SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 24, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #3,542 of 14,773
I was waiting for a very good dap that could do spotify and offer long battery. It's long overdue and Sony was the first to get on it. I looked at some cheaper kickstarter projects but they are all vapour ware at this point. I didn't want to wait until end of the year. I also didn't care about Fiio x7, even with Spotify, because of it's poor battery life. In my view, it's ridiculous to spend ANY money on a player that can only offer ten hours of playtime. For video, that's a fair number, but not for audio.

There is a huge market now for streaming services and Sony is the only player that offers top tier SQ not only for your own files, but for streaming. Half my audio time is now spent streaming and downloading NEW material off Spotify. It's so much more fun than going through my sd cards, figuring out what to put on them, hooking up to the PC, dragging and dropping. I'm really tired of that. I have 700 gigs of accumulated material over the years and I'm often bored with all of it. I also have a substantial collection of vinyl recorded on $50,000 worth of top of the line equipment. A lot of it sounds better on Spotify. Why? Because a lot of Spotify albums are now remastered. Even comparing original lp rips to the Spotify non remastered versions are very close. There is no large gap in quality anymore, even using the best recorded vinyl sources.

Spotify is what keeps me interested in music; as I'm not just listening to the same tired albums I've heard for 35 years. The new groups I have discovered in just the last week using 'browse recommendations' on spotify is incredible. There is no way I would have ever heard these bands on my own. Now my A17 sits unused, mainly because it doesn't let me stream.

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #3,543 of 14,773
This is not the first time Sony has made an audiophile product. Anybody here familiar with MDR-R10 back in the days? you would be surprised up until today, not many people except for audiophile, audio professionals know about it

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #3,544 of 14,773
Here, follow this link

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0315/Interview_Yoshioka_Sony_NW_ZX2.htm

Buried on the page: "The four-pole headphone jack has separate signal ground, yet is not a true balanced circuitry. The separate grounds provide higher stereo separation."

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #3,545 of 14,773
Is it JH13 FP or regular ver you are talking about? also what kind of cable are you currently using with it? I have a litz silver cable and mine is FP version, might think about upgrading the current plug to TRRS 3.5 balanced

Standard, this was before they has FP. As for cable, stock (ducks for cover from flying silver cables being thrown at me). Am just getting 'into' diff cables now and one arrived here today to try and see how fitting/etc is before the 'real one' arrives.

You are very brave Steven! I work out with a iPod Nano and Shures 215 (old school model) as I don't want to damage my new toy. :)

Well, was debating using the AK240(!) and might do that to save the NW-ZX2. Have an AK120 here, too. It's right over there (points to the live streaming 1080 rez TV studio on the other side of this room). If I could find a BP-2 battery could use the D-555 or D-25, but how embarrassing would it be to carry CDs to the gym? Now the D-88, THAT is a sweet lookin' player with the disc hanging outside of it (1980s flashbacks begin..... NOW).

As always, thanks for chiming in Steven! I'm going to CamJam SoCal this weekend and will try the K10s, Roxannes, Leylas and Angies. The hope is that they have a show discount. :) Realistically though the Laylas are out of my price ranged specially since I just got the ZX2.   
BTW - What's special about the cable you are getting made for the K10s?

These that just arrived from Double Helix today for a personal test (not review), but i'm going for more... with all silver.... plus a bit more rose gold.... If Warren Chi sees this pic, he knows what direction I'm going
biggrin.gif

To me the K10 are the closest IEMs I have heard to date that come even close to my speakers which are a special version of Von Schweikert VR6s (out of production). The key for me is the smooth transition across frequencies and the dynamic almost tactile nature of the sound.

Hmmm, kinda yes. With the Sony it is kinda like the Goldmund Apologue 25th Anniversary mixed with the MBL 101 X-treme (when setup properly) and a touch of Infinity IRS V (with massive wattage, tubes on top, SS for the woofer towers). The K-10 have some of the most impressive lower low low DEEP bass octaves or three I have ever heard ANYWHERE in my life other than perhaps the VERY rare car audio system. Highs of the K-10 are like ribbons, very extended frequency smooth ribbons.

JMHO of course. The NW-ZX2 and K-10 CIEM really have amazed me and rocked my world on the TRUE possibility of what IEMs and a PMP can do. Now the wife wants the same setup so looks like at AXPONA I'm gonna be out a few bucks.
eek.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #3,546 of 14,773

Standard, this was before they has FP. As for cable, stock (ducks for cover from flying silver cables being thrown at me). Am just getting 'into' diff cables now and one arrived here today to try and see how fitting/etc is before the 'real one' arrives.

would you upgrade to FP? i suggest doing so as they are offering it. I dont know how the original sounds but my FP ver sounds so good. I'm going to upgrade to TRRS Balanced soon

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #3,547 of 14,773
  Does anyone here use TRRS 3.5m balanced cable? im going to modify my plug but wondering how is it going to be wired (sorry , im new to this). Any helps? thanks

I was going to ask the same thing... Thanks gearofwar

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #3,548 of 14,773
  would you upgrade to FP? i suggest doing so as they are offering it. I dont know how the original sounds but my FP ver sounds so good. I'm going to upgrade to TRRS Balanced soon

Sure, am always willing to change up and heard good things about FP from Mercer. Will bring them to AXPONA.

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #3,549 of 14,773

Spotify is what keeps me interested in music; as I'm not just listening to the same tired albums I've heard for 35 years. The new groups I have discovered in just the last week using 'browse recommendations' on spotify is incredible. There is no way I would have ever heard these bands on my own. Now my A17 sits unused, mainly because it doesn't let me stream.

Spatzi (or anyone interested in streaming), check out Tidal for even higher audio quality.  While the maximum quality available on Spotify is 320k, Tidal is lossless.  A slightly smaller library than Spotify but I can't find much that I want missing (except stuff missing from all streaming services like the ECM Records catalog.)  It costs $20/month rather than $9.99.  There's an Android Tidal app available free in the Google Play store and it works perfectly with the NW-ZX2.

I am not sure under which conditions I could definitively hear Tidal's audio superiority over Spotify, but I will say that Tidal playing through my home audio system sounds better than any other external source (i.e. broadcast radio, the internet, streaming, Spotify, etc.) in my home.

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #3,550 of 14,773
Currently letting my ZX2 burn in (it's early so only about 8 hours so far), but I'm really liking the pairing with the Oppo PM-3. Really nice portable setup. Looking for an IEM that will compliment the ZX2 now.

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #3,551 of 14,773
Guys,

Crutchfield now has the zx2 in stock. I talked to the sale rep and they have about 10 units available. Better act fast!

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #3,553 of 14,773

Spatzi (or anyone interested in streaming), check out Tidal for even higher audio quality.  While the maximum quality available on Spotify is 320k, Tidal is lossless.  A slightly smaller library than Spotify but I can't find much that I want missing (except stuff missing from all streaming services like the ECM Records catalog.)  It costs $20/month rather than $9.99.  There's an Android Tidal app available free in the Google Play store and it works perfectly with the NW-ZX2.

I am not sure under which conditions I could definitively hear Tidal's audio superiority over Spotify, but I will say that Tidal playing through my home audio system sounds better than any other external source (i.e. broadcast radio, the internet, streaming, Spotify, etc.) in my home.

Tidal is what got me started to look at the ZX2!  If not for that, I would probably have an AK by now, though listening through an iPhone, CLAS, and Pure II is not a bad way to go.  Still thinking I'd like to streamline it with a ZX2 standalone though.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #3,555 of 14,773
Guys,

Crutchfield now has the zx2 in stock. I talked to the sale rep and they have about 10 units available. Better act fast!

Purk...thanks for this...I just ordered from Crutchfield...shopping cart indicated item was in stock and I appear to have a March 30 delivery date.  I hope this is not some trick by Crutchfield to build pre orders.  I have been on Sony's pre-order list since February 28 and saw how so many others had received theirs from Sony so I cancelled my Sony pre order just minutes ago, figuring a February 28 position in line at Sony wasn't nearly as good as Crutchfield having the ZX2 now.  Will be nice to finally get this unit...I am upgrading from a NWZ-A17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back