SONY NW-ZX2
Jun 26, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #6,121 of 14,773
  I very curious to how people use the memory allocation on the ZX2, for me I only have 5 music video totally at 505MB, for music about 496 including aac, mp3 and flac at 18.15GB, all in the internal memory, although I do have one of those premium sound micro sdxc 64GB cards from Sony inside the unit, but totally empty.

Memory? Surely you mean storage. And I've been curious about those premium cards, but right now I'm only at about 50Gb, still some ways to go yet, hopefully by that time they would have dropped in price :)

Jun 26, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #6,122 of 14,773
Those cards are already dropping in price, in Japan when released it was 18500 yen, many shops still sell them the same price, but you can get them with prices down to approximate 13600 yen like me.

But memory cards has always been very expensive in Japan, and these cards are not available officially outside of Japan.

Jun 26, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #6,123 of 14,773
  I very curious to how people use the memory allocation on the ZX2, for me I only have 5 music video totally at 505MB, for music about 496 including aac, mp3 and flac at 18.15GB, all in the internal memory, although I do have one of those premium sound micro sdxc 64GB cards from Sony inside the unit, but totally empty.

120 gb of hi rez music on the main storage and another 115 on a 128 gb memory card. I only use the DAP for music and don't connect tot he Internet or have any other media than FLAC's or DSD's.

Jun 26, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #6,124 of 14,773
120 gb of hi rez music on the main storage and another 115 on a 128 gb memory card. I only use the DAP for music and don't connect tot he Internet or have any other media than FLAC's or DSD's.
What did you get rid off to increase the space on the player? Mine only comes with 113gb free...

Let me know what I can trim out (did you need to be rooted to do so??) as I'm maxed out space wise on both my unit and my 128gb mSD card...

Jun 26, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #6,125 of 14,773
What did you get rid off to increase the space on the player? Mine only comes with 113gb free...

Let me know what I can trim out (did you need to be rooted to do so??) as I'm maxed out space wise on both my unit and my 128gb mSD card...

Duncan, your post made me go and look at my settings. You're correct, I have 113 gb of internal space also. I'm using just over 110, not 120 gb for music. I was going by memory and was incorrect. Sorry. I didn't remove any apps or play with the OS in any way.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #6,126 of 14,773
Duncan, your post made me go and look at my settings. You're correct, I have 113 gb of internal space also. I'm using just over 110, not 120 gb for music. I was going by memory and was incorrect. Sorry. I didn't remove any apps or play with the OS in any way.
No worries :)

I hate the way ALL manufacturers state that they have more free space than they really do, bugs me that we have to suck it up...

Jun 27, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #6,127 of 14,773

I love to have all my files in Hi RES, But this not always possible, if I have the CD or DVD, not all conversion will come out right, and CD does not classify as HI res, even if you upscale the files, it's still low resolution.
Unlike many members here, I'm not an expert, but just someone who love good quality music, and to be honest, AAC, Mp3 or Flac, they all most likely sound the same to me if the files quality is good.

98% of my Mp3 are 320KBPS, a few at 192KBPS, a few AAC 320 LC, the rest are FLAC in 16/44.1, 16/48, 24/44.1 and 24/96.

Jun 27, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #6,128 of 14,773
I only have FLAC at 96kHz and Linear PCM 1411 kbps files on mine, how much of an audible difference is the DSD from a FLAC file. I notice the FLAC files have more air and detail to them than my PCM files burned from my CD collection.
I also attach my ZX2 to my home system via 3.5mm/AUX out, and it sounds fantastic. I just ordered this cable http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V436UQU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 , SPDIF Digital Coaxial Audio Cable - 3.5mm (1/8") , will let you know if it sounds any better than it currently does.

Jun 27, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #6,132 of 14,773
its so strange that each dap has its own supporters, like when i ask in the cowon p1 thread they all say the p1 is much better than the zx2 in sound quality

i really wish i had the chance to to audion daps before buying but in my country that is not  a possibilty at all

Jun 27, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #6,134 of 14,773
I only have FLAC at 96kHz and Linear PCM 1411 kbps files on mine, how much of an audible difference is the DSD from a FLAC file. I notice the FLAC files have more air and detail to them than my PCM files burned from my CD collection.
I also attach my ZX2 to my home system via component and it sounds fantastic.

I agreed, I connected my ZX2 to my loud system setup, and it is super addictive!

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #6,135 of 14,773
Hey Now,

I have loaded up a 128GB Lexar Micro SD card with about 123GB of ALAC files and the internal storage is for DSD and HiRez FLAC and all my downloaded offline Tidal files (46 GB used so far). I have just started collecting Hi-Rez and DSD files. I have only one lossy MP3 album on the Micro SD card, an old bootleg by the Rolling Stones called Trident Mixes or Demos, otherwise all are lossless files.

I can't believe how good the ZX2 sounds. I hear details and layering that I do not hear on my desktop systems (a Meier Daccord and a Meridian Explorer). I live out in the country and use satellite for my internet access, so streaming Tidal uses up quite a bit of my download allowance.  Satellite internet is slower and costs more, but that is the price you pay for being out in the country.

I just received the WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable for HiRez Audio Output cable. I tried hooking it up to my Daccord and Explorer, no joy. No luck, I was wondering if I had to do some sort of configuration setting, but couldn't find anything . . . could I have a faulty cord???. Well I tried a third USB DAC I had, an iFi DSD Nano DAC and it worked fine. I think it worked because it had its own battery power to use. The Meridian uses the USB power and there may not be enough from the ZX2. I do not know why the Daccord would not work. Perhaps some sort of USB handshake with the computer that the ZX2 does not provide???

This is important because I download albums and music at work from Tidal and listen to it at home in the offline mode. Saves my download allowance and I scam my employer's internet 8^). I am using the Nano as a USB/SPDIF converter and used the coax out to my Audio-gd REF5 DAC and it sounds terrific. At work I just use the ZX2 with my JVC HP DX1000 headphones now and my overhead bookcase is empty of all my gear. At home I can play my downloaded Tidal files over my speaker systems with digital out or LOD. It is a good bit of kit that Sony has made, it is a very versatile unit. DSD and HiRez files sound better through the Sony than the Nano DAC. I am loving my ZX2 so far.

Tomorrow I have about 3 1/2 hours of being on the tractor and I will be enjoying some nice tunes while riding around. I just need to get some new IEMs 8^).

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back