SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 14, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #2,926 of 14,772
Do you know that there are several build numbers around, 1.00.0009, 1.00.0018, & 1.01.**** (afaik)? Mine is the 1st one out of the box w/ 500**** serial. The 2nd one are those out of the box w/ 501**** serial. And, the last one are those from Japan (after update?). The thing is, Sony has not released any software update worldwide until now!

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #2,931 of 14,772
curious question because i never really looked into cables, nor really knew that there was a thing called TRRS until NW-ZX2 thread about 2 months ago....so

I currently have a XBA-Z5 with muc-m12sm1 cable.   Does getting the cable like the one Whitigir ( http://www.head-fi.org/products/ranko-acoustic ) brought up better and how big of a difference?  reason I ask is because the muc-m12sm1 looks like it has thicker cables, which under my impression, if it can drive it, thicker is usually better

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #2,932 of 14,772
old post

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #2,933 of 14,772
  Are there any NW-ZX2 owners here who can test blue-tooth tethering with a mobile 4G device? I want this item for my commute and would like to tether it to my tablets 4G unlimited data plan for streaming and not just Spotify's off line play lists. Much obliged.

do you mean the zx2 connect to a wifi hotspot?

your tablet 4G should be able to create hotspot and then zx2 connect to its wifi right?

Mar 15, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #2,934 of 14,772
Hi Guys,

Quick question for those of you with experience with the Astell & Kern players - specifically the AK100ii.
I'm considering both the Sony ZX2 vs. Astell & Kern AK100ii - where I live I could get either for about the same price (about $1,050)

Has anyone compared the two in terms of sound quality?  Any major differences in sound in either one?

I've compared all the specs...the ZX2 looks to be better in:
-battery life (33hrs vs. 9hrs)
-memory (128gb vs. 64gb)
-can install subscription services like Rdio & Tidal (thanks to android)

However, I like the AK100ii for: 
-it's build quality
-AMOLED screen
-UI/UX and streaming server feature
-analog volume dial  :)

I also noticed the AK120ii tends to get more attention, but not sure if there's a noticeable difference in sound between AK100ii and AK 120ii with main difference being the extra DAC, extra 64gb internal memory and exterior material (back).

Last thing...it may sound silly but not a huge fan of Sony's leather or 'leather-like' material in the back.  Only because in the past I've owned similar stuff from them (also on the higher end) and the material tends to peel or degrade within a couple of years.

I haven't had a chance to listen to either ZX2 or AK100ii so would appreciate any feedback/advice.

Thanks!

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #2,935 of 14,772
Do you know that there are several build numbers around, 1.00.0009, 1.00.0018, & 1.01.**** (afaik)? Mine is the 1st one out of the box w/ 500**** serial. The 2nd one are those out of the box w/ 501**** serial. And, the last one are those from Japan (after update?). The thing is, Sony has not released any software update worldwide until now!

My understanding was that the last section of the version is actually the regional specific version. e.g. 0009 means a certain region.

For example both my ZX1 and ZX2 have build numbers ending in .0003 for UK/Europe. And all the build versions on the ZX1 (there have been 4 if I recall) end with this same suffix.

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #2,937 of 14,772
Yes it is just glass....now how tough ?

Asked Sony if it was Gorilla glass and they chose not answer.

and what will happen if i connect a headphone splitter (for the sharing is caring users) into my walkman and i connect a balanced audio cable to each jack of the Y splitter?

You have a balanced Y splitter? Nice! I used a std stereo splitter and it was fine to share music with my wife. I was using Noble K-10 and she had some standard ???  universal fit IEMs (forget which ones she was using at that time, we have many).

Hi Guys,

Quick question for those of you with experience with the Astell & Kern players - specifically the AK100ii.

Did compare it to the AK120II and the ZX2 is better in imaging, following multi-instrumental music dynamics, stereo separation, resolution, etc. Please see my review:

www.EnjoyTheMusic.com/magazine/equipment/0315/Astell_Kern_AK240_Vs_Sony_NW_ZX2_Walkman_Review.htm

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #2,938 of 14,772
Asked Sony if it was Gorilla glass and they chose not answer

Their sales rep gave me conflicting answers as well. One told me it was gorilla glass while another told me it was tempered glass.

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #2,939 of 14,772

Asked Sony if it was Gorilla glass and they chose not answer.

Curious on this point. For a mobile phone it is I believe a legal requirement in some countries/regions that the glass is toughened. This is to prevent the risk of injury in the case of the phone being dropped. It doesn't have to be Gorilla glass though as of course there are other glass products out there.

I mentioned earlier that Sony did some really strange things in the past where they had a glass top, only then to put a plastic sheet on top of it! They claimed it was to provide an anti-reflective surface, but it defeated the whole point of glass, as it scratched very easily. However, it later transpired the reason Sony did this was to conform with the legal requirements and the plastic layer stopped the glass shattering into dangerous shards.

Does the same rule apply to a DAP? I think not. This is probably why it appears to be plain, non-toughened glass (according to the water drop test mentioned earlier). I suspect they didn't want to get challenged on this aspect and therefore chose not to answer......just a guess :)

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #2,940 of 14,772

Did compare it to the AK120II and the ZX2 is better in imaging, following multi-instrumental music dynamics, stereo separation, resolution, etc. Please see my review:

www.EnjoyTheMusic.com/magazine/equipment/0315/Astell_Kern_AK240_Vs_Sony_NW_ZX2_Walkman_Review.htm

Thanks Steven!  I was actually just reading your review that I can across online when you replied :).  Good reading.
So I guess it's safe to say if you were choosing between the Astell & Kern AK100ii and the Sonly ZX2, you would go for the ZX2?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back