590 of 14,773
Skip both and just go for the Angie =)

Haven't touched my IE800 and SE846 since the day I received them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back