SONY NW-ZX2
Jun 25, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #6,091 of 14,755
I am based in the UK so I cant take advantage of that crutchfield deal unfortunately. I would no doubt get hit with import tax and probably end up paying more than just getting it here new. I wish I could though! that works out at about £650. The cheapest I can find it here is for £915 which equates to about 1440 USD. We get screwed on electronics in the UK for some reason :frowning2:

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #6,092 of 14,755
Are you sure you didn't get the manual, it's under the cloth cover where the unit is position, I though I didn't get one either, but search around and found it, also I have a lot of mp3 on mine, as many of my collection are mp3, but I do try to convert some of them if I have time, as I do have the original on CD and DVD.

Just one question if I use mediamonkey to convert a CD 16bit/44.1Mhz to 24bit/48Mhz, am I correct to assume I won't gain any advantage in sound quality.

Thanks
Well here is an interesting article for you in regards to sound quality and different audio formats, https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr12/articles/lost-in-translation.htm

I will check to see about the manual and let you know if it was where you said it was.

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #6,093 of 14,755
eBayUS has them listed for less than $1000 for the Japan version, hopefully it will come a bit more:ok_hand:
I am based in the UK so I cant take advantage of that crutchfield deal unfortunately. I would no doubt get hit with import tax and probably end up paying more than just getting it here new. I wish I could though! that works out at about £650. The cheapest I can find it here is for £915 which equates to about 1440 USD. We get screwed on electronics in the UK for some reason :frowning2:

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #6,094 of 14,755
Just bought one ZX2 today in Malaysia.
RM4999, about USD 1300.

additional goodies offered: SONY headphones MDR10R, one nice case and a microSD card...

i'm currently enjoying it

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #6,095 of 14,755
Well here is an interesting article for you in regards to sound quality and different audio formats, https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr12/articles/lost-in-translation.htm

I will check to see about the manual and let you know if it was where you said it was.

Nice article, thanks for sharing.

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #6,096 of 14,755

It's your import tariffs.

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #6,097 of 14,755

Well then time to hop on a plane  :)    Frankly, I have found universal fit IEMS never sound quite as good as custom IEMs. Have heard the universal Angie and Layla, and have custom UE 18 Pro, JH 13, Roxanne and K10. K10 for the win, with the UE18 Pro for mastering/accuracy. Waiting on the A12 as am getting a few sets of impressions done Thursday. Of course there is personal preference PLUS I'm waiting on the Double Helix silver wire / cable for the CIEM Roxannes in hopes that helps improve their resolution and adds to their ability to render dynamic shading. I want to love the Roxannes, yet something is holding them back whereas the K10 reigns supreme in so many ways.

Am enjoying music via the K10 right now.
etysmile.gif

Of course all the above is JMHO. We all have preferences.

Ok, time to get back to reviewing the Astell&Kern Jr. As always in the end what really maters is that you...

Steven, first of all, big thanks for you excellent and very thorough review of the ZX-2.  I think your review and comparison to A&K 240 finally convinced me in favor of the Sony unit which I very much enjoy at the moment.  I understand K10 is your all time favorite, but I will have to wait for my first CIEM for several months and desperately need some good cans now.  Maybe you had a chance to try the ZX-2 with some good quality over-ear or on-year?  Or I should just forget on-ears and over-ears and get some universal IEM while I wait for my custom ones.  Would be grateful for any recommendation. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #6,098 of 14,755
Hi All, I'm ready to pull the trigger. I'm in the U.S. and am seeing the different versions. It appears that Amazon has the Japanese version cheapest. What are the advantages/drawbacks to the U.S. And Japanese versions and buying a Japanese version on Amazon or eBay?
Thanks
Mike

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #6,099 of 14,755
Hi All, I'm ready to pull the trigger. I'm in the U.S. and am seeing the different versions. It appears that Amazon has the Japanese version cheapest. What are the advantages/drawbacks to the U.S. And Japanese versions and buying a Japanese version on Amazon or eBay?
Thanks
Mike
Did you read my post, I bought a new one from Crutchfield for $1019, the US version.

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #6,101 of 14,755
Question, folks, would it be safe to charge the ZX2 plugged into the Anker 60W 6-Port Desktop USB Charger (http://www.ianker.com/product/A2123111)?  So far I've just been charging via plugged into my Laptop PC.  I charge all my other devices (smartphone, iPad, etc) using the Anker, I don't see why it would hurt the ZX2.  However according to the Sony manual it states to charge via plugged into PC.  The Anker is supposed to use IQ Technology to detect the safest and quickest method to charge to device. 

Also has anyone figured out how to delete some of the home screens?  It comes with 5 and I only need 2.

Thanks.

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #6,102 of 14,755
  Question, folks, would it be safe to charge the ZX2 plugged into the Anker 60W 6-Port Desktop USB Charger (http://www.ianker.com/product/A2123111)?  So far I've just been charging via plugged into my Laptop PC.  I charge all my other devices (smartphone, iPad, etc) using the Anker, I don't see why it would hurt the ZX2.  However according to the Sony manual it states to charge via plugged into PC.  The Anker is supposed to use IQ Technology to detect the safest and quickest method to charge to device. 

Also has anyone figured out how to delete some of the home screens?  It comes with 5 and I only need 2.

Thanks.

Any USB charger with output of 5-5.2V, 750mAh+ will work, sony does not state you have to use a PC USB only, they also have power adapter with USB output available as a optional accessories, it's just that you pay so much, they are too cheap to put one in the box
wink_face.gif

I've also asked about the home screen a few pages back, I only need one, but I don't think it can be removed.
My way is to put a music player widget on every home screen, that way it makes no differences which screen I'm on.

Jun 25, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #6,103 of 14,755
Any USB charger with output of 5-5.2V, 750mAh+ will work, sony does not state you have to use a PC USB only, they also have power adapter with USB output available as a optional accessories, it's just that you pay so much, they are too cheap to put one in the box:wink_face: . 

I've also asked about the home screen a few pages back, I only need one, but I don't think it can be removed.
My way is to put a music player widget on every home screen, that way it makes no differences which screen I'm on.
try Nova Launcher.

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #6,104 of 14,755
Just bought one ZX2 today in Malaysia.
RM4999, about USD 1300.

additional goodies offered: SONY headphones MDR10R, one nice case and a microSD card...

i'm currently enjoying it

Ohh and I just listed mine for sale in Malaysia lol. Could have saved you RM1K if you didn't mind used like new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back