SONY NW-ZX2
Feb 22, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #1,681 of 14,755
can't say it's related with that Sony memory card claim but I just tried three files across each memorycard, Samsung 128gb EVO and a 32gb PRO I had laying around.  These musics were also on the flash of nw-zx2.  Both cards are used products I had from previously (about a year or so).

Now not sure if it's due to way it was written to memory card or not but there is a noticable sound difference...not the quality of the music itself but the EVO has a very low-volumed hiss during no sounds are there but the track still playing. 

The PRO, slightly plays something else for like .2 seconds when changing tracks.  It's not a distort, but an like.2 seconds of a different track on the same card.

the internal memory doesn't have either of those issues above.   

again, using a XBA-Z5 and a Fostex TH-900.  

I have formatted both cards, and tried them twice each. (format x write file)

Good find,
this explains the hiss complaint. Well I think a compatibility memory resource needs to be done, if this DAP is so picky with what micro SD you feed it.

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #1,682 of 14,755
T.R.A.N.C.E. and others: do you think that the audio components in the ZX2 surpass those of the PHA-3 (OS-conns, super capacitors, clocks, DAC chip and such)? I was very close to getting the PHA-3 when this got announced and caught my attention instead. I already have the ZX1 so am in no great need of a new DAP, but always on the hunt for thr next step in SQ :wink: All I miss in the PHA-3 is an S-Master HX chip, but maybe it has a better DAC/amp tech anyway? I can hardly afford both. Also, I've got the MDR-Z7 and am tempted to try balanced :)

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #1,683 of 14,755
T.R.A.N.C.E. and others: do you think that the audio components in the ZX2 surpass those of the PHA-3 (OS-conns, super capacitors, clocks, DAC chip and such)? I was very close to getting the PHA-3 when this got announced and caught my attention instead. I already have the ZX1 so am in no great need of a new DAP, but always on the hunt for thr next step in SQ
wink.gif
All I miss in the PHA-3 is an S-Master HX chip, but maybe it has a better DAC/amp tech anyway? I can hardly afford both. Also, I've got the MDR-Z7 and am tempted to try balanced
smily_headphones1.gif

i think you better go with PHA-3 ... i didn't try any of them but it is nice to have a better and more powerful output .. and i guess it has a better sound quality too 

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #1,685 of 14,755
T.R.A.N.C.E. and others: do you think that the audio components in the ZX2 surpass those of the PHA-3 (OS-conns, super capacitors, clocks, DAC chip and such)? I was very close to getting the PHA-3 when this got announced and caught my attention instead. I already have the ZX1 so am in no great need of a new DAP, but always on the hunt for thr next step in SQ :wink: All I miss in the PHA-3 is an S-Master HX chip, but maybe it has a better DAC/amp tech anyway? I can hardly afford both. Also, I've got the MDR-Z7 and am tempted to try balanced :)

I believe PHA-3 is with better specifications doesn't it ? 34/368 audio quality ? Even balanced cable output as well as many more ?

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #1,687 of 14,755
I'm mostly interested in a comparison from an SQ standpoint. Will probably go for the PHA-3 this time, maybe get the ZX2 next year if no new model is announced.

Another question though, on the Japanese/Hong Kong versions of ZX1/ZX2, did the device automatically lower the volume and display a warning if the volume has been too loud for a few hours? My European ZX1 does this, and if this is a EU only feature I'm not sure if I would get a European version next time (in case I actually get the ZX2).

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #1,690 of 14,755

is even worse in the new PHA-1A... just mere 6 hours

i remember reading few jp blog sites saying hi-res iis about 3-4 hours on pha3

as for sq, can't say for directly, but i'm reading on JP sites that  zx2 + PHA-3 is much better than zx1 + PHA-3.  most of these guys are who didn't like zx1 but liked the zx2...and i guess this also somewhat falls into sony's memory card claim...in a way

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #1,693 of 14,755

Users who are viewing this thread

Back