SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 24, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #3,527 of 14,773
  I check a file that was missing the artist and album but when clicking 'Get Info' the correct artist and album are listed.  Now I'm totally confused lol.

I would suggest taking one file with incorrect information, and delete it from the ZX2.

Then, rather than drag and drop that same file from iTunes, use Windows Explorer (or Finder, if you're using a Mac) to locate that same file and drag and drop it onto the ZX2.

If it then shows up OK, you can be sure that iTunes is doing something unusual to the files when it transfers them over.

If it still shows up wrong, well...not really sure what to say in that case. I haven't come across any incorrect information like this yet. But then, I'm organizing all my files through Sony's Media Go software.

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #3,528 of 14,773
Does anyone here use TRRS 3.5m balanced cable? im going to modify my plug but wondering how is it going to be wired (sorry , im new to this). Any helps? thanks

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #3,529 of 14,773

Title, artist and track # didn't seem to transfer for some files.  If they are listed and tagged correctly in iTunes, I thought all of that information would have carried over.

I use iTunes and everything seems to work correctly. I many other types of files also and they all play and are in order. I put them in the music folder. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #3,530 of 14,773
  I check a file that was missing the artist and album but when clicking 'Get Info' the correct artist and album are listed.  Now I'm totally confused lol.

Only some of the album files?  Are the ones missing the info a different format (aiff, alac, etc.) than the ones that do show up?

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #3,531 of 14,773
  Well, it's not made for, nor targeted at regular consumers.

Those people are perfectly happy with their subsidized iPhones or Android phones (in some cases, having paid "0" for the device). The idea of paying four figures for something that they can get for "free" would seem ridiculous to them.

It'd be similar to advertising a Bugatti Veyron to people who only buy Ford Focuses. The thought of owning a Veyron is a completely alien and incomprehensible idea to those people—never mind that most would never be able to reasonably afford one.

Good point but then I don't see people trashing Veyrons because they can't afford them. They may admire them, as with many ultra expensive cars, but they don't feel the need to tear them down. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #3,532 of 14,773

check the version of the id3 data on the files. 2.3 or 2.4. sony is usually not a fan of 2.4, but this one being android I can't say for sure.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #3,533 of 14,773

Good point but then I don't see people trashing Veyrons because they can't afford them. They may admire them, as with many ultra expensive cars, but they don't feel the need to tear them down. 

I think it may come down to how its advertised and perceived.

Bugatti doesn't take out advertisements on billboards in the blue collar section of a town, or play commercials during re-runs of Cheers. Bugatti advertises in Cigar Aficionado or Wine Prospector Magazine (okay, I don't know that for certain, but I'm using it as likely examples). The Veyron is a super high-end product and everyone—even us ordinary pleebs—know that it's not "meant" for regular consumers.

When Sony says, "Hey America, here's our new Walkman!", that word carries a lot of weight. Many people remember having Walkmans (or Discmans) as kids or young adults. And more than likely, they associate the term with a certain degree of affordability. When those same people find out that the new "Walkman" costs more than some used cars, they scoff and are appalled. Perhaps they even feel a little betrayed. Maybe they were looking forward to a new Walkman for $100-$200 dollars. But $1,200?

Sony hasn't really done anything to explain to "regular consumers" why a Walkman should cost so much. Or maybe they shouldn't have called it a Walkman.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #3,534 of 14,773

Bugatti doesn't take out advertisements on billboards in the blue collar section of a town, or play commercials during re-runs of Cheers. Bugatti advertises in Cigar Aficionado or Wine Prospector Magazine (okay, I don't know that for certain, but I'm using it as likely examples). The Veyron is a super high-end product and everyone—even us ordinary pleebs—know that it's not "meant" for regular consumers.

When Sony says, "Hey America, here's our new Walkman!", that word carries a lot of weight. Many people remember having Walkmans (or Discmans) as kids or young adults. And more than likely, they associate the term with a certain degree of affordability. When those same people find out that the new "Walkman" costs more than some used cars, they scoff and are appalled. Perhaps they even feel a little betrayed. Maybe they were looking forward to a new Walkman for $100-$200 dollars. But $1,200?

Sony hasn't really done anything to explain to "regular consumers" why a Walkman should cost so much. Or maybe they shouldn't have called it a Walkman.

Good points. And like many things Sony has done in the past, they develop a product, often good, but fail to explain it and the benefits. They need a department for that. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #3,536 of 14,773

Keep in mind the original walkman cost over $200 US in 1980. That was a LOT of money back then. I know, because I bought one at the time. Price adjusted, you would be paying $600 for that simple cassette deck today. $1200 for what you get with zx2 doesn't seem so bad now does it?

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #3,537 of 14,773

Keep in mind the original walkman cost over $200 US in 1980. That was a LOT of money back then. I know, because I bought one at the time. Price adjusted, you would be paying $600 for that simple cassette deck today. $1200 for what you get with zx2 doesn't seem so bad now does it?

I agree with you.

But lets keep in mind, we're talking about "regular" consumers. I would wager that exceedingly few will stop to take inflation into consideration. All they'll remember is that they paid $200 for a Walkman then; why shouldn't a Walkman cost $200 now?

Again—Sony really needs to explain the why.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #3,538 of 14,773

But, walkman was a pioneer product in 80's. Today its just another DAP, you forgot about the competition.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #3,539 of 14,773
The question that comes to me about these expensive audio devices is: "How much of the price comes from building the device itself, and how much comes from a person deciding to set a price that will match perceptions of quality?" If Sony can make a ZX2 for $200, does setting the price closer to $1K attract or deter buyers? If someone said "I can sell you an audio player for $100 that will beat the performance of the Sony!" would I buy it, or distrust the ads?

How much of the Veyron's price is for engineering, and how much for marketing cachet? What is good sound worth to me? By current standards the money I invested in stereo gear is middle-of-the-road but by many people's standards I paid way too much... or way too little. Take your pick.

All I really want is a good product that's reliable and sounds good. I used Sony Discman units for years, and they only quit working after too many hours. I'm attracted to the ZX2, but put off by its need for the Android OS and special software on the host computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back