SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 25, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #3,571 of 14,773
  http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/91796638-post190.html
damn.....this is really something

I disagree with the comparison between DX100 and R10 at that link. I had both and sold the DX100 since I much preferred the R10. Actually I love the R10 sound and so far I failed to find any player genuinely superior to that (although I did not try the AK240). Of course that is based on my personal preferences and my use of the players.

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #3,572 of 14,773
Need more reviews on the unit...anyone mind to?

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #3,573 of 14,773
  http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/91796638-post190.html
damn.....this is really something

The reality is that not to many people have heard the ZX2 in a proper setting, it just came out! There are very few out there that can really have a trustworthy opinion about it.
Just by the tone of the post and because he owns a dx100, I call this BS

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #3,574 of 14,773
The reality is that not to many people have heard the ZX2 in a proper setting, it just came out! There are very few out there that can really have a trustworthy opinion about it.

I am with you here. He did not have any picture, and his review is really BS up there. Such player as ZX2 can not be simply reviewed by the term of bass control lol.

So here is the review you really want to see. Battle of the Titans ...ZX2 vs AK240

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0315/Astell_Kern_AK240_Vs_Sony_NW_ZX2_Walkman_Review.htm

Quoted:

Here are the deeper details. With the Sony NW-ZX2 the instruments simply flow with a smoothness and rendered with ease. Each instruments space and extremely subtle dynamics are there for all to hear. These points are usually what vinyl folks always say digital lacks, and in many circumstances they are right. The Sony is a game changer in so many ways plus you can take it with you for an off-road bike ride, in the car, the train, subway, etc. Try that with vinyl! About two years ago i said at a conference that we'd be doing 'DAC Of The Month' and as much as i personally tried avoiding that dilemma, it looks like i, too, fell for it. Yes the AK240 was King of the Hill back in its day, yet the more people listen to the Sony and post about it on discussion boards, the more music lovers will realize the importance of this new Hi-Res Audio portable media player.

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #3,575 of 14,773
I am with you here. He did not have any picture, and his review is really BS up there. Such player as ZX2 can not be simply reviewed by the term of bass control lol.

So here is the review you really want to see. Battle of the Titans ...ZX2 vs AK240

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0315/Astell_Kern_AK240_Vs_Sony_NW_ZX2_Walkman_Review.htm

Quoted:

Here are the deeper details. With the Sony NW-ZX2 the instruments simply flow with a smoothness and rendered with ease. Each instruments space and extremely subtle dynamics are there for all to hear. These points are usually what vinyl folks always say digital lacks, and in many circumstances they are right. The Sony is a game changer in so many ways plus you can take it with you for an off-road bike ride, in the car, the train, subway, etc. Try that with vinyl! About two years ago i said at a conference that we'd be doing 'DAC Of The Month' and as much as i personally tried avoiding that dilemma, it looks like i, too, fell for it. Yes the AK240 was King of the Hill back in its day, yet the more people listen to the Sony and post about it on discussion boards, the more music lovers will realize the importance of this new Hi-Res Audio portable media player.

Steven's review is currently one of the few decent reviews on ZX2, maybe the only one. Thats why i was asking we need more decents review on the unit. Look at amazon reviews, they are all jokes..

I think he also has ZX2

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #3,577 of 14,773
There is one review on head-fi product page, the review is also about UI only....which to me is not really a review but more like UI examination...

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #3,578 of 14,773
Just ordered mine from Crutchfield earlier today and it will apparently be here Friday. I was actively looking at the Astell&kern ak 240 and also the 120 II. I am currently using a Centrance m8 with an Apple 64 Gig Itouch and a variety of headphones (Audeze LCDX, Sennheiser 600. Hifiman RE-800 IEM) but I wanted something as a stand alone for walking with IEM's that could also be used in conjunction with the M8. The AK 240, while very nice, is just more than I want to spend and it is already "old" in terms of other, newer portables. I suspect Astell&kern will be releasing new devices in the near term (May/June timeframe) so that enterd into my decision making process. Crutchfield also has a 60 day no hassle return process so trying the ZX2 seemed like a good idea. All of the comments and positive reviews were helpful as well since there isn't any place nearby to see/test these devices. I rely heavily on head-fi and I haven't been disappointed so far! I am also anxious to try them with my Beyerdynamic P51 on ear headphones as well. I'll provide feedback on my experience.

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #3,579 of 14,773
Don't think. He doesn't have one
biggrin.gif

IMO that forum is full of "kids" that go listen to new things for a few minutes at the shops in Singapore. Certainly better than nothing but still far from a trustworthy opinion.

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #3,580 of 14,773
Is it possible to edit the sorting or the metadata for my music files that are on the NW-ZX2?

Example 1: I set up all my music in iTunes so that an album by "Brad Mehldau Trio" as "artist" has "Brad Mehldau" as "album artist".  That way all of my Brad Mehldau albums end up in the same folder in my iTunes library.  But the NW-ZX2 lists albums by artist, not by album artist.  Is it possible to display album artists rather than artists on the NW-ZX2?

Example 2: In my iTunes library, I might have an album called "Houses of the Holy 2014" to distinguish last year's remaster from, say, "Houses of the Holy needle drop".  But I'm only going to put one version on my NW-ZX2... can I edit the album title once the album is on the NW-ZX2 to just plain "Houses of the Holy"?

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #3,581 of 14,773
I was thinking about ZX1 before for all the needs to use CIEM comfortably so basically no regrets for me getting ZX2 to replace that old R10. I dont even think about returning it as long as its good sounding, great UI and battery life...size also

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #3,582 of 14,773
I was thinking about ZX1 before for all the needs to use CIEM comfortably so basically no regrets for me getting ZX2 to replace that old R10. I dont even think about returning it as long as its good sounding, great UI and battery life...size also

You will not regret it. You will just be addicted to it....like I am :D. What do you want to know about it ?

Mar 25, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #3,583 of 14,773
You will not regret it. You will just be addicted to it....like I am
biggrin.gif
. What do you want to know about it ?

Since you asked me what i would like to know. Im just curious how it is compared to HDP R10/ DX100

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #3,584 of 14,773
anyone facing parts of the song being skipped or jerky while using Spotify with Clearaudio+ being turn on?

the skipping part will go away when the screen is not in sleep mode, or when Clearaudio+ is turned off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back